Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2010, 04:23 PM

7 posts, read 24,741 times

Advertisements

We're planning to move to Tucson summer of 2011. We have 3 kids, a dog and a cat.

The dog is big and I don't have any worries about him. He'll be in either a fenced yard on a leash when outside. My concern is our cat. Here in Ohio he's an indoor/outdoor cat. He pretty much comes and goes as he pleases. He would be absolutely miserable as an indoor cat.

The things I've read have said small pets should not be outside. When we move should we find a home for him? It would break my kid's hearts but I'd prefer this to something happening to him when we move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2010, 07:06 PM

100 posts, read 328,670 times
Well, your cat will most likely end up as dinner for a coyote unless it hangs around very close to your home. Or, the sicko kids around will get a hold of it and torment it. Sadly, it happens a lot around here.

Old 09-18-2010, 07:21 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,692,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaD88 View Post
We're planning to move to Tucson summer of 2011. We have 3 kids, a dog and a cat.

The dog is big and I don't have any worries about him. He'll be in either a fenced yard on a leash when outside. My concern is our cat. Here in Ohio he's an indoor/outdoor cat. He pretty much comes and goes as he pleases. He would be absolutely miserable as an indoor cat.

The things I've read have said small pets should not be outside. When we move should we find a home for him? It would break my kid's hearts but I'd prefer this to something happening to him when we move.
What is your idea of an "outdoor" cat, Lisa? There are variable degrees of what you have been told. Also, where are you planning to live in the Tucson area?

Although not the safest, I have neighbors with cats that are allowed to roam around during the day but are always brought inside after dark. Other neighbors never allow their cats outside except on a secured patio.

Old 09-18-2010, 09:54 PM

6,224 posts, read 6,611,349 times
Don't leave your cat outside in Tucson EVER! Our vet says their lifespan is a yr or so if outdoors here. Everyone agrees about coyotes, kids hurting animals, etc. There's just too many problems to even consider it. I have a cat we caught on patio last yr, that was a stray, & we keep her indoors safe from other cats now. Please don't even think of letting your baby kitty out. I guarante it is not worth it if you love your cat as we do ours.

Old 09-18-2010, 09:58 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,659,971 times
My current cat was an outdoor cat for his first year or so. When I moved to my new home, I built a "catio" in the back for him. He adjusted very well to the new arrangement. He comes in the cat door to the catio and moves freely between in and out. Most every indoor/outdoor cat in the neighborhood has been snatched by coyotes or hawks in the last two years. Terrible to hear the scream of a domestic housecat snatched by a coyote. My current cat at the old house had two coyotes corner him but he made it to the open door first. He had a bobcat chase him for 30 minutes in the open field behind the desert. Another time a red tailed hawk flew into the freshly washed patio door trying to snatch him while he sat inside looking out. If you want to keep him, don't let him roam free. my honest opinion based on experience. If you let him run free, one day he just won't come back.

Old 09-19-2010, 12:18 AM

4,922 posts, read 8,570,883 times
I have a Yorkshire Terrier and I won't let her outside on the balcony unless I'm with her. The hawks would have a feast on her. We have a neighbor who has had a succession of outdoor cats. She'll get a kitten, and when it's adult size let it out, and within days, literally, it's gone. Then she gets another and starts all over again. Hawks, owls, coyotes, mountain lion, cars, snakes, it's dangerous for cats outdoors. Small dogs, too. Not to mention, for people who love songbirds, a cat at the bird feeder or bird bath is an invitation to shoot it. I have a wimpy little CO² powered BB hand gun, but if you're a cat who's butt I just hit, it's not so wimpy!

Last edited by Marcy1210; 09-19-2010 at 12:19 AM.. Reason: Added content

Old 09-19-2010, 12:52 AM

4,374 posts, read 11,226,273 times
I have heard there is something called 'cat fencing' and you can make a safe area with it for your cat. I'm sure he or she will adjust to that.

Old 09-19-2010, 07:10 AM

7 posts, read 24,741 times
Thanks for all the info.

Our cat generally stays out about 75% of the day, sometimes overnight. He generally sticks to the vicinity around our house.

Right now we're leaning toward finding a home for him before we move. I think my MIL would be willing to take him. He's a really neat cat (all black, a polydactyl) so it is going to be really hard to leave him. But we'd rather him be safe and happy here in Ohio, rather than die in Tucson.

Old 09-19-2010, 09:57 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,147,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcy1210 View Post
I have a Yorkshire Terrier and I won't let her outside on the balcony unless I'm with her. The hawks would have a feast on her. We have a neighbor who has had a succession of outdoor cats. She'll get a kitten, and when it's adult size let it out, and within days, literally, it's gone. Then she gets another and starts all over again.
Wow, that's some animal lover! Does she do the same with people?

Old 09-19-2010, 10:11 AM

9,601 posts, read 31,692,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Wow, that's some animal lover! Does she do the same with people?
GO TO YOUR ROOM, Sierra!

! ! ! ! ! !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
View detailed profiles of: