Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2010, 11:23 AM

16,077 posts, read 28,552,612 times

Advertisements

When reading her petition for a new trial it reminded of Tom Capano from Delaware still petitioning as of 2008 for a new trial and denied as well. They spend their prison sentences researching and focusing attention looking for some unfairness or injustice in their previous trials in hope of a new outcome and lighter sentencing. Its all points to minimizing their actions and refusal to accept the full consequences

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackandproud View Post
Susan Smith is asking for a new trial using the excuse that the previous trial was unfair?

This woman strapped her children in their car seat and rolled the car into the lake, then accused two black men of car jacking her vehicle. There is a special place in H.ll for someone this evil.

Susan Smith Asks For New Trial - Greenville News Story - WYFF Greenville
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2011, 12:13 PM

1 posts, read 2,355 times
In class today, Susan Smith was brought in the topic of Post Partum Depression. I was Enraged. Susan Smith did not suffer from Post Partum Depression. That is a really pathetic excuse. Susan Smith suffered from evil ***** who's boyfriend did not want kids. She then, got on tv and begged that black man to bring her kids back. Andrea Yates actually did have post partum depression. Did she try to cover up what she had done? NO! People with that kind of depression do not care about the consequences of their actions. She didn't care that she would go to jail because she was truly and severely depressed. Every evil person does not have a medical condition. Some are just bad people. Why can people, even nursing instructors not make this connection. It only matters because I don't think Susan Smith should get an ounce of sympathy, and people who really do have post partum depression do have some sympathy and some reason for what they did. Susan Smith was not the same, and it's so irritating that even in nursing school I'm being taught that Susan Smith had post partum depression!!!!!!

Old 01-19-2011, 06:21 PM

26,726 posts, read 26,798,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lindsayraec323 View Post
In class today, Susan Smith was brought in the topic of Post Partum Depression.
Postpartum depression in a woman with a child over a year old? (Smith's youngest was 14 months old.) That doesn't sound very accurate.

Old 01-20-2011, 08:15 AM

501 posts, read 1,474,154 times
Well good luck with that Susan Smith. This woman has the audacity to claim her "rights" were violated? How about the rights of her kids to live? This is a very manipulative, evil woman. If a retrial was not granted a month prior, what are her chances of getting another trial?

Her first attorney was spot on - she could have very well be found guilty and a death sentence imposed just like she imposed a death sentence on those poor little boys.

Andrea Yeates was out of her mind and Rusty was culpable too. The psychiatrists told him she was ill but he chose to ignore them for his own selfish reasons. He should have done some time too. Instead after the trial he divorces Andea and finds himself a new wife and baby maker. How nice for him. Andrea should not have been sent to prison but to a psychiatric facility.

Old 01-20-2011, 08:12 PM

1,881 posts, read 3,352,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by penguin_kernel View Post
I just don't see her doing any serious jail time. It would not be *politically correct* to send her to prison.
it appears sir, that you are clueless.

Old 01-20-2011, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix lady View Post
The Andrea Yates case was something else. I really think her husband was partly culpable. The marriage held that baby-making was part of their religion, I believe. The man sees his wife having baby after baby, and did he not see her mental health was failing, with every chld born? She had suffered severe post partum depression/pschosis after the birth of the next to last child, I think.. And, his mother or her mother in law was part of their lives, too. Did she not see what was going on? And, after the incident he was on Larry King, I think, looking perfectly detached (his normal self)from it all.
Of course she was culpable for this, but it seemed evident that post-partum depression, probably coupled with already existing mental problems prior brought this horrible event to pass. Where was her "religious" husband in all of this?? These things don't "just happen"-- there are red flags all along the way, that everyone around them is refusing to see.
exactly. i agree totally.

does anyone remember that horrible story, that happened in texas, where the woman murdered and actually ate part of her little baby? god, what a heartbreaking story. this woman was schizophrenic and had been in and out of hospitals. that night, she kept calling her neighbor asking her to come over and take care of her little baby. she kept saying she could feel an episode coming on. the woman would come get the baby, the mother would calm down and everything seemed ok. this happened several times that night. sometime that early morning the woman began to believe that satan was after her child, and that the only way to save him was to mutilate him and kill him. the neighbor who had watched the child earlier asked her, "why didn't you call me?" and the woman replied, and i will never forget this as long as i live, "you told me you were dead".
all of her neighbors said, "she was a good person, she was just ill, and when she comes out of this episode and realizes what she has done it will kill her". by all accounts she had never abused her children, was a good mother, and had been prematurely released from hospital. her husband also suffered from schizophrenia but they were estranged. her mugshot was heartbreaking- this was clearly a woman who was not on terra firma. i would hope with someone like that there would be some counseling, medication, something, other than a chair. you could look in her eyes and just know that this isn't the face of evil, its sickness. legit schizo.
for susan smith? hell no. she didn't have the decency to be insane. she just killed her kids BECAUSE. hell no.

Old 01-20-2011, 08:24 PM

1,595 posts, read 2,763,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minethatbird View Post
So her previous trial was unfair?

OK, this time after she's found guilty she's strapped into a car and rolled into the same lake she drowned her kids in.

Perhaps she could take Andrea Yates with her .....
I gave you a + for that

Old 01-20-2011, 08:32 PM

1,595 posts, read 2,763,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
IMO opinion two totally different crimes..it's been proven Andrea was a very ill woman, her husband knew how mentally unstable she was and continued to live that weird life style & religion and LEFT her alone with those kiddos....even after her doctor warned him not to leave her alone with the kids...very sad story all the way around..

I don't think anyone can inflict as much pain on Andrea as she does to her self when lucid....I pray she somehow finds peace one day
Both crimes were calculated, planned and thought out. To me that means they knew exactly what they were doing. Neither one has remorse except to feel sorry for themselves not the children. To some degree she is nuts but not so much that she couldn't ask her doctor, husband, family and church members for help. Her husband should be in prison and so should she at least eventually. She lives a comfy easy life now yet so many other women who kill their children didn't get that.

Old 01-20-2011, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cantthinkofaname View Post
Both crimes were calculated, planned and thought out. To me that means they knew exactly what they were doing. Neither one has remorse except to feel sorry for themselves not the children. To some degree she is nuts but not so much that she couldn't ask her doctor, husband, family and church members for help. Her husband should be in prison and so should she at least eventually. She lives a comfy easy life now yet so many other women who kill their children didn't get that.
something being "thought out" by a schizophrenic or mentally ill person is not the same "thought out" and premeditation that one associates with sane people. the guy who was the sacramento vampire, richard chase, he thought about his crimes too. for about five minutes. he thought about how to get rid of the carcasses of the animals whose blood he drank and which was found caked all over his apartment. that is not the same thing as someone calmly hiding a body. putting those two crimes in the same class really just betrays your lack of knowledge about the cases. she should have gone to her husband. you are probably one of those types who would have said an abused child who killed a parent "should have gone to the coach or someone and told them about it- they didn't- so fry them".

Old 01-21-2011, 01:16 PM

1,619 posts, read 2,828,058 times
I remember vividly when Susan Smith was talking w/the press and she slipped by saying "I loved my children" as opposed to "I love my children" - I had no doubt at all [and my initial instinct prior to that statement that she did something to them] after hearing that statement she harmed them. And, as previously stated, blaming them on others...that is calculated, that is horrible and clearly planned.

I have absolutely no idea how she/attorneys can even entertain a motion for a new trial based on an unfair trial.

It is outrageous -- and this because she cared more about a guy who did not want/like kids. In my opinion, there is a not an iota of an explanation/justification to excuse such a horrible crime.

I am not a strong proponent for the death penalty; it is actually not so much because of a moral or ethical belief. Although I do realize that it can be more costly to keep someone in prison for life rather than to execute them, I tend to think that the death penalty can be too easy - I realize that this may sound too simplistic - but, to me, when someone tortures, has a long history of abusing, cruelty, etc. -- it is over for them-- less time for them to be able to think about what they have done -- less time for them to be confined [such as life] -- less time for them to have the ability to interact with anyone - it is final. The lives of those children -final.

And, as a mom who lost her child at a very young age, it makes me extremely upset and angry [as I am sure other parents feel the same who have lost children] ...

Nope, no new trial and if there is, life w/out parole. Maybe even solitary confinement 23 hours a day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime