Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2015, 03:55 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times

Advertisements

I read this book about twenty years ago and it really freaked me out. At the time, my kids were little and I just couldn't imagine how a mother gets so messed up that she does such things to her kids.

I don't know what happened to my original book but I reordered it the other day and just got it in today so I'm looking forward to rereading it after I'm done with my current book.

I can't even listen to that song Hungry Like the Wolf by Duran Duran after reading that book - I turn it off every time it comes on now. The horror of her crimes and just her basic mindset really stuck with me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2015, 11:32 AM

1,519 posts, read 1,771,960 times
A question I have is was Diane Downs born the way she was or was that developed through time. Maybe no one knows and maybe its a combination of the two or more than two factors.

Old 08-26-2015, 11:35 AM

here is a youtube address that shows her talking and their are other youtube videos on her

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdtTDUJyhwY

Old 08-26-2015, 05:30 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,115,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydive Outlaw View Post
Sociopath with severe narcissistic characteristics, a touch of histrionic personality disorder and dissociative identity disorder.
Possibly a touch of bipolar as well.

I think I recall reading that book, but maybe not. I was familiar with the case because it really struck a nerve with me. I need to hit the library or crank up the kindle.

Old 08-27-2015, 08:59 AM

7,357 posts, read 11,758,516 times
Having just re-read the book, I would score her with a combo platter of Axis II, Cluster B disorders -- Borderline, Narcissistic and Antisocial.

Old 08-27-2015, 10:51 AM

649 posts, read 570,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I read this book about twenty years ago and it really freaked me out. At the time, my kids were little and I just couldn't imagine how a mother gets so messed up that she does such things to her kids.

I don't know what happened to my original book but I reordered it the other day and just got it in today so I'm looking forward to rereading it after I'm done with my current book.

I can't even listen to that song Hungry Like the Wolf by Duran Duran after reading that book - I turn it off every time it comes on now. The horror of her crimes and just her basic mindset really stuck with me.
I read this book maybe fifteen years ago and still to this day I cannot listen to that song without thinking of those children. I can't imagine how terrified they must have been.

Just several months ago I caught an old episode of Dateline (or one of those crime shows) & saw the interview with her youngest child, the one that she was pregnant with during her trial and all these years later Diane is still sticking to her story. Diane Downs is pure evil through and through.

Old 08-27-2015, 11:29 AM

It is interesting that unlike most people being accused of a crime she doesn't keep her thoughts to herself but talks and talks and talks. But she is really smart in that she doesn't reveal anything that will incriminate her. She would have made a good lawyer.

Yes, she is evil. But what I question is whether or not she was born evil or became that way somehow.

Old 08-27-2015, 02:24 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,240,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
Having just re-read the book, I would score her with a combo platter of Axis II, Cluster B disorders -- Borderline, Narcissistic and Antisocial.
ok DD is NOT borderline she is a PSYCHOPATH.

Borderlines have extremely dysfunctional lives and SELF HARM - they repeatedly attempt suicide and frequently (always) slash themselves to ribbons

DD does not show ANY signs of self hatred, which BPD is...actually, the exact opposite.

I suggest she was BORN THIS WAY. Possibly had a good/ok/regular upbringing but has spent her life using others as mere pawns in her own personal performance of Diane the Fabulous.

Old 08-27-2015, 02:26 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,240,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
Possibly a touch of bipolar as well.

I think I recall reading that book, but maybe not. I was familiar with the case because it really struck a nerve with me. I need to hit the library or crank up the kindle.

ok you don't GET a "touch" of bipolar.

You either are or you aren't.

I have NEVER seen or read any indication that DD plummets into the bipolar depressions so - no.

Old 08-27-2015, 02:55 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,651,685 times
No matter what mental health dxs she had,it didn't make her a killer, It wouldn't to anyone else either. I think mental health dxs are one thing, but being a murderer/murderess is another thing. Even paranoid schizophrenics don't kill anymore than anyone else. Or, other types of psychotics. They co exist together, but that's it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime