Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2015, 09:39 PM

10,834 posts, read 14,936,147 times

Advertisements

Nine Australian drug smugglers caught; one 20 year sentence, five life sentences and two death by firing squad sentences.

By all appearance the two sentenced to death are now incarcerated on "Death Island" (that is what they call it) and most likely will be shot sometime early next week.

Death ritual is interesting. It happens at midnight when they drive the condemned to a grassy field in the middle of the jungle. The condemned is asked if he wants to stand, sit or kneel and then is give "three minutes to compose himself" then shot.

The Bali Nine
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2015, 01:47 PM

1,496 posts, read 1,855,638 times
Indonesia is a barbaric country.

Old 04-26-2015, 09:51 AM

750 posts, read 644,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldous9 View Post
Indonesia is a barbaric country.
Naw, they just have strict rules for drugs. I do not have sympathy for these men as they knew of the risk they were taking.

Now the Filipino maid I have a problem with as she could have been tricked into carrying the drugs unknowingly. (havent read the evidence so i might could be wrong)

I wish the US would execute everyone caught in possession of drugs. Drug use would radically decline.

Old 04-26-2015, 10:16 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,922,570 times
Everyone knows that certain south east Asian countries are ultra-strict when it comes to drugs. And if you are in any doubt, the immigration forms generally reinforce the message. So, if you smuggle drugs, you take your chances.

Old 04-26-2015, 12:54 PM

752 posts, read 1,494,471 times
While I certainly do not agree with them being put to death (or the death penalty in general), it is a well known fact, common knowledge really, that most of the southeast Asian counties use the death penalty and other very harsh punishments for a fairly wide range of serious crimes.
Conviction for drug-trafficking is typically met with a very harsh sentence in those countries, and surely these nine had to had known what the risks were: life imprisonment is less-than-humane conditions or death by various execution methods.
While I certainly do not condone what they did, I do feel sympathy for their plight for those to be put to death. I guess I just do not relish in the blood-thirst that some others do.

Old 04-26-2015, 03:54 PM

8,484 posts, read 6,891,592 times
A lot of Asian countries like Indonesia impose the death penalty against drug smugglers. China for instance has had mass executions of smugglers. These countries never seem to really put a dent in the use of drugs in their respective countries.

The people who are behind the manufacture and transportation of drugs seem for the most part to elude capture and punishment. It's almost always the mules who get the bullet to the back of the head.

I suspect there is a terrific amount of corruption in most of these countries and the government officials are paid off by the drug cartels. Meanwhile some low level smugglers are publicly paraded in front of the local press and led off to their deaths to create the false image that there is a genuine war against illegal drugs.

Old 04-26-2015, 05:05 PM

752 posts, read 1,494,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
A lot of Asian countries like Indonesia impose the death penalty against drug smugglers. China for instance has had mass executions of smugglers. These countries never seem to really put a dent in the use of drugs in their respective countries.

The people who are behind the manufacture and transportation of drugs seem for the most part to elude capture and punishment. It's almost always the mules who get the bullet to the back of the head.

I suspect there is a terrific amount of corruption in most of these countries and the government officials are paid off by the drug cartels. Meanwhile some low level smugglers are publicly paraded in front of the local press and led off to their deaths to create the false image that there is a genuine war against illegal drugs.
China has long imposed death on convicted drug smugglers, even big-time dealers (and for many other crimes) and yet, drug use has increased substantially in the last 20 years as China's economy has grown exponentially.
Other countries like Thailand, Indonesia, etc. have also seen no decrease in drug use or cases of smuggling. But they are poor countries, especially when compared to China.
Generally speaking, drug use in a society increases with improved economic conditions---in China (like in the US) the majority of end-users of the drugs like cocaine, hashish, weed, even heroin tend to be middle to upper middle class.

With great amounts of new-found prosperity there, it is not at all surprising drug use has also increased as more and more people have the disposable income to buy these drugs.
As for drug 'mules' or couriers, they have a strong tendency to be young, poor and not very well educated. Many come from rural areas and are unfamiliar with international laws, the drug themselves and the underworld in general. They are recruited for these reasons, among others.
To them a $10,000 USD payday is a substantial sum: many barely make that much in a year in their regular lives, if employed. So, while that might be virtual pennies to the cartels and other big-time players of drug syndicates, it is a very handsome sum for the mules that take the risks of transporting the drugs. Many mules are not even fully aware of the actual risks involved, whether they be legal consequences, danger to their safety and health risks (like swallowing 'pellets' filled with cocaine--if one ruptures before it is passed, they could well die by cocaine poising as the drug is usually in a near-pure state when being transported internationally). The guys who recruit these mules prefer they don't know all the risks and if they are caught, then so be it...they have plenty more that make it. Some are even used as decoys to distract customs while a much larger load goes thru undetected. That decoy then ends up spending hard time in prison, or worse.

So, the big guys shield themselves from the vast majority of the every-day risk--the end users also have comparably little risk as well when compared to the mules and couriers who transport the 'goods'--they run enormous risks of many kinds--and the risk of being caught is significant, especially for those who fit the 'profile'.

In many countries, the US included, Customs, Immigration and Passport agencies have 'profiles' they look for in identifying possible mules and drug couriers. The general traits are male gender, young (often about 18-26), little to average education, poor to middle class or unemployed at the moment, has little if any previous international travel experience and short visits to their destination(s).
(Why would someone working as a cook at a fast-food joint in rural Alabama suddenly be going to Indonesia? Where they have no family, no ties, has never traveled, is having someone else pay for the ticket, is only going for 3 days--). That is a typical mule case. Though many times less obvious people are used, such as middle aged women, women with small children, elderly persons who have traveled, etc...

Old 04-27-2015, 05:45 PM

10,834 posts, read 14,936,147 times
Very sad, from the latest news the executions will take place 17 hours or shortly after 1:00 PM EDT tomorrow (Tuesday).

The ones paying the biggest price will be the families, my heart goes out to them.

I am against the death penalty on religious grounds.

But that said the Bali Nine attempted to smuggle in over 8 kg of heroin which is close to 20 lbs! How many lives can be ruined by 20 lbs of pure heroin? How many people can 20 lbs of pure heroin kill?

Also know this trip was the THIRD heroin smuggling trip organized by Andrew Chan... the first trip he got caught on. These two are not at all like two 19 year olds attempting to smuggle in three marijuana joints for personal use later. I would say if their deaths deter just one young mule then I suppose their deaths serve a small purpose.

Old 04-28-2015, 06:27 PM

1,496 posts, read 1,855,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
Very sad, from the latest news the executions will take place 17 hours or shortly after 1:00 PM EDT tomorrow (Tuesday).

The ones paying the biggest price will be the families, my heart goes out to them.

I am against the death penalty on religious grounds.

But that said the Bali Nine attempted to smuggle in over 8 kg of heroin which is close to 20 lbs! How many lives can be ruined by 20 lbs of pure heroin? How many people can 20 lbs of pure heroin kill?

Also know this trip was the THIRD heroin smuggling trip organized by Andrew Chan... the first trip he got caught on. These two are not at all like two 19 year olds attempting to smuggle in three marijuana joints for personal use later. I would say if their deaths deter just one young mule then I suppose their deaths serve a small purpose.
The problem with that logic is that the capture of the Bali Nine had no effect on whether or not any individual would continue to or start to use heroin.

Old 04-29-2015, 03:43 AM

750 posts, read 644,078 times
i have zero problem with them killing the ring leaders and people who knowingly were involved.

i have a problem with the filipino lady who was given a suitcase with drugs in it as a mule. many of those types have no clue they are transporting drugs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime