Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2010, 05:58 PM

911 posts, read 2,144,931 times

Advertisements

Hello, could you tell me anything about the area between the university of arizona and i10? north of 6th street, south of speedway. i have a family with small children and was wondering about moving to this neighborhood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2010, 07:01 PM

100 posts, read 326,950 times
I would personally never want to live in that area, but everyone is different. It certainly isn't the greatest area in town. Kind of dumpy, but there might be small pockets of decent communities. I'm guessing the crime rate is probably high in that area, but I'm not sure.

Old 07-29-2010, 08:35 PM

Ok.. Just checking! Where would be closeby nice areas I could consider? We are looking at renting for under 1600$/mo

Old 07-29-2010, 08:46 PM

9,593 posts, read 31,560,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by famlife View Post
Ok.. Just checking! Where would be closeby nice areas I could consider? We are looking at renting for under 1600$/mo
I'm with M.A. on this one, Famlife . . . you can do better. For $1600 a month, you definitely can do lots better.

Exactly what are you looking for . . . must haves, etc?

Old 07-31-2010, 07:56 AM

Well, I'd like to be within 15 minutes or so from the area I described, but I need it to be safe and clean. We are not opposed to residential suites. Ideally, I'd like to find a small, safe pocket of town with a community feel. Any ideas? I'm not sure if Tucson has exactly what I'm looking for. If not, any suggestions are appreciated. I'd prefer not to live in suburbia if there are reasonable areas in town.

Old 08-04-2010, 01:17 AM

7 posts, read 22,055 times
Generally, West and South of the University is where the students rent, and East and North is where the professors live. I wouldn't go North if it were south of Campbell ( i had a friend recently move from there due to two break ins in a year).

You should look at the Sam Hughes or Blenman neighborhood and the surrounding areas to the east and north of the UA (East of Campbell, North of Broadway, South of Glenn, and West of Country Club). You will find a nice park and library with programs at Himmel Park, and there are some very good community schools and Parks and Rec activities in and around this central area of town that will keep the kids busy. There is a lot more diversity (in shopping, schools, restaurants, art & culture, architecture, events) living in the central parts of town, and despite the higher density leading to more chance for crime, i find it preferable to living in a sea of stucco boxes in the master planned communities.

with a rental budget of $1600, you can find a nice home most likely with wood floors, historic details, mature vegetation and plenty of room for your family. Good Luck!

Old 08-04-2010, 04:05 PM

Thanks so much! I'll definitely take a look on google maps and in person when we come out. It may be in just a couple weeks, or it could take till the end of September. The homes you describe sound right up our alley.. Hopefully we can find a nice home that's been kept up with and updated. I have nothing against the newer homes, I actually prefer them most the time but I just am not crazy about being stuck out in box store land.

Old 08-08-2010, 05:06 PM

53 posts, read 109,267 times
I lived in the Sam Hughes neighborhood and as a single middle-aged person decided I was looking for a different experience. I am with Lorieintucson who gave you excellent advice. Also, contact the Ward6 office which is the Councilperson's office for that area. They will be coy about advising you on choices, but can give you some excellent advice on resources. Another good place to start is a local organization called Pro-Neighborhoods. It is a non-profit that provides funding to all the various neighborhoods pretty much within Mid-town to keep healthy, safe, neighborhoods for everyone as these neighborhoods define themselves. If you understand their definitions, then life will be great, if not, I found myself somewhat out-of-sync with the area. I am accustomed to more privacy than I found there. So, if you are very much into being social within your neighborhood, there are many options.

Be safe and well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson