Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2017, 11:22 AM

5,267 posts, read 4,177,342 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
I visited also.......couldn't believe how small the prison yard really was compared to what it looked like in movies! It looked football stadium big in the movies but it was really the size of a tennis court!

I was there at night and it was raining so we couldn't see the prison yard. It was very atmospheric and spooky in the prison but I'm bummed I never saw the yard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2017, 12:25 PM

2,745 posts, read 3,012,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Hardy View Post
Add to that list Richard McCoy Jnr, the guy who actually did what most people think DB Cooper didn't quite manage to do.
LOL, he WAS DB Cooper. That was his practice run...

Old 12-22-2017, 03:50 PM

202 posts, read 153,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBear View Post
LOL, he WAS DB Cooper. That was his practice run...
Funny, we are discussing that very possibility in other thread right now:

Infamous D.B. Cooper case now closed for good

Feel free to join in

Old 12-22-2017, 06:05 PM

927 posts, read 968,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Hardy View Post
True. The more famous escape seems to get all the limelight. But there are a few references around to Scott's escape:

Alcatraz Prison Escapes - Page 2

Escapes from Alcatraz Gallery: Escape No. 14
Thanks for the links, more escape attempts than I had ever heard of or imagined.I think the authorities don't want the public to notice their tarnished record. The story of John Paul Scott was the one I heard from the tour guide on my trip in the 6th grade. He was found under the south tower of the GGB suffering from hypothermia.

Old 01-24-2018, 08:45 AM

17,563 posts, read 15,226,764 times
And here this comes back up in the news again.

3 Alcatraz inmates survived 1962 escape, swam to land, letter suggests | Fox News

Again, possible, but unlikely in my mind.. I just can't see these three staying out of trouble after escaping.

Old 01-24-2018, 10:53 AM

5,661 posts, read 3,520,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post

3 Alcatraz inmates survived 1962 escape, swam to land, letter suggests | Fox News

Again, possible, but unlikely in my mind.. I just can't see these three staying out of trouble after escaping.
I read that in the news too.

It is an interesting chain of events and intriguing all these years if these 3 made it or not.

Old 01-24-2018, 05:31 PM

Quote:

The FBI doesn't want to know if they were successful, that is what I take a away from the video after watching it, otherwise they would do some TV announcement and give him a pardon like the letter requested and get the truth. I think they just may have made it!

Old 01-25-2018, 02:34 AM

Here's a quote from an FBI employee/Triathlete on the escape.

Harp spent 21 years with the FBI, but did not work directly on this case.

"As a law enforcement person I'd like to think that their escape attempt was not fruitful for them. Personally, as someone who swims in the bay, and we have a triathlon that goes on every year, and there's not a single person that doesn't make that swim," he added.

Old 01-25-2018, 10:00 AM

1,047 posts, read 1,012,991 times
Quote:

That doesn't seem unlikely to me. The two brothers, at least, were small time non-violent criminals who had grown up as migrant workers. They might very well have decided that going back to working for a living was better than Alcatraz.

Old 01-25-2018, 02:17 PM

17,563 posts, read 15,226,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deb100 View Post
That doesn't seem unlikely to me. The two brothers, at least, were small time non-violent criminals who had grown up as migrant workers. They might very well have decided that going back to working for a living was better than Alcatraz.
If we're calling bank robbery non-violent.. I'll agree with you. I just won't agree with calling bank robbery, with or without a weapon, non-violent. Some explanation here.. They always claimed they didn't use guns, they brought toy guns to rob a bank.. The bank manager said he didn't know for sure, but he assumed they were real. I tend to agree with the bank manager.

The Anglins were not saints at all, but.. OK, I will give you that they didn't have enough crimes under their belts to be considered hardened criminals. Just.. Drugs, Bank robberies and escape attempts.

Morris, however.. Without question was a career criminal. It's all he knew. And making the argument that he could have stayed under the radar is highly suspect.

Just out of curiosity.. I'll see what I can look up on this.. What happened to Alfred Anglin?

Ah, he died in prison in '64.. Rumors that he was beaten for not giving up his brothers.. Buried in FL..

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/...red-ray-anglin
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime