U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-15-2010, 05:31 PM

1 posts, read 1,620 times

Advertisements

I'm considering relocating to Tucson with my husband and children and I was hoping to get a bit of insight on where to start researching. My husband and I both have businesses in the art world and are looking for an area that supports indie lifestyle (ie- not cookie cutter suburbs). Can someone recommend where to start looking? Good schools are also a priority- we're open to charter and virtual programs as well.

Thanks in advance
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2010, 10:04 PM

42,844 posts, read 54,195,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by islalaner View Post
I'm considering relocating to Tucson with my husband and children and I was hoping to get a bit of insight on where to start researching. My husband and I both have businesses in the art world and are looking for an area that supports indie lifestyle (ie- not cookie cutter suburbs). Can someone recommend where to start looking? Good schools are also a priority- we're open to charter and virtual programs as well.

Thanks in advance
I suppose you should focus on the downtown area. Personally, I don't find it suitable for raising children, though.

Old 07-17-2010, 02:22 PM

124 posts, read 147,872 times
when it comes to art it is like home, "home is where your heart (art) is" I do some myself www.cameodesignsonline.com I live in the Speedway/Alvernon area in the Garden district, mainly a rental area but many of the owner occupied homes have some art on it, whether they did it themselves I could not tell you but there are some artists living in the area, I personally do not know of a predominate artist occupied section in town but like I said above is what I go by, I think it will be more important to focus in school for the kids, of course crime and budget, for me being centrally located everything and anything is close by.
Lots of Farmer Markets in the Tucson area to go to and sell you art and generally in the southwest, Tucson, Tubac, Patagonia, Bisbee, etc are all towns/cities that have art/craft markets in a regular basis thru out the year.
Downtown area is great for selling your art but as SierraAZ said no good for raising your kids it is mainly a business district with that I am not saying that there are no houses on the area it's better for the younger crowds or couples with no kids IMHO

Old 08-08-2010, 05:32 PM

53 posts, read 60,278 times
Lightbulb Response to relocating to Tucson

Talk to Steven Derks, artist, great guy, very pro supporting other artists, heavily involved in art community projects and promotions, etc.

Unfortuantely when you want to know, ask the busiest guy.

Tell him Deb, the art groupie sent you. I put an artist studio tour together and Mr. Derks was included on that tour.

Mod Cut: No links with less than 10 posts.

Be healthy and well.

Last edited by Grannysroost; 08-08-2010 at 09:12 PM..

Old 08-10-2010, 01:19 AM

106 posts, read 225,655 times
Do a search for Steven and you will find a contact link on one of the sights. Nice guy and willing to help others.

Tucson is a small town, really it is. Regardless of where you choose to live, it is not far to art areas, the university and its art school programs/contacts, galleries, supplies. I know because my partner is a photo artist and is establish himself here after much success in Guadalajara over the past few years.

As everywhere, the art market is down. Starting in a new area will not be easy in these economic times. Education and the arts are always the first to be dumped in the American society, IMNSHO. Too sad.

Good luck. Have a great day.
Joseph

Last edited by Grannysroost; 08-10-2010 at 10:35 PM..

Old 08-19-2010, 05:53 PM

7 posts, read 6,936 times
Unfortunately, the economy has cut down on a lot, and I mean a LOT, on funding for the arts. There is support for artists from the City, as long as it's mainstream type of art meaning it's accessible, non-controversial, and pretty. This is not to say that its citizens do not support the arts, but then again the average citizen is not in financial position to fund its local artists.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson