Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2023, 12:50 PM

26,717 posts, read 26,776,017 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
It would not have been difficult for them to report these crimes to the police.
I actually disagree with this, and have stated so on this thread. I also believe that they were emotionally and sexually abused--in different ways--by both their parents.

However, these were premediated murders. The Menendez brothers are exactly where they should be, serving life sentences without the possibility of parole.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2023, 01:43 PM

5,703 posts, read 4,276,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
I actually disagree with this, and have stated so on this thread. I also believe that they were emotionally and sexually abused--in different ways--by both their parents.

However, these were premediated murders. The Menendez brothers are exactly where they should be, serving life sentences without the possibility of parole.

Exactly. They gave up their chances at leniency when they executed 2 people.

Old 05-10-2023, 07:10 AM

3,934 posts, read 2,184,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pip-Squeak View Post
The Menendez brothers were age 18 & 21 when they killed their parents. Another guy has came forward saying the Dad raped him while he was signed with RCA Records working with the Dad. This guy was in the boy band called Manudo. Now we have 3 people accusing the Dad of being a pedophile, so if it looks like a duck...
Or perhaps the new accuser is trying to get money out of the estate?

Old 05-10-2023, 09:32 AM

746 posts, read 493,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L00k4ward View Post
Or perhaps the new accuser is trying to get money out of the estate?
The new accuser is a famous member of a band that did quite well. That is doubtful imho

Old 05-10-2023, 04:44 PM

17,563 posts, read 15,226,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
Exactly. They gave up their chances at leniency when they executed 2 people.

Umm.. Well.. If they hadn't executed two people, they wouldn't need leniency.

But.. I.. kinda get where you're coming from. Suppose they killed the parents DURING attempted abuse.. Of course, that wouldn't have been 1st degree murder charges, most likely..

Old 05-16-2023, 03:18 PM

191 posts, read 163,598 times
If the allegations of abuse were true, then it reminds me of the Gypsy Rose and Jennifer Pan cases.

Old 07-17-2023, 07:28 AM

“The shootings were not murder but manslaughter, committed out of an honest though unreasonable belief in the need for self-defense after a lifetime of sexual and physical abuse,” the motion reads.

On June 15, a judge asked the Los Angeles County district attorney’s office to file an informal response to the request before a judge rules on the habeas petition. In particular, the judge asked prosecutors to address whether the recently discovered evidence could have been found during the trial and if prosecutors believe the letter would have been admissible.

A spokesperson for the D.A.’s office said it is reviewing the Menendez brothers’ case files in order to answer the judge’s questions.

The petition could be the last shot the brothers have at revisiting their convictions and life sentences. The new revelations also could be a test of how society’s views of sexual abuse and its impacts have changed over the past three decades.

https://www.latimes.com/california/s...aring-evidence

Old 07-19-2023, 06:08 PM

7,126 posts, read 8,647,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
“The shootings were not murder but manslaughter, committed out of an honest though unreasonable belief in the need for self-defense after a lifetime of sexual and physical abuse,” the motion reads.

On June 15, a judge asked the Los Angeles County district attorney’s office to file an informal response to the request before a judge rules on the habeas petition. In particular, the judge asked prosecutors to address whether the recently discovered evidence could have been found during the trial and if prosecutors believe the letter would have been admissible.

A spokesperson for the D.A.’s office said it is reviewing the Menendez brothers’ case files in order to answer the judge’s questions.

The petition could be the last shot the brothers have at revisiting their convictions and life sentences. The new revelations also could be a test of how society’s views of sexual abuse and its impacts have changed over the past three decades.

https://www.latimes.com/california/s...aring-evidence
Interesting if the letter could have been admitted at the time had the prosecutor or defense known about it then I think the brothers get another shot ... I think the result will be the same...but they have nothing to loose!!! Just a side note my father worked with Jose in the rent a car business...said he was a great guy....which means nothing because no one knows what goes on behind closed doors...but just a little side note!

Old 07-20-2023, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishiis49 View Post
Just a side note my father worked with Jose in the rent a car business...said he was a great guy....which means nothing because no one knows what goes on behind closed doors...but just a little side note!
Interesting!

Old 07-23-2023, 03:51 PM

“They would have been out a long time ago if they’d had a fair trial,” said Kitty Menendez’s older sister, Joan VanderMolen, 91, who lives in Ventura. In “Menendez + Menudo,” she and her daughter Diane discuss why Erik seemed bereft as a child when there were no lemons in the house. “It was to get the taste of semen out of his mouth,” Joan says, in one of the docuseries’ more shocking moments.

“I loved my sister dearly,” VanderMolen told me last week, “and it’s difficult to talk about her, but somehow she managed to let this husband of hers rule the roost and beat the kids. She had to know.”

She speaks to her nephews regularly by phone at Richard J. Donovan Correctional Facility near San Diego, where they were allowed to be together after 22 years apart. “They had a terrible childhood,” she said. “Money had nothing to do with it.”

She obviously doesn't believe that her sister emotionally abused these kids as well, which must explain her viewpoint.

https://www.latimes.com/opinion/stor...o-sexual-abuse
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime