Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2015, 01:48 PM

649 posts, read 569,762 times

Advertisements

I've seen the Dalia Dippolito story on several different true crime shows. I love the look on her face when her husband walks into the room at the police station.

Saying any case is my favorite sounds kind of creepy but there are a lot of cases that intrigue me. For some reason I find a lot of cases involving women killers interesting. Diane Downs, Jodi Arias, Mary Beth Tinning, and Stacey Castor are a few that come to mind.

I've also always been fascinated by the serial killer, Tommy Lynn Sells. He's pure evil and his interviews scare the hell out of me. I also find the West Memphis Three case interesting and want to know what really happened.

Another case that I think about a lot is the disappearance of baby Sabrina down here in Florida. She's been missing for like twenty years and the police don't know if she's dead or alive. For awhile her parents were suspects in her disappearance and the eventually sued the state for obtaining an illegal wire tap in their home (something like that anyway.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2015, 02:06 PM

7,982 posts, read 4,283,217 times
The Jodi Arias case is definitely one of my obsessions. (Favorite does feel weird.) I just can't imagine what her victim, Travis Alexander, went through. It's unimaginable, really.

I'm also obsessed with those honor killing stories. (i.e., Sarah and Amina Said)

Also, I'm obsessed with the Sharon Tate murders.

Honestly, there are tons more, as I'm really interested in true crime stories. Those are the ones that popped into my mind right away.

Old 10-30-2015, 04:53 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,237,862 times
I am a True Crime watcher and there's two I simply cant move past.

Jonbenet Ramsey and Madeleine McCann.

Particularly the latter.

I believe the parents will be arrested quite soon, by which I mean, within the next year.

You read it here first.

As far as Sheerly Unbelievable Crimes? Christian Longo and Chris Coleman are right up there. Scott and Drew and Michael Peterson. (never marry a Peterson) The guys who Had It All then purposefully went about destroying it all, intentionally, in the cruelest possible ways.

Poisoners. Folk of both sexes who coldly and methodically poison their loved ones and watch them die in agony.

I actually know a woman, a compulsive liar, who I believe possibly murdered her first husband who died at an unnaturally young age. It was about the only verifiable thing about her, that she was widowed early. The rest of it was lies, she'd even changed her name.

Of course this led into a huge payout and a nice lifestyle afterward.

But she was so insane, so bizarre, so unpredictable, that I actually believe she was a psychopath and most definitely capable of offing someone if it suited her.

Psychopathy is actually pretty common - about 2% of the population. Most don't go on to murder but those who decide it benefits them, don't turn a hair in doing it.

Old 10-30-2015, 07:20 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,363,735 times
There are way more people getting away with murder than I even want to think about. Maybe fewer nowadays than decades ago... at least I hope so. Child abuse cases are especially disturbing. Munchausen by Proxy cases, although they seem to be rare, are being recognized more nowadays. The Lacey Spears case is a very sad one that sticks in my mind.

Old 10-30-2015, 08:15 PM

649 posts, read 569,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindersslipper View Post
I am a True Crime watcher and there's two I simply cant move past.

Jonbenet Ramsey and Madeleine McCann.

Particularly the latter.

I believe the parents will be arrested quite soon, by which I mean, within the next year.

You read it here first.

As far as Sheerly Unbelievable Crimes? Christian Longo and Chris Coleman are right up there. Scott and Drew and Michael Peterson. (never marry a Peterson) The guys who Had It All then purposefully went about destroying it all, intentionally, in the cruelest possible ways.

Poisoners. Folk of both sexes who coldly and methodically poison their loved ones and watch them die in agony.

I actually know a woman, a compulsive liar, who I believe possibly murdered her first husband who died at an unnaturally young age. It was about the only verifiable thing about her, that she was widowed early. The rest of it was lies, she'd even changed her name.

Of course this led into a huge payout and a nice lifestyle afterward.

But she was so insane, so bizarre, so unpredictable, that I actually believe she was a psychopath and most definitely capable of offing someone if it suited her.

Psychopathy is actually pretty common - about 2% of the population. Most don't go on to murder but those who decide it benefits them, don't turn a hair in doing it.
Why do you think that the McCanns will be arrested soon? I haven't heard anything about this case in the news for quite some time. Out of curiosity, do you think that the parents are guilty? I haven't followed the case closely but from what I do know I don't believe the parents had anything to do with her disappearance. It just doesn't make any sense that two seemingly good parents would kill their daughter for no apparent reason. I do think it was irresponsible for them to leave the children unattended while they were having dinner but I just don't get the sense that they would purposely harm their child or dispose of her body if she died accidentally.

Old 11-06-2015, 01:28 PM

1,256 posts, read 2,491,643 times
The case that continually fascinates me is the Jeffrey MacDonald case. Three reasons:

1. Unrelenting persistence of the victims' family: This was a handsome, charismatic, persuasive man, and the army basically let him walk for the murders of his pregnant wife and two daughters. Had it not been for the dogged persistence of Freddy Kassab, Colette's stepfather, I don't believe MacDonald would ever have stood trial for the murders nearly 10 years after they were committed.

2. The careful diligence of the prosecution. On the surface, MacDonald looked very sympathetic: he was a victim too! There were intruders! He was attacked! His family was killed and he nearly died as well. The prosecution dismantled MacDonald's story with solid physical evidence that, in those pre-forensic science/DNA testing days, could easily have been overlooked.

3. The perpetrator is still alive and is still proclaiming his "innocence." Every year or so, MacDonald files some kind of motion or new appeal. The latest was just a couple of weeks ago, where MacDonald sought to appeal a ruling denying a new round of DNA testing. http://www.thejeffreymacdonaldcase.c...-gov-brief.pdf

The JonBenet Ramsey case is a close second. It's infuriating that the parents so clearly were involved and will never be brought to justice.

Old 11-06-2015, 02:06 PM

24,095 posts, read 32,437,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa2011 View Post
No particular case, but crimes committed by women intrigue me... not the motives of these criminals, because basically they're scumbags, but actually just how they get away with it. No one suspects women of being capable of devious scheming, or extreme violence... until it's way too late.

I was flipping through some murderous women's case descriptions online... a surprising number of women have been convicted of murdering their husbands in recent years. An oddity that struck me is that many of them were married to men in "hero" careers, like police officers, or military guys. It seemed like a higher proportion than I'd expect to find overall among people in the U.S. Hmm!

I am also fascinated and revolted by cases that involve woman perpetrators and child victims.

Choosing a "favorite case" is a bit like choosing a "favorite disease".

Cases where abuse was present, people knew about it, and still did nothing, particularly disturb me.
Two such cases are the 1965 torture slaying of Sylvia Marie Likens at the hands of her care taker, Gertrude Baniszewski. Sylvia endured unspeakable abuse including burning, branding, beating, starvation, scalding baths and having salt rubbed in her wounds. The house was visited by a public health nurse, a minister and a next door neighbor.

What bothers me most, is that Gertrude's two living daughters are free, and Gertrude herself only served 20 years.

Another was the 2013 (approx) murder of Zahara Baker, a ten year old cancer survivor who had lost a leg to cancer and her hearing to chemotherapy. Zahara's stepmother was known to hate the little girl. She beat her, kept her from school, mocked her, made her go on forced marches with her prosthetic leg. There were pictures taken of Zahara with a black eye. She was ultimately reported missing by her viscous step mother and clueless father. The body has never been found.

Old 11-11-2015, 06:41 PM

280 posts, read 338,815 times
I live nowhere near this case, but the Bear Brooks unsolved mysteries certainly intrigues me...

Old 11-12-2015, 12:49 AM

3,796 posts, read 2,991,840 times
The McCann case in recent times.
But there are a couple of unsolved crimes in our country that still intrigue me, and could have done by the same perpetrator:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wanda_Beach_Murders

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beaumo..._disappearance

Old 11-15-2015, 03:06 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,124,630 times
D. B. Cooper-Nothing like it has been attempted since and the methodical planning going into it was unreal. And he did not harm a single person. And he got away to boot!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime