Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2017, 09:30 PM

10,453 posts, read 4,036,859 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atalanta View Post
It would be a great course to have in school.

Also, parents who use alcohol drugs, certain meds that they are not suppose to take during pregnancy, get a prison term along with therapy.

I have seen Children with Fetal Alchohol Syndrome that the mother never had any illegal consequences.
I know a woman who while she was pregnant, she smoked the whole time during the pregnancy. Fast forward several years and her child is very autistic, and so she qualifies for tons of government aid because she has a special needs child, which may or may not have been due to her smoking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2017, 04:16 AM

574 posts, read 382,574 times
Im no parent or genius, but when he started killing animals and unlimbing them for "fun," that would've been a sign of something up.... from what I can remember, his father gave him a disecting set to do that

Old 11-13-2017, 05:50 AM

2,911 posts, read 1,359,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse78 View Post
I know a woman who while she was pregnant, she smoked the whole time during the pregnancy. Fast forward several years and her child is very autistic, and so she qualifies for tons of government aid because she has a special needs child, which may or may not have been due to her smoking.
You must be pretty young. Go back 30, 40 or more years, women smoking while pregnant was the norm. Most of them drank alcohol too and many took drugs prescribed by their doctors that are almost impossible to get hold of or illegal now. Plus almost all children were immunized back then, unlike today. Yet the autism numbers weren't any higher back then. I think you're mistaken to blame that mother for what happened to her child.

Old 11-13-2017, 05:57 AM

6,297 posts, read 4,195,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSeligman View Post
Im no parent or genius, but when he started killing animals and unlimbing them for "fun," that would've been a sign of something up.... from what I can remember, his father gave him a disecting set to do that
Again parent blaming without knowing the facts. Despite the rumors and consequently regurgitated misinformation on blogs He never killed animals, he dissected animals he found dead. Still sick,but his fascination with examining the carcasses of dead animals is not something he shared until he was an adult and in prison. Psychopaths are very clever at hiding things,or disguising things to look like normal interests.

Old 11-13-2017, 09:21 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,958,474 times
Someone has to grow up to be taxidermists (which is how he presented the "hobby" to his father) as well as lab techs, morticians, surgeons, medical examiners, pathologists, etc. Most of us couldn't stomach that, but thank goodness there are people who can.

I watched the "Jeffrey Dahmer Speaks Out" show that was aired this past weekend. Other than those crimes, I'd have to say he seems like a very decent guy. I would blame either the bio mother's detached parenting style or her prenatal pharma use.

Old 11-13-2017, 09:37 AM

1,782 posts, read 2,744,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Someone has to grow up to be taxidermists (which is how he presented the "hobby" to his father) as well as lab techs, morticians, surgeons, medical examiners, pathologists, etc. Most of us couldn't stomach that, but thank goodness there are people who can.

I watched the "Jeffrey Dahmer Speaks Out" show that was aired this past weekend. Other than those crimes, I'd have to say he seems like a very decent guy. I would blame either the bio mother's detached parenting style or her prenatal pharma use.
Read "The Stranger Beside Me."

Even AFTER people who knew Ted Bundy learned who Ted Bundy really was, they could not believe it. After all, he was such a likable fellow.

That's the very nature of sociopaths. They hide in plain sight.

And there's Helen Morrison, who wrote "My Life Among Serial Killers."

She writes,

"With serial killers, I never quite know whom I'm dealing with. They're so friendly and so kind and very solicitous at the beginning of our work together. I've often thought, is this person the right person? Maybe I missed something.

"They're charming, almost unbelievably so, charismatic like a Cary Grant or George Clooney (although rarely as handsome). They treat me as if I am a kindred spirit. However, when I sit with them for 4-6 hours at a time, solid, without interruption, everything changes. I have learned that a serial murderer can't maintain his solicitude for any period of time past 2-3 hours. At this point, I can begin to strip away the superficial layer of affability to reveal a dark, barren core."

Old 11-13-2017, 12:07 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,758,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
If there's one thing I have learned, it's that no two children are ever raised in the same family.

What an interesting way of putting it. Would you say that even goes for twins?

Old 11-13-2017, 12:57 PM

9,153 posts, read 9,489,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
I knew a set of twins who weren't raised in the same family. They weren't identical and the parents favored the bigger, better looking, more athletic one. The smaller one did better at school but he got no props for that because he wasn't a standout scholar I guess.

The favored one got praised, got to use the car, got to go more places, etc etc etc.

Old 11-13-2017, 02:47 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,958,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosemaryT View Post
Read "The Stranger Beside Me."

Even AFTER people who knew Ted Bundy learned who Ted Bundy really was, they could not believe it. After all, he was such a likable fellow.

That's the very nature of sociopaths. They hide in plain sight.

And there's Helen Morrison, who wrote "My Life Among Serial Killers."

She writes,

"With serial killers, I never quite know whom I'm dealing with. They're so friendly and so kind and very solicitous at the beginning of our work together. I've often thought, is this person the right person? Maybe I missed something.

"They're charming, almost unbelievably so, charismatic like a Cary Grant or George Clooney (although rarely as handsome). They treat me as if I am a kindred spirit. However, when I sit with them for 4-6 hours at a time, solid, without interruption, everything changes. I have learned that a serial murderer can't maintain his solicitude for any period of time past 2-3 hours. At this point, I can begin to strip away the superficial layer of affability to reveal a dark, barren core."
Yes, I realize that sociopaths can be superficially charming -- but Dahmer wasn't. He just seemed like a meek, mild man who was sincerely just as puzzled and troubled by his "compulsions" as the rest of the world was...

Old 11-13-2017, 03:17 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,940,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
Bipolar disorder are considered to be one of the most highly inheritable mental disorders, yet the level of expression in identical twins is 50% - which means in half the cases where one identical twin has bipolar disorder, the other one doesn't.

All About Depression: Causes

Why the difference? Different experiences of the environment, different choices, different treatment by parental figures, different belief systems, minute differences in the womb environment (or perhaps in the functioning of the placenta, etc. Even identical twins are not 100% identical.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime