U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-31-2008, 12:04 AM

150 posts, read 304,319 times

Advertisements

A friend of mine recently told me that if someone urinates in public and gets caught, he/she must register as a sex offender. Is this true?

I can understand making someone register as a sex offender for urinating in the presence of a minor; that's a given.

But stopping on the side of a rural road to take a leak? I can't imagine why anyone would have to register as a sex offender for doing something as harmless and miniscule as that.

There's got to be more to this.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2008, 12:35 AM

5,767 posts, read 5,252,125 times
Yes, it is true.

Unfortunately, like with everything else, what started out as a good thing has now bordered on the ridiculous. Being called a sex offender, because you urinated in public is not the same as raping a child or adult.

The 3-strikes law has also proven to be a bust. Many states are trying to overhaul it.

Old 05-31-2008, 12:41 AM

117 posts, read 220,987 times
Really? That's dumb, what if you're in the middle of a cornfield or something?

Old 05-31-2008, 07:10 AM

278 posts, read 858,620 times
That is not dumb. It is very disgusting and extremely improper. Go find the nearest bathroom for gods sake! At least there is something being done about it now.

Old 05-31-2008, 07:51 AM

605 posts, read 1,713,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aj2007 View Post
That is not dumb. It is very disgusting and extremely improper. Go find the nearest bathroom for gods sake! At least there is something being done about it now.
Your location says NYC area. Do you appreciate that there are great swathes of the country in which one may find oneself that are many miles from the nearest bathroom?

Now, back to the sensible discussion. There must be some parameters around this, surely? Say for instance one is hiking in the countryside? Pretty much every hiking trail in the country involves the necessity for going outdoors - you just don't do it in front of someone else.

Old 05-31-2008, 08:52 AM

174 posts, read 338,798 times
This is a very curious piece of information. I wonder if I could entrap someone this way. Let's just say I don't like someone very much. I could go on a hiking trip with him, fill his bladder with coffee or soda, then whip out a camera when he dares to relieve himself "in public" (notice the quotes) and make a citizen's arrest resulting in a sexual offender status for this "pervert." Maybe I could follow up and report him when he doesn't register on time.

Old 05-31-2008, 09:37 AM

5,375 posts, read 7,149,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skreem2 View Post
This is a very curious piece of information. I wonder if I could entrap someone this way. Let's just say I don't like someone very much. I could go on a hiking trip with him, fill his bladder with coffee or soda, then whip out a camera when he dares to relieve himself "in public" (notice the quotes) and make a citizen's arrest resulting in a sexual offender status for this "pervert." Maybe I could follow up and report him when he doesn't register on time.
I find the image of you "filling his bladder with coffee or soda" quite amusing. What are you going to use, a straw or something? Ewwww!!!

If you're taking pictures of an illegal sexual offense, doesn't that sort of make you guilty of a crime too?

Old 05-31-2008, 11:05 AM

278 posts, read 858,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonrob View Post
Your location says NYC area. Do you appreciate that there are great swathes of the country in which one may find oneself that are many miles from the nearest bathroom?

Now, back to the sensible discussion. There must be some parameters around this, surely? Say for instance one is hiking in the countryside? Pretty much every hiking trail in the country involves the necessity for going outdoors - you just don't do it in front of someone else.
Well I'm sure if you're far out in the country you won't be seeing many cops anyway. I just think it's extremely disgusting if you do it in a populated area. I've been outside of the NYC area and I have never once used the bathroom out side of a rest room. Seriously in Southern California how far will you be from the nearest gas station. Just hold it!

Old 05-31-2008, 11:13 AM

5,375 posts, read 7,149,693 times
In all seriousness, the city and country have different standards. I go backroading all the time in my 4x4 and it's not unusual for me to just stop right in the center of the dirt road, turn off the engine and step out to relieve myself. There may be only 3-4 vehicles per day traffic. Nobody is going to care about that.

The problem is urination in congested urban and suburban areas. With such a high density of occupation the practice is not accepted, is uncivil and uncouth. In the city you gotta go find a designated place to relieve yourself.

The thought of prosecuting this as a sexual offense and labeling the perpetrator as a sexual deviant is ridiculous. It's a vagrancy type crime and deserves the same treatment, a modest fine or a short stay at the graybar hotel. Society is getting too casual about awarding sexual offender status in too many situations. I'm reminded of a news story last year about an elementary school student being awarded the sexual offender designation, for life!

Keep it zipped in the city. There's a place for everything, and unfettered urination belongs in the country, on deserted backroads and isolated hiking trails.

Old 05-31-2008, 12:06 PM

2,655 posts, read 7,321,542 times
Default Huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj2007 View Post
Yeah, including someone peeing in a ditch because his/her bladder is about to pop with the personalities on Megan's Law dot-gov web site, sounds reasonable. Can we say, "witch hunt"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime