Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2010, 12:19 PM

8 posts, read 16,031 times

Advertisements

Is there anyway to check to see if a rental home is in danger of foreclosure? There's been problems in Phoenix with renters making their rental payments and having to move out when the owner doesn't make his mortgage payments and the property is in foreclosure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2010, 01:20 PM

1,024 posts, read 2,747,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vcaz View Post
Is there anyway to check to see if a rental home is in danger of foreclosure? There's been problems in Phoenix with renters making their rental payments and having to move out when the owner doesn't make his mortgage payments and the property is in foreclosure.
That is a problem all over, and renters are stuck without much recourse. Best way to check is do a document search at the Pima County Recorders office. Not an easy site to navigate but there is good information there. When you do a search leave the "type" field blank so it will search for all documents. Also keep the time frame down to the last year. Warning though, you will find for most names it's amazing how many people will have similar names, so it may take some work to figure out which dociments apply to your situation. For a given owner/property if you see a "Notice of Sale" listed you might want to investigate more. A notice of sale is the first step in foreclosure process. If you see a Deed in Lieu of Foreclosure or a Trustee's Deed being issued you will want to do additional research. An easier search, but not as definative, would be the Pima County Treasurers Office. Search the tax records. If a home is going into possible foreclosure or short sale situation it is more than likely the taxes have not been paid. All of 2009 taxes should be paid by now, but check back several years. The bank owned properties I have worked with some have not paid taxes since 2006. The best I had was paid up through 2008. Good Luck!

Old 06-09-2010, 02:59 PM

8 posts, read 16,031 times
Thank you very much for the great info!!!!!

Old 06-12-2010, 10:42 PM

29 posts, read 126,755 times
I think some time ago I saw it on the news that there is a new law in AZ requiring the apartments to tell renters if the place is in danger of foreclosure. Please correct me if I'm wrong...

Old 06-13-2010, 11:00 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,156,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oasiss View Post
I think some time ago I saw it on the news that there is a new law in AZ requiring the apartments to tell renters if the place is in danger of foreclosure. Please correct me if I'm wrong...
Could be, but I doubt it'd apply to private landlords even if it's true.

Old 07-05-2010, 05:15 AM

126 posts, read 235,094 times
Google Protecting Tenants at Foreclosure Act
http://www.nlihc.org/doc/701-704-Public-Law-111-22.pdf (broken link)

We had the house we were renting in San Antonio foreclosed back in Oct 2009. The bank took us to court trying to evict us, but we won. They wanted to take us back to court 90 days later (based on the Protecting Tenants at Foreclosure Act). We lived free of rent Oct 09 through mid-Fed 10. We were also given Cash for Keys, ~1 months' rent.
No rent plus cash for keys more than covered the cost of moving.

Remember that all lawyers are total scumbags and will use underhanded tricks to try to get you out of the house. Insist on your full rights under the Act and also insist on Cash for Keys. ... they made several 'last chance' offers on Cash for Keys during the time that we stayed there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
View detailed profiles of: