Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2010, 11:59 AM

2 posts, read 4,124 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I've searched the forums and not really found an answer, so I just want to say thank you well in advance for anyone who helps me out with this. I've also checked several apartment rating and review sites and still can't seem to get a god answer so I'm trying here.

My partner and I are moving from Nor Cal to Tucson. We're both in our early 30s, no kids. He is going to work at NSO (950 N. Cherry Avenue) and I'm going to finish my PhD dissertation. We are looking for a quiet, nice apt complex and are thinking about either Summit Vista (4701 W. Linda Vista Blvd 85742), or Retreat at Speedway (7401 E Speedway). We are more used to 2 types of CA commute, first freeway hell in LA, and then local and pedestrian/Public transport in Nor Cal.

Does anyone live in these areas and/or commute to the U of Az area? Are the commutes awful or not-so-bad?

Finally, if you have time and are inclined to answer - Have you like living in either of these places or would you want to move to one of these? Are these apt buildings in relatively "nice" "safe" areas? I see they are near parks, but are the parks safe for running in?

I ask this not to start a war over crime and safety -I live in an area with a high crime/drug problem, and we've lived in sketchier parts of LA when we were younger - but we'd like to avoid an area where we would have to worry constantly about our cars being broken into (LA) and where you could walk to things to do (running in parks, walk to grocery store, maybe a local restaurant? Something other than Applebees...).

Again, many thanks for reading - and if no one replies that's fine too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2010, 09:05 PM

45 posts, read 184,674 times
Summit Vista is pretty far out though you might be able to use the highway (not sure). The Retreat would be a local commute all the way which is probably less than LA traffic but a bit annoying nonetheless. Both I think are pretty far. Neither are walkable neighborhoods, those are not to common in Tucson, at least not in the northern part. The neighborhood that's like that is the West University/ Fourth Avenue area, which is much closer to cherry avenue than either of those apartments. but lacks a major walkable grocery store. There is a co-op on fourth avenue called the Food Conspiracy. You might be able to rent a nice house in the neighborhood.

Old 09-01-2010, 11:28 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,162,128 times
The Retreat is in a reasonably safe area. Last time I was looking for an apartment I kind of regretted it wasn't finished yet. It's fairly new, unlike many Tucson apartments. This has good points and bad points... It's probably not worn-out, but the walls are likely paper-thin. I recall reading some negative reviews about it, but I think they were parking-related and/or management-related. Management changes very often, so many reviews become irrelevant when it happens. I've never been there, but the parking lot does look quite tight from the street. If you like longish walks, there are some businesses and restaurants within walkable distance. Last few days I noticed Guadalajara Grill - Welcome to Guadalajara Grill Tucson! - is opening an Eastside location: on Kolb, between Speedway & Broadway. It's much closer to Speedway. There's also a movie theater there, as well as a coffee/pizza shop and a Wal-Mart, Lowe's, and various other small businesses. There's also a strip mall on Speedway, East of the complex, not very far. Tuesday Morning (discount household items) is in that strip mall. There's a big shopping center with a grocery store at Speedway & Pantano, but that's quite a walk carrying groceries...

To make the long story short, yes, you can walk to many places, but it's not a true walkable neighborhood as in other cities...

Old 09-01-2010, 03:56 PM

2 posts, read 4,124 times
Thanks for all the input - this is very helpful!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson