Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2018, 09:33 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,568,931 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
Sure is! Thanks for links, NG. I'm on the east coast, new to me as well. This guy's made contact in so many ways. The poems and letter about his 6th grade teacher .

How did this psychopath rape 50 women and slide under LEs radar for 40 yrs?
HLN has a series on it. You can find it in re-runs now. Very in depth (5 parts) w/ victim's stories, too. Amazing so many of us had never heard of it till now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2018, 10:43 AM

63 posts, read 69,105 times
Yes! This case is the most fascinating by far. Zodiac has nothing on this guy, and gets all that hype. I don't understand it either. I can't think of any other case like this. Look up Visalia Ransacker. It's believed by many that he started with committing about 100 burglaries in a town in Central CA before he started raping in Sacramento. When you think about all the close calls he had, it is clear that this guy has incredible luck. He was confronted by numerous witnesses (including a cop) but he killed most of them. Stakeouts were set up but he hit elsewhere on those nights. Even though he targeted houses with multiple residents inside, nobody was able to tackle him, and it appears nobody was lying in wait despite all the local press he got at the time. At one point, after sustaining a shoulder injury while jumping a fence, he checked into a local hospital for emergency treatment, but abruptly left when he sensed hospital personnel were onto him. I also think he killed more people than are officially attributed to him - you can read about unsolved homicides with his MO in the areas he struck. And those phone calls! One of his victims says she was even receiving calls last year (not known if he was the caller or some crank). Big question: where did he go after 1986? It's true that technology (DNA profiling, security cameras) was starting to catch up with him, but still. I don't think these people can stop. I wonder if he relocated, possibly even to another country.

Old 04-16-2018, 02:15 PM

29,422 posts, read 22,323,817 times
I bought a book about this killer last year but never read it.

Seems to be in the media a lot these days.

Old 04-16-2018, 05:48 PM

928 posts, read 959,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoffeeMeQuick View Post
Yes! This case is the most fascinating by far. Zodiac has nothing on this guy, and gets all that hype. I don't understand it either. I can't think of any other case like this. Look up Visalia Ransacker. It's believed by many that he started with committing about 100 burglaries in a town in Central CA before he started raping in Sacramento. When you think about all the close calls he had, it is clear that this guy has incredible luck. He was confronted by numerous witnesses (including a cop) but he killed most of them. Stakeouts were set up but he hit elsewhere on those nights. Even though he targeted houses with multiple residents inside, nobody was able to tackle him, and it appears nobody was lying in wait despite all the local press he got at the time. At one point, after sustaining a shoulder injury while jumping a fence, he checked into a local hospital for emergency treatment, but abruptly left when he sensed hospital personnel were onto him. I also think he killed more people than are officially attributed to him - you can read about unsolved homicides with his MO in the areas he struck. And those phone calls! One of his victims says she was even receiving calls last year (not known if he was the caller or some crank). Big question: where did he go after 1986? It's true that technology (DNA profiling, security cameras) was starting to catch up with him, but still. I don't think these people can stop. I wonder if he relocated, possibly even to another country.
Agreed, this guy slipped under the radar. I read a bit about him years ago, but there wasn't much stuff to read available.

Old 04-16-2018, 06:52 PM

7,489 posts, read 4,891,000 times
The man behind this reminded me of Russell Williams, with the difference being that Williams started in his fifties and this man started in his twenties. Ransacking homes for fun really seems like a mature teen or early adult thing to do.

Regarding the time period where he did not commit crimes, I am reminded of BTK who did not commit any crimes for several years. He was not in prison, he was married with two children. It's equally possible that the person responsible for these crimes was in a relationship during the times when he did not commit crimes and I think police should put that out there. Someone knows a man who is from the city where the ransacking events took place, who then moved to the next city, and who was in a relationship during those years where no crimes occurred. Those three facts might be enough to trigger someone's memory to report him as a possible suspect.

Old 04-17-2018, 07:58 AM

Interesting theory about the relationship. Whether this circumstance relates to him or not, somebody from that place and time period must have been aware of a person who was absent from the home a lot at nighttime, fit the physical and age profile, and was familiar with these areas (Visalia and Sacramento and possibly Goleta (further south where several attacks occurred, including one that occurred even before the Visalia ransackings started). He was young when he started so there must have been some kind of family unit in place, even if it was a fractured one. I am thinking there is a relative who suspects and possibly even knows but is not talking to protect their own interests and reputation (and those of their children). On some level that is understandable, because to be exposed as a relative of this horrible criminal would surely result in shame and social isolation, possibly even danger.

Old 04-17-2018, 09:22 AM

7,489 posts, read 4,891,000 times
Quote:
Interesting theory about the relationship. Whether this circumstance relates to him or not, somebody from that place and time period must have been aware of a person who was absent from the home a lot at nighttime, fit the physical and age profile, and was familiar with these areas (Visalia and Sacramento and possibly Goleta (further south where several attacks occurred, including one that occurred even before the Visalia ransackings started). He was young when he started so there must have been some kind of family unit in place, even if it was a fractured one. I am thinking there is a relative who suspects and possibly even knows but is not talking to protect their own interests and reputation (and those of their children). On some level that is understandable, because to be exposed as a relative of this horrible criminal would surely result in shame and social isolation, possibly even danger.
Someone who has seen the drawing of him has to know this man, but for some reason hasn't put it together. Russell Williams invaded homes and stole underwear in two locations: near his home and near his cabin. As a military man he was above suspicion, and people felt safe with him around. Same with BTK. He was a religious man and by-law officer. Both of these methodical, sneaky, violent sexual offender murderers were perceived as upholders of the law.

Old 04-18-2018, 11:17 AM

In the Footsteps of a Killer - Los Angeles Magazine

http://www.thequesterfiles.com/html/..._aka_the_.html This one is about his victims; a lot of details and research, but very graphic, too.

Last edited by Nanny Goat; 04-18-2018 at 11:25 AM..

Old 04-20-2018, 07:37 AM

Thanks Nanny for the links. The first article is excellent and the second file gives SO much info. I can't imagine how one person could have had the time to investigate all that. That same person (he runs the Quester Files website) also gives a ton of information about Zodiac. So interesting.

Old 04-20-2018, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Thanks Nanny for the links. The first article is excellent and the second file gives SO much info. I can't imagine how one person could have had the time to investigate all that. That same person (he runs the Quester Files website) also gives a ton of information about Zodiac. So interesting.
I can't either. There are people who do this type of research. On the HLN docuseries, it said the Vasalia (? spelling) ransacker was linked to this case (72-74), but more recent sentiment points to the Cordova Cat Burglar.

East Area Rapist Linked To Rash Of Rancho Cordova Cat Burglaries « CBS Sacramento
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime