Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2010, 12:41 PM

7,005 posts, read 21,328,631 times

Advertisements

If something terrible happened in which a possible jail sentence for the perp just won't be enough? Would you take the next step to "take care of business"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2010, 04:41 PM

1,619 posts, read 2,827,137 times
Does wishing you could do something count? I have experienced horrible crimes by the same person and sadly, the system completely failed me. Did I consider taking the law into my own hands, you betcha I thought about, more than once [smile]...but I did not. If I did take the law/justice into my hands, it would not solely have been to/on the offender, but rather prosectors and law enforcement as well ... and looking at the whole picture, would it have been worth something happening to me, like going to prison instead, no. Do I understand why people want to see justice or actually do, absolutely. Do I think there may be better ways to accomplish that task - I do as well - and that is to become involved in the mechanics of the system, whether it is to write editorials, contact legislators, go to your respective State capital and speak to the assembly - I believe until we all take a stand and become involved in making/changing laws and holding prosecutors, law enforcement and the system accountable, we will continue to want to take the law into our own hands - to accomplish justice.

Old 09-13-2010, 05:59 PM

232 posts, read 676,210 times
As much as I would love to say "yes" I think I would not end up taking justice into my own hands. Doing so would more than likely end with me going to jail for the crime I committed, and that would have a negative impact on my family. Me going to jail would not be good for anyone. As much as it would hurt to know that the offender did not get what he deserved, it would be even worse for me to give up my life and freedoms and hurt my family. But then, who can really say without actually being faced with that situation?

Old 09-13-2010, 08:38 PM

24,095 posts, read 32,437,200 times
No but I might do something legal such as write about the crime in order to draw attention to it.
I can say with total certainty that there is nothing that would drive me to do anything that would involve possible jail of prison time.

Old 09-13-2010, 08:39 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
Hmmmm...I am against vigilante justice. And I am anti-violence. But it would be really, really hard for me not to get involved. Maybe it's all this time spent around criminals and learning that they really are completely self-absorbed and don't care who they hurt. Like my family member's life would have no meaning to them...those people don't deserve to live.

Old 09-13-2010, 09:25 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,687,113 times
I'd like to think that I would.

Old 09-14-2010, 02:38 AM

37,121 posts, read 42,189,292 times
Under the right set of circumstance I know I could...but I don't know if I WOULD.

Old 09-14-2010, 08:03 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,646,108 times
I wouldn't because I'd be afraid of getting a "bad review" at the pearly gates, if indeed that does happen. But, I would be very reluctant, as a juror, to convict someone who did. In certain instances, I can totally understand why a person would take it into their own hands.

Old 09-14-2010, 10:57 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
No I would not. i beleieve that even if not punished on this erath there is punishment. The problem I reallt see is when the laws are not enforced that people will decide to take things i tehre own hads. That is a problem I now see where government ignores enforcing laws on the books for poltical reasons. I thnik that is what is happening now in that people are losing fatih in the leagl system which is very dangerous to a civil society.

Old 09-14-2010, 10:59 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,141,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Cat View Post
If something terrible happened in which a possible jail sentence for the perp just won't be enough? Would you take the next step to "take care of business"?
To defend my kids, or take vengeance on someone who hurt my kids? You better believe it!

What's the worst they can do, put you in jail? Boo hoo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime