Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2015, 08:54 AM

1,535 posts, read 1,391,424 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssww View Post
O
"John and Clarence went to Michigan every May to pick cherries to help the family out financially and they learned to swim here in the icy waters.
The re creation I saw used former navy seals and current California ocean life guards for the convicts. They concluded that the escape was possible for elite swim atheletes. Anybody else was going to catch a current to Japan (and probably turn into a sushi snack for a shark long before Tokyo).

I dont think their swimming experience in Michigan would have given these two men anywhere near the required swimming ability. I have always cheered for the under dog as well and hope they made it.

Then realism sets in and the following scenario becomes far more likely:

- Their boat starts to fall apart quickly
- The men find themselves swimming far earlier than expected
- They have not swam recreationally in years, and have never swam professionally or competively. Furhtermore, they have been living on a 1960s prison diet for years.
- The exhausted men develop cramps and drown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2015, 11:03 AM

7,636 posts, read 8,707,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryptic View Post
They concluded that the escape was possible for elite swim atheletes. Anybody else was going to catch a current to Japan (and probably turn into a sushi snack for a shark long before Tokyo).
I wouldn't place too much weight on what "they" make people believe. The authority has always tried to deny the possibility that they escaped successfully, for reason of embarrassment to themselves at least, yet they have nontheless been trying to verify any rumors about the sighting of the brothers. The tendency to refuse to believe, to paraphrase a poster above.

I would like to hear from the brothers how they could have defied all odds and made it out. Unfortunately this may never happen, unless (I hope) they kept documents and secretly wrote a book or diary to be released after their death.

Old 10-16-2015, 11:30 AM

17,579 posts, read 15,254,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
'was a success'?

And the tendency for people to believe what they want to believe - in the total absence of any supporting evidence (sorry, those fuzzy photos of two men hiding behind sunglasses could be almost any two white men - holding it up as definitive proof is laughable) and in complete contradiction to the probabilities - is yet again confirmed.
The escape was a total success.

They broke out of their cells, made it off the island. They escaped Alcatraz.

The getaway is the questionable part.

Old 10-16-2015, 12:38 PM

863 posts, read 866,782 times
They didn't swim or paddle...they were dragged behind a ferryboat using electrical cable for the tow. Or so the new claim goes. Interesting stuff. If it's true there should be some record of them in Brazil.

Old 10-16-2015, 12:49 PM

Those of us who believe they did make it are not just because we wish so. I base my belief on the accounts from people and the photograph whom the forensic experts consider to be likely genuine. These are not from the mouth of FBI. And if they didn't succeed in the escape, why do you think their friends/accomplices make up the stories and how was they able to give some details about how they made it out of the sea?

You think they didn't make it because of the unlikelihood to survive in the sea. I think we all agree it's very unlikely from the circumstance, but unlikely doesn't mean impossible, and the accounts provided by the accomplices/friends suggest they likely survived and continued to live outside the U.S. (could have even entered the U.S. for their mother's funeral disguised as women, according to reports, thought I'm not sure how they managed to pass the airport security, but that's pre-9/11...).

They probably have kept some souvenirs from the prison and about the escape.

Old 10-16-2015, 03:25 PM

I'm not going to say it's impossible.. But, let's be honest.. The FBI doesn't give up. If they thought they were in Brazil, they'd have been down there after them.

I put this in the DB Cooper realm.. I'd be very surprised if they survived.. But it would be pretty cool if they did. And if they did.. Someone needs to take notes on how they managed to do it.

Old 10-16-2015, 03:40 PM

Let's also keep in mind that they would make every effort not to disclose anything about their existence in Brazil, so we'll probably have to wait for decades to have any sure evidence of their escape success and later lives.

Here's a new article today on the subject:

Fred Brizzi's widow says he never met Alcatraz escapees John and Clarence Anglin in Brazil | Daily Mail Online

Old 10-17-2015, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Let's also keep in mind that they would make every effort not to disclose anything about their existence in Brazil, so we'll probably have to wait for decades to have any sure evidence of their escape success and later lives.

Here's a new article today on the subject:

Fred Brizzi's widow says he never met Alcatraz escapees John and Clarence Anglin in Brazil | Daily Mail Online
Well, many Nazi's didn't disclose their existence in Argentina, either, but.. Ask most of them how that turned out.

The photo is the ONLY tangible piece of evidence that suggests they made it. So, of course it's the best evidence. But, even outside the fact that it's the only piece of evidence.. It's still good. Any other evidence is the lack of evidence (bodies).

Now, had they had children in Brazil.. At the time, they would have been safe from extradition. So.. you assume they would have married, had kids, as they were fairly young guys.. Had they done that.. They could have become celebrities and faced no penalties. So.. Actually, i'd say something working AGAINST them is the fact that they didn't announce their presence.

Quote:
Speaking exclusively with Daily Mail Online, the nephew of the Anglin brothers even claimed they each married while in Brazil and had children.
Once they had children with a Brazilian, they were home free. Brazil would not extradite them. They could have called up a publisher, written a book and lived like kings. An instance where the lack of evidence works against the idea of them surviving.

Old 10-18-2015, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Well, many Nazi's didn't disclose their existence in Argentina, either, but.. Ask most of them how that turned out.

The photo is the ONLY tangible piece of evidence that suggests they made it. So, of course it's the best evidence. But, even outside the fact that it's the only piece of evidence.. It's still good. Any other evidence is the lack of evidence (bodies).

Now, had they had children in Brazil.. At the time, they would have been safe from extradition. So.. you assume they would have married, had kids, as they were fairly young guys.. Had they done that.. They could have become celebrities and faced no penalties. So.. Actually, i'd say something working AGAINST them is the fact that they didn't announce their presence.

Once they had children with a Brazilian, they were home free. Brazil would not extradite them. They could have called up a publisher, written a book and lived like kings. An instance where the lack of evidence works against the idea of them surviving.
Well, I suppose they would prefer the freedom to travel around the world without being caught and sent to the U.S. to writing a book (think Roman Polanski)? How could they live "like kings"?

And why would you think different people maing claims about their escape success (I don't have time to link all of them but you can search and find if you are truly interested to find out moree)? Why would they make up the stories that don't seem to have holes, one on his deadbed, another near death?

Old 10-18-2015, 12:59 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,825,823 times
Quote:
See news reports and picture of the brothers Clarence and John Anglin in Brazil.

So, if these prisoners were successful in their escape, you think that's a good thing?

I see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime