Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2016, 05:37 PM

35 posts, read 32,621 times

Advertisements

The appeal for Byron Smith, the Little Falls MN was convicted of 1st degree murder for showing two unarmed teenagers who broke into his home was DENIED by the Minnesota State Supreme Court last week. This means his convictions for 1st degree murder will stand. And IIRC this will end the case for Minnesota. The reason for this is that under Minnesota state law ALL 1st degree Murder convictions are automatically appealed to the State Supreme Court bypassing the court of appeals. Therefore appeals of those cases are heard and ruled on more quickly than in other cases. Details from the Star Tribune newspaper out of Minneapolis.

Murder conviction affirmed for Byron Smith in Little Falls case - StarTribune.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2016, 12:17 PM

420 posts, read 704,105 times
Wow... so they broke in, he shot them and it is first degree murder? Interesting...

EDIT: I just read the article, I see what they are saying now. I think I vaguely remember hearing about this case.

Old 03-20-2016, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pansori View Post
Wow... so they broke in, he shot them and it is first degree murder? Interesting...

EDIT: I just read the article, I see what they are saying now. I think I vaguely remember hearing about this case.
VERY high profile case in Minnesota when the actual crime was committed and the trial was also high profile. The basic reason for the conviction was the tape he made of himself speaking.

Old 03-23-2016, 07:52 AM

774 posts, read 744,349 times
There's protecting your domain and then there's what he did. Now had took a shot at one of them when they broke into the house, then called the police...ok good job protecting your castle but he planned their execution basically. He set a trap for them, shot them several minutes apart as they walking down the steps to the basement where he was waiting, wrapped their bodies in tarps, lauded himself a hero for ridding the world of the vermin and didn't call the police.

Old 03-24-2016, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sspistol View Post
There's protecting your domain and then there's what he did. Now had took a shot at one of them when they broke into the house, then called the police...ok good job protecting your castle but he planned their execution basically. He set a trap for them, shot them several minutes apart as they walking down the steps to the basement where he was waiting, wrapped their bodies in tarps, lauded himself a hero for ridding the world of the vermin and didn't call the police.
There were also audio tapes he made of himself speaking and when you hear those they are VERY chilling. More than anything those audio tapes led to the convictions for 1st degree murder.

Old 03-26-2016, 06:48 PM

9,153 posts, read 9,484,502 times
Too bad. They were terrorizing him. Just the thought of a stranger in my house gives me the chills. The police didn't help him. I can see how he came to do what he did, even though I think it was wrong. He shoulda been smarter in how he took care of the problem.

Old 11-21-2018, 09:39 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,034,674 times
another upcoming Thanksgiving in prison for Byron, hope he spends many more rotting away in his cell.

Old 11-21-2018, 11:25 AM

1,186 posts, read 101,882 times
Yes, remember the "Clean" shot to put her out of her misery?,
Yeah no calling police or medical attention, let me just stop the suffering for her.
Despictable, they guy laid a trap, sat waiting in his perch and shot at unarmed teens to death
when he clearly was not in any danger (once you shoot a girl 3 times and she's pleading for her life)

Old 11-27-2018, 11:05 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,286,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLaRock1 View Post
Yes, remember the "Clean" shot to put her out of her misery?,
Yeah no calling police or medical attention, let me just stop the suffering for her.
Despictable, they guy laid a trap, sat waiting in his perch and shot at unarmed teens to death
when he clearly was not in any danger (once you shoot a girl 3 times and she's pleading for her life)
It was quite something.

During the trial, the prosecution showed a lot of things. One that stuck in my mind was that this guy literally took his car and parked it down the street, so any intruders would think he was not at home. Only than did he go back to his house and lay in wait with a loaded for the intruders to break in. He didn't want them to skip his house. He wanted them to break in so he could shoot them. It was as premeditated a murder as I have ever heard of.

Old 11-28-2018, 05:57 PM

19,798 posts, read 9,336,681 times
Was Byron wrong? IMO, yes.

Were the teenagers wrong? IMO, yes.

Did the teenagers deserve to die? IMO, no.

Did Byron get what he deserved? IMO, yes. (However, I am sorry that he will live out the rest of his miserable life at the expense of taxpayers.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime