Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2017, 10:37 PM

164 posts, read 175,108 times

Advertisements

I watch crime shows on tv and when watching cops or Live PD, the police will pull someone over or respond to a call and ask them if it's ok. Example: You didn't use your turn signal okay? Where are you going? Don't worry about the camera okay? You smell like alcohol okay? Can I search your car okay? It's a domestic call okay? She said you hit her okay? i'm just trying to figure out what's going on okay? This neighborhood is known for drugs okay?

Will someone please explain why the police always ask you if it's okay?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2017, 12:29 AM

16,066 posts, read 21,138,178 times
They aren't asking if something is okay, as in asking for permission. They are using okay to mean "do you understand?", as in giving a reason for what they are doing. Kind of a shorthand if you want to think of it that way.

"This neighborhood is known for drugs, ok, (so you understand why I'm questioning your loitering here, right?)"
"You smell like alcohol, ok, (so you understand I think I have good reason to give you a breath test?)"

Old 09-10-2017, 05:34 AM

10,342 posts, read 5,864,111 times
Maybe you're​ watching the episodes filmed in Canada.
We use 'then' and 'ok' a lot way up north too.
Next time check and see if that's the situation then, ok?

Old 09-10-2017, 07:48 AM

164 posts, read 175,108 times
OK. LOL

Thanks for responding. I've never been pulled over by the police so I don't know first hand, but I do like to watch the cop shows. I just think it's funny that they seem to say ok after everything. I didn't know if it was something they do for television or they are trained to do that. It just seems funny that they say, I'm going to arrest you now ok. Turn around and put your hands behind your back ok.

I think that if I ever do get pulled over and the officer says I need to see your license and registration ok, I don't know if I could keep from laughing. I always thought that if you had dealings with the police, this was not a good thing but they seem so nice on tv, it makes me want to maybe put breaking the law just once on my bucket list. Nothing serious, maybe roll through a stop sign, go 5 miles over the speed limit or steal a Hershey bar. I did have an officer come to the house once to make a report when my car was stolen. He was very nice. He said I didn't seem like the type of person that would make my car disappear. I didn't know people actually did that.

I hope it doesn't seem like I'm making fun since I do appreciate the police.

Ok Ok Ok wishing the best to our men and women in blue.

Old 09-10-2017, 01:46 PM

44,625 posts, read 61,603,272 times
If you say 'okay' to search your vehicle then you relinquish your right to have a search warrant. Officers then can assume it's okay to search throughout your vehicle right now.
If you initially say no, then you and the cop(s) have to wait until a search warrant is issued by a judge. Then you may have to wait around for hours until it's served, or even possibly have your car towed in and impounded.

Old 09-17-2017, 01:25 PM

5,110 posts, read 3,069,372 times
What if it's a situation where a judge would not give a warrant cause there is no probable cause? Does the officer have the right to hold the person there, for hours, knowing that a judge will say no, cause he has no probable cause, or are they allowed to, even though legally it's a complete waist of time and a moot point, out of curiosity?

Old 09-20-2017, 12:17 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,130,732 times
Never heard this, hear mostly the same things from criminals caught with drugs/guns/loot-"Its not mine". That one is universal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime