Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 10:32 AM

54 posts, read 202,327 times

Advertisements

This is my 1st summer in Tucson.....I have been told by alot of people the summer heat is unbearable and miserable. Here it is end of July and I still havent seen it too bad. I came from the South and it gets to be low 100s with 80-90% humidity! Now that is miserable! Is the worse yet to come or do I have a good taste of Tucson summers? In which case I would be very happy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2010, 10:57 AM

9,601 posts, read 31,701,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TucsonBound? View Post
This is my 1st summer in Tucson.....I have been told by alot of people the summer heat is unbearable and miserable. Here it is end of July and I still havent seen it too bad. I came from the South and it gets to be low 100s with 80-90% humidity! Now that is miserable! Is the worse yet to come or do I have a good taste of Tucson summers? In which case I would be very happy!
Interesting observation, TB

About a dozen years ago, I relocated to Tucson from California's Bay Area and have asked the same question many times.

Granted July and August require a little more "inside time" and more air-conditioning than usual but definitely not nearly as bad as most areas around the country. I also remember the 6 to 10 months of UGH Summers in the Southeast.

Old 07-28-2010, 11:29 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,162,128 times
Quote:
It's the hottest from mid-May till the end of June. I personally like it. The weather right now I hate, but it's not going to get worse than that. The monsoons used to be over by the end of August in the past, but in recent years this kind of weather has become common into early September. Past that until Thanksgiving it's beautiful - picture perfect! After that it’s not bad, but it gets cold – the coldest around Christmas. Sometimes the lows at night go under 32. February is often nasty and rainy.

Old 07-28-2010, 04:28 PM

171 posts, read 588,384 times
A lot of Californians complain about the heat because if they are from coastal So Cal they are not used to temps that high. I was in Palm Springs last summer and it was 115 but I was loving it. 115 and 20% humidity beats 85 and 80-90% humidity any day in my book.

Your body does it job very efficiently with low humidity. You just have to make sure to remain hydrated. Your body acts like a swamp cooler. You're sweating, but you dont feel or see it because it evaporates as soon as it come out.

In high humidity, like here in Atlanta, your body cannot cool you off properly and sweat just stays on you. To me it begins to become uncomfortable in the high 70s with humidity. Unbearable at 90 or above.

Old 07-28-2010, 11:41 PM

4,922 posts, read 8,573,613 times
When I lived in the mountains of Colorado, the summers were really hot if the temps went into the upper 70's or lower 80's even though there was little humidity. Afternoon rains in July and August would cool the temps down 20+ degrees and it was uncomfortable to eat dinner outside or really, do anything outside. But, at night, you could sleep with the windows wide open and cool breezes coming in. It was wonderful sleeping weather.

Since I've been in Tucson for a couple of years, when the winter days get in the 40's, I'm freezing, and I don't mind the hot summer days. You get acclimated. I do miss being able to sleep with the windows open and cool breezes, but I can do that in the winter, now.

Old 07-29-2010, 09:04 AM

1,024 posts, read 2,748,035 times
Quote:
Yep, this is about it TB, and I'm with you this is much better than the south with the high humidity. The one negative to our summers though is they tend to drag on an on. When you get into September, and the leaves are changing elsewhere and we are still hitting the high 90s and 100,s, It gets a bit old. But then our fabulous winters are right around the corner.

Old 07-29-2010, 09:32 AM

9,601 posts, read 31,701,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcy1210 View Post
When I lived in the mountains of Colorado, the summers were really hot if the temps went into the upper 70's or lower 80's even though there was little humidity. Afternoon rains in July and August would cool the temps down 20+ degrees and it was uncomfortable to eat dinner outside or really, do anything outside. But, at night, you could sleep with the windows wide open and cool breezes coming in. It was wonderful sleeping weather.

Since I've been in Tucson for a couple of years, when the winter days get in the 40's, I'm freezing, and I don't mind the hot summer days. You get acclimated. I do miss being able to sleep with the windows open and cool breezes, but I can do that in the winter, now.
Absolutely, Marcy . . . our two months of bad stuff is nothing by comparison to our ten months of near perfect weather.

Old 07-29-2010, 09:49 AM

33 posts, read 106,622 times
I'm in So Cal and it's SO cold and murky this summer!! I hate it! We've been coming out to the River (Laughlin/Bullhead) every weekend to boat and get some sun. I think it's a mild summer every where this year. But I also think it'll be hotter than a witches tit this fall....fire season for me in the So Cal Canyons!

Old 07-29-2010, 10:07 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,330,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmergrl View Post
I'm in So Cal and it's SO cold and murky this summer!! I hate it! We've been coming out to the River (Laughlin/Bullhead) every weekend to boat and get some sun. I think it's a mild summer every where this year.
Not "everywhere" - the East Coast has been sweltering - but certainly in the West. Until just recently it's been really chilly up here in Seattle as well. We had the latest "first 70 degree day" and the latest "first 75 degree day" on record up here. Similar story out of Portland etc.

Ken

Old 07-29-2010, 10:09 AM

33 posts, read 106,622 times
Sorry! You're right, of course! This is NOT everywhere! I have been in CA too long.... we think we're the center of all humanity! ARGH!! I feel so filthy....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson