Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2016, 07:40 AM

21,873 posts, read 12,916,978 times

Advertisements

(eyeroll)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2016, 07:44 AM

26,703 posts, read 26,756,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meibomius View Post
I am not entirely sold on the idea of the touch DNA being reliable to indicate anything
Touch DNA by itself may not mean anything. However, the touch DNA matched the original DNA from an unknown Caucasian male that was mixed w/ blood in her underwear. THE MATCH was what was significant.

BPD had the evidence to clear many people in early 1997 with the original DNA (no touch DNA available back then). They just didn't want to release it because it didn't fit in with their RDI belief. That's what made the DA's office so mad when they found out.

From a review of the CBS show:
“To clear somebody just on the premise of touch DNA, especially when you have a situation where the crime scene wasn’t secure at the beginning . . . really is a stretch.”

They didn’t clear anyone based on touch DNA alone; they cleared them based on it MATCHING the original DNA.

"According to Coombes, the investigators may have mishandled the testing for DNA."

How could the investigators mishandle the testing for DNA? They didn’t do the testing; Bode Labs did. How did the evidence from Bode Labs stand up in a court of law, then? No wonder this story sounds like media driven hype.

DNA Forensic Services | Bode Cellmark Forensics

Old 09-30-2016, 10:46 AM

3,521 posts, read 3,726,927 times
In "JonBenét: Anatomy of an Investigation" with Bill Kurtis, they actually go through the house, including JonBenét's room and the staircase where the ransom note was found. As they're going down the circular stairs, you hear creaking noises and the sound of their shoes hitting the wood flooring. Still possible for the intruder theory, particularly if everyone is asleep, but it adds one less element of stealth to the mix.

Old 09-30-2016, 10:55 AM

2,508 posts, read 2,173,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Free-R View Post
In "JonBenét: Anatomy of an Investigation" with Bill Kurtis, they actually go through the house, including JonBenét's room and the staircase where the ransom note was found. As they're going down the circular stairs, you hear creaking noises and the sound of their shoes hitting the wood flooring. Still possible for the intruder theory, particularly if everyone is asleep, but it adds one less element of stealth to the mix.
After my home was burglarized years ago, I know that I was a lot more aware of noises in my home & would at times get up @ night if I heard something to make sure no one else was in the house.

If you've never had this experience would you still be very aware of any noises in your home? Probably. Again, I find it hard to believe that a so-called "intruder" was in the house for hours completely undetected. I.e., I think at least one of the Ramsey's would have heard something & gone to investigate.

Old 09-30-2016, 10:56 AM

21,873 posts, read 12,916,978 times
They weren't home all day (until 9:30 at night). This thread seems to be going in circles!

Old 09-30-2016, 11:03 AM

9,153 posts, read 9,480,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
They weren't home all day (until 9:30 at night). This thread seems to be going in circles!
But the intruders were there for hours after the family got home.

The family said JB was in her bed, so the intruder had to go up to get her while the family was home. Then feed her pineapple. Then stick around for hours for the pineapple to get into her intestines before killing her.

Old 09-30-2016, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Lebowski Dude View Post
Again, I find it hard to believe that a so-called "intruder" was in the house for hours completely undetected.
They were there "for hours" only during the time the Ramseys were at the Whites. The actual strangulation and killing probably did not take very long, and it was in the basement, three stories below the master bedroom.

Quote:
I.e., I think at least one of the Ramsey's would have heard something & gone to investigate.
In a house as big as the one shown on the floor plan, below?
JonBenet Ramsey's former Boulder home floor plan

Last edited by CA4Now; 09-30-2016 at 11:45 AM..

Old 09-30-2016, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Free-R View Post
In "JonBenét: Anatomy of an Investigation" with Bill Kurtis, they actually go through the house, including JonBenét's room and the staircase where the ransom note was found. As they're going down the circular stairs...
One of these TV shows--I watched only the clip and can't remember which one--showed a woman playing PR finding the RN at the bottom of a heavy, wooden staircase that looked like the main staircase in the home. (It also showed her picking up the RN, which we were told that PR did not do...but I guess that's beside the point, right? Why be accurate? It's a TV show; they need to increase their ratings.) But you're right, the Kurtis one shows the RN being found on the circular staircase.

So which is it?

Also, I didn't realize that there are edited pictures of the basement window, changed by tabloids. Hard to tell which is a crime scene photo and which has been modified.

Old 09-30-2016, 11:34 AM

3,521 posts, read 3,726,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Also, I didn't realize that there are edited pictures of the basement window, changed by tabloids. Hard to tell which is a crime scene photo and which has been modified.
All the pictures on a basic google search aren't very telling. That Bill Kurtis video is the real deal; you get to see the inside with no gimmicks, and it's before any remodeling I think, so it gives a better sense of the layout.

Last edited by Free-R; 09-30-2016 at 11:47 AM..

Old 09-30-2016, 11:54 AM

26,655 posts, read 28,640,610 times
After some more thinking, I am getting more convinced that Burke did more than just bash her over the head. If that had been all, then the parents would have called 911. Kids do hit other kids and he would have just gotten mental health help.

So now I'm tending to think, along with many others on here, that he went a bit further than that. Maybe he did do some of the strangulation. Maybe he'd read about it and actually knew how to do it. If the Ramseys had discovered that sort of scene, they would have been totally aghast and never would have wanted anyone to know what he did.

John and Patsy would have just taken it a few steps further to look even more like a strangulation and Patsy would have busied herself writing the "note."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime