Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2016, 09:35 PM

5,573 posts, read 6,497,373 times

Advertisements

There are a lot of crimes we hear about, talk about, get upset about, but never hear about "the end of the story." It goes away because the media stops covering it, we hear a blurb about it then never anything more, the public forgets about it, it "blows over", gets set aside or rescheduled by the court system, takes years to get to court, and we then never hear about "the end of the story."

Worse yet, we hear about, and see on TV, the sentences that some major crime perpetrators receive. Think "Snapped" or other True Crime shows. Life without parole. The death penalty. 40 years, can apply for parole after 20 years. But we don't hear about the outcomes of appeals (because don't you know every "guilty" verdict is appealed), or that years later the case was overturned by the courts for some incomprehensible reason. We don't hear about this "end of the story."

We never hear about the perpetrator after they go to prison. How they live, what their lives are like. How they get "congugal (sp) visits and can father children (Tex from the Manson gang, for one), get married, party in their cells and "dress up" in costumes/drag and have a good old time (Richard Speck, the 1966 Chicago Nurses murder case), have color coordinated bedding/decor for their "rooms", aka cells, nope, the general public thinks life in prison is a "good" thing, because it is justice, it is punishment for the crime. "3 hots and a cot." We never hear about "the end of the story."

I don't usually follow up on "finished" crimes, there are unfortunately too many new ones to give attention to. However, I just saw a rerun of a crime I was familiar with. I don't remember if it gave an update at the end or if I looked it up to get the current status, but to my horror, the case was overturned after 4 YEARS, the female was released and is free, and someone actually posted on a popular video site a high-end wedding anniversary party video of she and her husband. This is the case of Cynthia George in Akron, Ohio. It was a very unusual but highly publicized murder case. You can look it up.

What cases have you followed that ended with a sentence of some kind and then never followed up on? You just may be surprised at "the REAL end of the story."

Last edited by Lodestar 77; 02-11-2016 at 09:47 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2016, 01:57 AM

16,077 posts, read 28,543,386 times
Offhand can think of one case of interest in appeals process, Jerry Sandusky, of course hes not going anywhere, but his pensions been reinstated. perhaps his enabling defensive other half will benefit. My interests contained to justice for victims who no longer have a voice. Really couldn't give a flip how they've adjusted to a cot and stainless steal toilet or prison amenities.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 03-13-2016 at 05:47 PM.. Reason: deleted quoted post

Old 03-05-2016, 08:45 PM

Your comment about Sandusky is what I was after. His pension was revoked, but now he has gotten it reinstated. Who knew? Is anyone upset by this? My point is that folks are so happy when a criminal gets his or her "just dues", and is ignorant, oops, I mean innocent, enough to think that that is the end of the story. Bad person locked up, justice served. Where is the outrage when the system reverses the penalties? When the judge reverses a jury sentence? When so many appeals get the sentence reversed, or, worse yet, thrown out?

Thanks for your reply.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 03-13-2016 at 05:48 PM.. Reason: off topic

Old 03-05-2016, 11:33 PM

927 posts, read 968,549 times
I think this is a good thread and will contribute to it at some time.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 03-13-2016 at 05:49 PM.. Reason: deleted quoted post

Old 03-06-2016, 10:08 PM

Thank you, ezrider62. I guess I expected it to make folks think, and then go look up what has happened to a case that made an impression on them. Although with all the reruns of true crime stories, it would be easy to watch one and want to do a search to read up on it, like I did with the one I mentioned.

I look forward to your input about a crime that you are now curious about.

Old 03-08-2016, 12:23 PM

3,032 posts, read 4,733,092 times
Although it is not finished and is still very much being worked, I kind of wonder how Natalie Keepers (one of the Virginia Tech murderers) is doing in jail, considering the arguments for her being released on bail were that she did not have a hypoallergenic pillow that she requires and that they were not keeping up with her gluten free diet. Her parents were also, "She's never been in trouble before!".... at 18, I would hope not!

Old 03-08-2016, 04:51 PM

927 posts, read 968,549 times
I heard Oscar Pistorius the olympian is serving a different sentence than he was first given. I am not sure what it is now reading so many conflicting reports, but many thought his first sentence was too light.

Old 03-09-2016, 06:50 AM

107 posts, read 100,735 times
The Book of Matt: Hidden Truths About the Murder of Matthew ShepardSep 16, 2014
by Stephen Jimenez

I just read this book and the author claims, after 13 years of research in Laramie, Fort Collins, and Denver, that the murder wasn't a hate crime, that McKinney and Shepard knew each other in the meth-using and dealing worlds of those cities, and may have even been sexual partners at one (or several) times because McKinney was bi-sexual. Henderson, on the other hand, seemed to have almost nothing to do with the murder, other than the fact that he didn't report it and left with McKinney as Shepard lay dying out there in the field for 18 hours. (I know - that's a lot but he's already served 18 years for his part in the crime.

He didn't know anything about the drug deals or the sex but still received 2 consecutive life sentences and doesn't look to be getting out any time soon.

I've been watching some (ok, many) old 48 hours and Dateline shows on YouTube as well as some other different kind of crime shows, and routinely Google the cases to see what became of the people in the story.

Old 03-09-2016, 07:46 AM

774 posts, read 744,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noccidoggo View Post
The Book of Matt: Hidden Truths About the Murder of Matthew ShepardSep 16, 2014
by Stephen Jimenez

I just read this book and the author claims, after 13 years of research in Laramie, Fort Collins, and Denver, that the murder wasn't a hate crime, that McKinney and Shepard knew each other in the meth-using and dealing worlds of those cities, and may have even been sexual partners at one (or several) times because McKinney was bi-sexual. Henderson, on the other hand, seemed to have almost nothing to do with the murder, other than the fact that he didn't report it and left with McKinney as Shepard lay dying out there in the field for 18 hours. (I know - that's a lot but he's already served 18 years for his part in the crime.

He didn't know anything about the drug deals or the sex but still received 2 consecutive life sentences and doesn't look to be getting out any time soon.

I've been watching some (ok, many) old 48 hours and Dateline shows on YouTube as well as some other different kind of crime shows, and routinely Google the cases to see what became of the people in the story.

Yes, the martyr that wasn't.

Old 03-09-2016, 07:50 AM

774 posts, read 744,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezrider62 View Post
I heard Oscar Pistorius the olympian is serving a different sentence than he was first given. I am not sure what it is now reading so many conflicting reports, but many thought his first sentence was too light.

He was convicted of manslaughter and sentenced to 1-5 years in prison. He served 1 year and was released. His manslaughter conviction was then overturned and he was convicted of murder. His appeal of the murder conviction was rejected. He will be sentenced for the murder conviction next month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime