Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2017, 11:48 AM

7,098 posts, read 4,823,070 times

Advertisements

Can anyone honestly say they heard a conversation on that tape at the end? In the enhanced version played on that CBS special (which I would assume is the clearest one), I couldn't hear anything. Certainly if they didn't show the subtitles I personally wouldn't be able to make out anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2017, 12:06 PM

26,731 posts, read 26,812,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PennyLane2 View Post
They did release their report to Boulder Police Dept, the source that gave it to them to enhance. They were not obligated/authorized to release it to anyone else.
It's my understanding that they did not release the report, only the tape itself was released to the BPD.

I'm with Lin Wood on this one. ("If Aerospace Corporation stands behinds its work, it should immediately release details.")

A description of the approach that was used so that someone else other than Aerospace Corporation can duplicate the results would be necessary. Otherwise, their findings are of no significance.

Old 01-16-2017, 05:59 PM

2,374 posts, read 2,762,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by puginabug View Post
Can anyone honestly say they heard a conversation on that tape at the end? In the enhanced version played on that CBS special (which I would assume is the clearest one), I couldn't hear anything. Certainly if they didn't show the subtitles I personally wouldn't be able to make out anything.
Well, granted it was coming on TV/soundbar speakers, but I sure couldn't make out what the CBS investigative team claimed was being said. And yes, certainly without the subtitles.

I enjoyed that documentary but early on it struck me there was a bias against the Ramsey by the investigators, like they were weighing everything on the side of guilt. Thus I wasn't surprised by their conclusions.

If only one organization with the expertise can claim to hearing conversation after sophisticated testing, then I too would be skeptical there was anything of substance there

Old 01-17-2017, 09:01 AM

1,192 posts, read 2,483,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG Dallas View Post
Well, granted it was coming on TV/soundbar speakers, but I sure couldn't make out what the CBS investigative team claimed was being said. And yes, certainly without the subtitles.

I enjoyed that documentary but early on it struck me there was a bias against the Ramsey by the investigators, like they were weighing everything on the side of guilt. Thus I wasn't surprised by their conclusions.

If only one organization with the expertise can claim to hearing conversation after sophisticated testing, then I too would be skeptical there was anything of substance there
From what I've read, at least two more of the organizations were able to hear voices at the end of the tape. None are as concise as the enhancement by Aerospace, but they do agree that there is more at the end of the tape.

Old 01-17-2017, 11:18 AM

16,077 posts, read 28,557,959 times
Another circular discussion...everyone else caught on and stopped wasting their breath.

Reasonable explanation along with link were posted during the discussion on the same.

Robert Pentz, director of the National Law Enforcement
Corrections Technology Center for the Western Region, operated by Aerospace Corp. for the National Institute of Justice, said the company had no comment on the tape.
"Even though we acknowledge the fact we do work for law enforcement agencies ... it is a matter of policy we don't comment on cases that are open without written permission of the affected law enforcement agency," Pentz said.

Last edited by virgode; 01-17-2017 at 11:22 AM.. Reason: http://web.dailycamera.com/extra/ramsey/1998/21ramsey.html

Old 01-17-2017, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post

I'm with Lin Wood on this one. ("If Aerospace Corporation stands behinds its work, it should immediately release details.")
Does Lin Wood release details of confidentiality with his clients?

Aerospace is cutting edge for a reason.

Old 01-17-2017, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
Does Lin Wood release details of confidentiality with his clients?
It's not really the same comparison. This is similar to releasing the credentials of the handwriting experts who examined the RN (as well as which copy of the RN they actually examined), or being able to identify the pediatric panel of "experts" that the BPD hired to come up with their theory on prior abuse.

Old 01-17-2017, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PennyLane2 View Post
From what I've read, at least two more of the organizations were able to hear voices at the end of the tape. None are as concise as the enhancement by Aerospace, but they do agree that there is more at the end of the tape.
I wonder who they were. More detail about two of the organizations listed on post #2875:

Transcript from the Today show, 2003:

Katie Couric: Just what happened after Patsy hung up the phone has been debated in law enforcement circles. One former Boulder police detective, Steve Thomas, believes after Patsy hung up, the phone didn't really disconnect. In his book JonBenet: Inside the Ramsey Murder investigation, Thomas claimed that by enhancing the tape, you could hear John and Patsy talking to their son Burke. He claims that's important because the Ramseys reportedly told police their son was asleep at the time of the call. If true, Thomas claims it suggests the family was altering their story right from the start. But both the FBI and Secret Service, who examined the tapes, said such conversation could not be heard.

NBC News had the tape tested by experts at two different labs that examine 911 tapes to see if there was any conversation after the hang-up. First, Frank Piazza of Legal Audio in New York City.

Frank Piazza (Legal Audio): I would say my findings are much more in parallel with the FBI's findings. There's not enough there to give any sort of conclusive intelligible argument.

Katie Couric: And David Mariasy from Team Audio in Toledo, Ohio.

David Mariasy (Team Audio): When it was suggested that we look for these other lines of dialogue, and there was two or three other people after the hang-up, that didn't happen.

Last edited by CA4Now; 01-17-2017 at 06:50 PM..

Old 01-18-2017, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
It's not really the same comparison. This is similar to releasing the credentials of the handwriting experts who examined the RN (as well as which copy of the RN they actually examined), or being able to identify the pediatric panel of "experts" that the BPD hired to come up with their theory on prior abuse.
What is it you're looking for?

Google Aerospace Corporation and you'll have an answer to the question.

Aerospace has audio capabilities out of NBCs league; any comparisons futile.

Old 01-18-2017, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
What is it you're looking for?
A record describing the method by which the supposed voices could be duplicated.

Quote:
Aerospace has audio capabilities out of NBCs league; any comparisons futile.
And those capabilities somehow surpass those of the FBI and the Secret Service? (As well as multiple other organizations?) No chance. Aerospace Corporation didn't release their records for a reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime