Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2017, 11:08 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,740,268 times

Advertisements

There is also a recall effort to get rid of Beicker, led by Rick Ratzlaff, the man who purchased, Dodd's storage unit at auction.

A correction to my last post, the article mentions that the CBI has turned over most of their investigation into Dodd to the District Attorney.

Effort to recall Fremont County Sheriff Jim Beicker approved | Pueblo Chieftain
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2017, 03:53 PM

23,866 posts, read 33,545,704 times
Petition circulating to recall Fremont County Sheriff
By: Angelica Lombardi
Posted: Apr 28, 2017 05:38 PM MDT
"When I saw them doing nothing about all the officers besides putting them on a paid vacation, I figured it was time to do something about it," said Rick Ratzlaff, who organized the petition.

and made the connection, and showed Sheriff Beicker.

The victim's mother, Dolores Hiltz, says she and her family will sign the petition.

"I will sign it and so will my friends. I think the sheriff is in way above his head and he goes along with just shoving it under the carpet rather than dealing with it," Hiltz said.

In order for the petition to pass, the group will have 60 days* to gather 4,166 signatures from registered Fremont County voters.

Petition circulating to recall Fremont County Sheriff - KRDO

Old 05-01-2017, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
There is also a recall effort to get rid of Beicker, led by Rick Ratzlaff, the man who purchased, Dodd's storage unit at auction.

A correction to my last post, the article mentions that the CBI has turned over most of their investigation into Dodd to the District Attorney.

Effort to recall Fremont County Sheriff Jim Beicker approved | Pueblo Chieftain
Do you know Dodds partners name? I'm not seeing it on google searches

Old 05-01-2017, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
I don't know. I will try to find it.

Old 05-03-2017, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Quote:
I don't know. I will try to find it.
Someone posting on the WS thread had asked. I googled then picked thru most of the thread here. I'm not seeing it mentioned who his partner was before he was put on leave. He was a lieutenant, would he have had a partner?

Back when Candace was murdered, Dodd and Briscoe were put in charge of the scene/ case. Going to copy and paste what I added there for any new people coming here to read.

Facebook post by Canon City Daily Record News - Posted February 4 ·

Fremont County Sheriff's Office denies second records request

Candace's mom replied -
Quote:
Thank you. I am not confident of a CBI investigation. The day of Candaces murder they were here and to take over scene. Was told that about 7pm. Then for some reason they turned it over to Dodd and Briscoe. Who destroyed all they could. CBI has not contacted me at all. Even now with Dodd having items with unknown unrelated DNA they have not bothered to speak to me. February 8 at 1:55pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by doloreshiltz View Post
My daughter Candace Hiltz was murdered on August 15, 2006. So many years have pasted with No real investagation done. Her case has never been handed over to un solved crimes. Why? It is simple. The crime scene was miss managed. All evidence left there as they chased my son James up and down mountains. They did not crime tape the house. On August 18 police allowed me to go to my house. I arrived to the back door open. The blanket her dead body had laid on the 15 still there. A shot gun casing still sitting in my granddaughters cradle. All was as the 15th. On the 19th my son Jonathan bagged and labled a 20gal rubbermaid tub of evidence filled to the top. We planned on sending this to a lab in Boulder. Fremont convisgated this as my son Casey made the mistake of telling detectives Briscoe and Dodd about it, These Detectives were responsible for this crime scene. They left all the evidence. In the days after my daughters murder at least 3 people entered my home. Comprimizing all the evidence. They knew the day she died that 2 gunmen entered my home the 15th. That Candace was fired on from 2 directions similtanisly dying instantly. She suffered two blasts to the back and right of her head by shotgun. The left of her body was numerous 22 blasts. All hit her while standing. These killers put her on the blanket to move her. At the end of the hall she must have went into death tremors. They put her down and a after death chest shot by the shotgun occured than. That shows me the killers had never hunted. They would of known what death tremors were. The casing in the cradle was from that shot. These detectives also know that unrelated DNA is connected to this case. So years go by. Bits and pieces come to me. People to afraid to speak to police. Two killers walk free thanks to shoddy police work. So do not feel safe Fremont County. Among us walks free 2 murderers. They have too commit a felony for DNA to be taken. That means they could kill again.
Article mentioned who met Rick at the storage unit -
Contents sold at auction after deputy failed to pay bill - BY TRACY HARMON THE PUEBLO CHIEFTAIN BY JON POMPIA THE PUEBLO CHIEFTAIN Jan 13, 2017

Quote:
"He says, 'I hear you have a storage unit that used to be an officer's.' I said, 'Yes.' He said, 'Can I get it?' and I said, 'I don't know.' He said, 'Well, your life could be in danger here.'

"It was like a threat," Ratzlaff said.

Ratzlaff said Beicker asked to meet him at the storage unit. Beicker showed up with Fremont County Sheriff's Cmdr. Jeff Worley, and Ratzlaff was with his wife, Arin Reed.
Article is no longer online
CBI investigating found evidence - Items contained in a storage unit may be related to Candace Hiltz homicide - By Tracy Harmon The PUeblo Chieftain - Published: January 14, 2017; Last modified: January 14, 2017 10:46PM

Quote:
In a statement released by the Fremont County Sheriff’s office, CBI officials indicated they were “requested by the Fremont County Sheriff’s office to investigate an incident involving apparent evidence discovered at an off-site facility in December 2016. Because this is an active investigation, the CBI will not offer comment on the work being conducted by agents from the Bureau’s Pueblo Regional Office.”

Moderator cut: copyright violation

Another great article that anyone new to this case should read; it also tells about their dog that was axed a few days before Candace was murdered.

Mother talks about mishandling of her daughter's murder case - By Tracy Harmon The Pueblo Chieftain Jan 16, 2017

Quote:
CANON CITY -- Fremont County Sheriff Jim Beicker said Monday that he has placed sheriff's Lt. Robert Dodd on administrative leave after it was reported Saturday by The Pueblo Chieftain that evidence in a gruesome decades-old murder case was found in a storage unit formerly rented by Dodd....

.... Beicker confirmed in his statement that on Dec. 30, he and Commander Jeff Worley "did briefly look at the evidence in the storage locker and immediately contacted CBI regarding the matter. With their consultation, we catalogued, photographed, collected and secured the items, moving them into the Fremont County evidence storage.
Moderator cut: copyright violation

Last edited by Ibginnie; 06-06-2017 at 08:25 AM..

Old 05-03-2017, 09:40 AM

Thanks for posting that Roselvr. It is such a bizarre and intriguing case. I keep checking for updates to the CBI investigation, which unfortunately is only looking into wrongdoing in regards to Dodd, not into Candace's case. Hoping that will follow. It's also disconcerting that evidence meant for the CBI was taken by Biecker and Worley. So many signs pointing to corruption and cover up.

Old 05-03-2017, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Thanks for posting that Roselvr. It is such a bizarre and intriguing case. I keep checking for updates to the CBI investigation, which unfortunately is only looking into wrongdoing in regards to Dodd, not into Candace's case. Hoping that will follow. It's also disconcerting that evidence meant for the CBI was taken by Biecker and Worley. So many signs pointing to corruption and cover up.
You're welcome. We had a few new people at WS; figured I'd bring it here too since we're close to a hundred posts in

Its a miracle he defaulted on the storage fee. He knew what he had in there; knew it would blow up in his face if he lost the storage. I wonder what happened that led to it; whether he got bills sent to his house; if so did he move or ignore them? Maybe he did "paperless"; got notifications via email; if so, did his spam filter put them in the spam box or did he ignore them? Maybe he had electronics issues like me; I've had cell, computer and tablet issues the last year.

Did he think that since he's a cop they wouldn't put his storage up for auction? That's what runs thru my mind since seeing the 1st article about the evidence in the storage. How stupid could he be? Seems like whatever happened there was a higher power in charge to step in. Such a miracle it blew up in his face.

Praying Candace's family gets justice, justice for Candace and her daughter who witnessed her murder.

Last edited by Roselvr; 05-03-2017 at 01:14 PM..

Old 05-03-2017, 01:27 PM

Quote:
You're welcome. We had a few new people at WS; figured I'd bring it here too since we're close to a hundred posts in

Its a miracle he defaulted on the storage fee. He knew what he had in there; knew it would blow up in his face if he lost the storage. I wonder what happened that led to it; whether he got bills sent to his house; if so did he move or ignore them? Maybe he did "paperless"; got notifications via email; if so, did his spam filter put them in the spam box or did he ignore them? Maybe he had electronics issues like me; I've had cell, computer and tablet issues the last year.

Did he think that since he's a cop they wouldn't put his storage up for auction? That's what runs thru my mind since seeing the 1st article about the evidence in the storage. How stupid could he be? Seems like whatever happened there was a higher power in charge to step in. Such a miracle it blew up in his face.

Praying Candace's family gets justice, justice for Candace and her daughter who witnessed her murder.
I read somewhere that Dodd wrote a bad check to the storage facility. I don't know where I read that though. It could have been a random comment so no idea if it's even true. I also read some strange comments somewhere on facebook from a woman who asked Rick Ratzlaff in a condescending way if he was going to return the money he found in the storage shed. I get the feeling that she is related to Dodd. The comments are often more interesting then the articles themselves. Canon City seems like a seedy place.

Old 05-03-2017, 02:19 PM

Quote:
I read somewhere that Dodd wrote a bad check to the storage facility. I don't know where I read that though. It could have been a random comment so no idea if it's even true. I also read some strange comments somewhere on facebook from a woman who asked Rick Ratzlaff in a condescending way if he was going to return the money he found in the storage shed. I get the feeling that she is related to Dodd. The comments are often more interesting then the articles themselves. Canon City seems like a seedy place.
It wouldn't surprise me if he did write a bad check to storage. Storage usually charges by the month; I would think a late notice comes for the next billing cycle. So that would be twice late, then go to month 3. I doubt they would list it for sale then; he probably got a notice by month 4 that if he didn't pay it would go to auction by a certain date.

As for anything in the storage unit, the buyer owns it; personal property, family heirlooms, cash as we know the only things not belonging to Rick would be police evidence. Dodd can have people ask about money on FB but Rick doesn't have to give it back. Legally its his. If it was some how evidence money; I guess LE would have to step in but Dodd is SOL.

If he did have cash in there; he's stupid for not using it to pay the storage rent.

Old 05-03-2017, 02:39 PM

Quote:
It wouldn't surprise me if he did write a bad check to storage. Storage usually charges by the month; I would think a late notice comes for the next billing cycle. So that would be twice late, then go to month 3. I doubt they would list it for sale then; he probably got a notice by month 4 that if he didn't pay it would go to auction by a certain date.

As for anything in the storage unit, the buyer owns it; personal property, family heirlooms, cash as we know the only things not belonging to Rick would be police evidence. Dodd can have people ask about money on FB but Rick doesn't have to give it back. Legally its his. If it was some how evidence money; I guess LE would have to step in but Dodd is SOL.

If he did have cash in there; he's stupid for not using it to pay the storage rent.
Exactly my thoughts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime