Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2018, 06:28 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 7 days ago)

35,629 posts, read 17,961,729 times

Advertisements

Interesting terminology, repeated use of the word "claims".

https://www.kvue.com/article/news/wo.../500-622962728

I wonder what's the back story here. The judge, and the prosecutor, state that the facts led them away from prosecuting the case to the fullest, as there was conflicting evidence that would not have led to a conviction of rape before a jury.

So they settled it out of court.

I think in this kind of case, where the criminal court has run its course, and the victim sues in civil court, the victim's name should now be revealed.

Criminal court is one thing, when you sue for a million bucks it's time to put your skin in the game, IMHO.

And now, because it's in civil court, the "problems" with this case will be public.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2018, 10:07 AM

17,584 posts, read 15,254,427 times
Wow.. I'm surprised. I thought I was going to read that and it was the newspaper that didn't ID the plaintiff. And, I could understand that.

A "Doe" civil case.. Yeah.. That gets into a weird area that I'm not sure i'm comfortable with. I'd have no problem with the newspaper not IDing the person.. But court records?

Old 12-12-2018, 01:24 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,762,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Wow.. I'm surprised. I thought I was going to read that and it was the newspaper that didn't ID the plaintiff. And, I could understand that.

A "Doe" civil case.. Yeah.. That gets into a weird area that I'm not sure i'm comfortable with. I'd have no problem with the newspaper not IDing the person.. But court records?

Roe vs. Wade was a civil case that didn't reveal the name of the plaintiff, and nobody says anything about that. Her name was not really Jane Roe. Especially considering the nature of the issue being brought to court this time, I'm not that surprised they're keeping the name private.

Old 12-12-2018, 07:21 PM

87 posts, read 64,863 times
Roe vs. Wade was also a case that was mooted by the fact that by the time it got to Washington she had already given birth. In reality, the whole case was just a theoretical that was thrown at SCOTUS for political change. Jane Roe's real name was Norma McCorvey and she revealed in her books and writings how she felt before she died and went so far as to try to complain to SCOTUS that her lawyers took advantage of her for political gain. The reply of SCOTUS was only that it was "Too late" without denying that her Lawyer (who did not appear in court) had abused her.

In my own experiences, "DOE" cases are often about intentionally remaining vague to hide people.

Old 12-16-2018, 07:27 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 7 days ago)

Wow. I wonder why the prosecutor even prosecuted this case. I understand why he wasn't given jail time - why was he prosecuted at all?

Hopefully, the truth that will come out in the civil trial - if one actually does proceed - will air the facts.

This case should have been handled with charging her with falsely reporting a crime, and be done with it.

https://www.kvue.com/article/news/lo.../269-623641971

Old 12-17-2018, 01:41 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,380,774 times
She is also suing the fraternity and she might get a settlement from them. The suit against Baylor may not stick because the house where this occurred was off campus. I'm wondering what Baylor's relations to this fraternity are. I think many universities would do well to distance themselves from Greek culture because there are inevitable lawsuits from hazing incidents, rapes, etcetera.

Old 12-17-2018, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
She is also suing the fraternity and she might get a settlement from them. The suit against Baylor may not stick because the house where this occurred was off campus. I'm wondering what Baylor's relations to this fraternity are. I think many universities would do well to distance themselves from Greek culture because there are inevitable lawsuits from hazing incidents, rapes, etcetera.
I would be surprised if she gets a settlement, at all.

There is apparently no DNA evidence that this encounter even occurred, and after she stated it occurred she was seen by friends looking fine. There is absolutely no evidence that she was choked and left to die. Or even that the sexual encounter she states happened, happened.

IMHO, it's time for the media to name the accuser the way they name the accused. Unless the accuser is a child.

It's completely shocking to me that this case was prosecuted, at all. This should have been dismissed with no charges against the man, IMHO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime