Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2018, 10:59 AM

370 posts, read 446,803 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
Never seen the show. Are we talking "reality TV" here?

If so, you know the drill, It is "made up" stuff to capture eyeballs, and less about the "accuracy" of the actual processes and conclusions. Hopefully nobody is actually being charged/convicted on the basis of reality shows.

Forensic Files is a show that features real crimes and details how they capture the perpetrator.

The announcer and background music make it my favorite show to leave on TV while falling asleep.

@OP: Did you know that they are now using DNA test data pulled from websites like "23 and Me" to capture criminals from cold cases?

Police Capture Alleged Child-Killer Who Taunted Them for Decades

Old 07-23-2018, 11:38 AM

6,844 posts, read 3,959,283 times
DNA and fingerprints are probably the present gold standard where finding a match = guilt. But they can also be used to eliminate a match. Blood spatter science has pretty much been shown to be subjective and not scientific at all. Bear in mind, prosecutors are usually not seeking justice, they are seeking a win. That's how innocent people get convicted. On the flip side, with the right lawyers, a guilty person can be found not guilty.

Old 07-23-2018, 01:41 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,206,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgathrights View Post
Forensic Files is a show that features real crimes and details how they capture the perpetrator.

The announcer and background music make it my favorite show to leave on TV while falling asleep.

@OP: Did you know that they are now using DNA test data pulled from websites like "23 and Me" to capture criminals from cold cases?

Police Capture Alleged Child-Killer Who Taunted Them for Decades

OMG, I thought I was the only one!! lol! There is definitely something about that guy's voice that's like listening to someone reading a bedtime story!

Old 07-23-2018, 03:02 PM

510 posts, read 716,595 times
I work for the county government (not in anything related to crime) and it is chronically underfunded. I'm betting this is true in both county and state government at least in the US. I doubt that they have the best equipment and staff, even if very qualified and dedicated are probably underpaid.

That's why the fictional crime shows (not Forensic Files) with all their shiny stuff and multiple staff working on a single case is no doubt a joke. Our own city police have only four squad cars out at a time which is scary. Everybody wants lower taxes - well, that's how you get them.

Old 07-23-2018, 04:28 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,268,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by enigmatico View Post
I'm sorry to tell you, but that's an uninformed and naive view of how the process actually works. The DA, the police, and the lab workers are essentially colleagues. They're all employed by the state and they work hand in hand. An investigator walks into the lab with his samples and says "look, we really need to tie this guy to the scene somehow"...That's how things happen. It's not being done objectively.

Nickerman raises an excellent point, as this is a very real concern. All evidence testing should be done totally anonymously. There needs to be a buffer between law enforcement and the lab.
That's not true. I worked in forensics for a long time, I never had a detective approach me and encourage me to alter my findings in a particular way. A person working in forensics has nothing to gain by lying or falsifying evidence, but they have everything to lose including their job and their reputation.

The most common source of bad analysis has been in labs (many of them independent) where technicians didn't actually test drugs but instead simply reported that they were all positive.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...ropped-n747891

Old 07-23-2018, 06:11 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,386,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickerman View Post
It seems that forensic science has come a long way with DNA and everything. I watch Forensic Files regularly and it is enlightening to see how far they have cone. But one thing that bothers me a little is that time and again I see that forensic scientist have a mark that they want to prove did a crime and they hope they can get a match somehow on that mark being the perpetrator. Instead of approaching it in an objective manner--guilty until proved innocent type thing. Maybe I am wrong but it seems their trying to prove someone guilty bothers me sometimes'

I too watch those TV shows. But they do not reflect the duration of time it actually takes to put together evidence so that it sticks. The county prosecutor is the one who makes the final decision to try the suspect. They must ensure they have sufficient evidence. An innocent person can be convicted but so can a criminal get off scott free. It doesn't just happen between commercials. The work involved in court cases does not happen between commercials like the TV shows.
In the case of inaccurate or contaminated lab testing, there are not enough steps taken to ensure the conclusions are without fault. The defense can order their own from any lab they want.

Coroners have also been found guilty of purposely skewing autopsy results

We don't know everything about DNA and I think there are still a lot of secrets to discover.

Old 07-24-2018, 05:30 AM

4,004 posts, read 2,082,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickerman View Post
Maybe I am wrong but it seems their trying to prove someone guilty bothers me sometimes'
Showing you how the evidence helped convict the perpetrator is the crux of the show. The show is not the entity proving someone's guilt. Forensic Files presents the case to you after-the-fact.

Old 07-24-2018, 07:06 AM

12,108 posts, read 23,278,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by enigmatico View Post
I'm sorry to tell you, but that's an uninformed and naive view of how the process actually works. The DA, the police, and the lab workers are essentially colleagues. They're all employed by the state and they work hand in hand. An investigator walks into the lab with his samples and says "look, we really need to tie this guy to the scene somehow"...That's how things happen. It's not being done objectively.

Nickerman raises an excellent point, as this is a very real concern. All evidence testing should be done totally anonymously. There needs to be a buffer between law enforcement and the lab.
No, you are wrong. We rarely even speak with the forensic folks. We drop off our evidence at the intake counter and wait to hear back from them about the results of their analysis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime