Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2010, 09:15 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,150,679 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
The way you posted the question, no one with a negative opinion would bother to answer. Clearly, you were simply asking to have your best hopes confirmed. How does that actually help you?
Actually, her first post was expressing her own negative view, IMHO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2010, 10:05 AM

1,433 posts, read 2,981,966 times
Quote:
The way you posted the question, no one with a negative opinion would bother to answer. Clearly, you were simply asking to have your best hopes confirmed. How does that actually help you?
Exactly. The OP has clearly stated previous posts were read and already knows the pro's & con's.

Old 11-27-2010, 11:54 AM

9,601 posts, read 31,695,251 times
Quote:
Unfortunately, Jukesgrrl . . . nowadays people are quick to "bi?ch" but rarely, if ever, find time to compliment.

Old 11-27-2010, 11:11 PM

4,922 posts, read 8,571,496 times
Several years ago, we bought a condo in Oro Valley so we could be "snowbirds", while living in the deep mountains of Colorado. Circumstances changed drastically a year ago, and the house in CO was sold and I'm now living in our condo full time. After 35 years in a 7000 person county (not town, county), at 9000' and very rural (nearest small town over 1/2 hour away), Tucson/Oro Valley is the opposite end of the spectrum, but I absolutely love it. I love the mild winters, the trees being green all year round, outdoor activities all year, gardening all year, the parks, the hiking, the mountains--albeit I was IN the highest Rockies in CO, the Catalinas are differently beautiful. The cost of living is more affordable here, and we have every store one could really want or need. Those we don't have, Phoenix does. People are nice, laid back and most are transplants, so your neighbors are somewhat in the same boat as you. This is definitely NOT a four season, lush, green town. It's a desert, so it's dusty at times, dry, hot in summer both day and night, (you do acclimate--typical high summer temp where I lived in CO was 70º--that's a warm winter day here), mild in winter (days 60's with 30's to 40's at night), little rain, no snow, few bugs, some creepy crawlies, but all in all a beautiful part of the country if you're the desert type.

As for the naysayers, most either had too high expectations to begin with, stars in their eyes, or were so attached to a vastly different climate and landscape, that they whined until they could move "back home". You have to be very careful making a drastic move to anyplace opposite of what you're accustomed to, so like the others said, visit first, make your choice with a lot of thought and consideration, and make sure Tucson is what you can live with.

As for medical care, we have some of the best doctors and hospitals in the nation here, schools are okay in TUSD, better in Oro Valley, Vail and Sahuarita, but all in all, they're not bad. Just keep the Boy Scout motto in mind: Be Prepared....and you'll be fine.

Old 11-28-2010, 08:22 AM

10 posts, read 21,272 times
I just moved from Tucson after 16 years there and found it a fascinating place. Whether you enjoy it or not depends on what you like to do. If you can get into the nature and the ethnic diversity of the area, you will find much to love. Catalina Foothills is in a beautiful area--as the name implies, it's at the base of the Catalina Mountains. Make sure you check out the parks (Catalina State Park and Sabino Canyon are two that are close to you), Mount Lemmon (the top of the Catalinas--pine forest, southernmost ski resort in the USA); and also the Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum (a zoo devoted to creatures and plants of the desert). If you are more into culture, you will have to work harder. Tucson has good galleries, a pretty good museum, some good restaurants. Phoenix, about two hours away, will have more of those things...and in five/six hours on the road you can get to San Diego/Los Angeles! This is for that time in the summer when you think it's never going to end. I don't know where you're moving from, but compared to most places Tucson at first seems kind of barren--don't let that put you off. You will adjust to its landscape and seasons and will grow to love its unique beauty...

Old 11-28-2010, 09:09 AM

55 posts, read 216,029 times
Quote:
Jukesgirl...I have read many negatives things (but, feel free to chime in on what you don't like) so wanted to hear from those people who were happy living in Tucson and what they liked about it.

Old 11-28-2010, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcy1210 View Post
Several years ago, we bought a condo in Oro Valley so we could be "snowbirds", while living in the deep mountains of Colorado. Circumstances changed drastically a year ago, and the house in CO was sold and I'm now living in our condo full time. After 35 years in a 7000 person county (not town, county), at 9000' and very rural (nearest small town over 1/2 hour away), Tucson/Oro Valley is the opposite end of the spectrum, but I absolutely love it. I love the mild winters, the trees being green all year round, outdoor activities all year, gardening all year, the parks, the hiking, the mountains--albeit I was IN the highest Rockies in CO, the Catalinas are differently beautiful. The cost of living is more affordable here, and we have every store one could really want or need. Those we don't have, Phoenix does. People are nice, laid back and most are transplants, so your neighbors are somewhat in the same boat as you. This is definitely NOT a four season, lush, green town. It's a desert, so it's dusty at times, dry, hot in summer both day and night, (you do acclimate--typical high summer temp where I lived in CO was 70º--that's a warm winter day here), mild in winter (days 60's with 30's to 40's at night), little rain, no snow, few bugs, some creepy crawlies, but all in all a beautiful part of the country if you're the desert type.

As for the naysayers, most either had too high expectations to begin with, stars in their eyes, or were so attached to a vastly different climate and landscape, that they whined until they could move "back home". You have to be very careful making a drastic move to anyplace opposite of what you're accustomed to, so like the others said, visit first, make your choice with a lot of thought and consideration, and make sure Tucson is what you can live with.

As for medical care, we have some of the best doctors and hospitals in the nation here, schools are okay in TUSD, better in Oro Valley, Vail and Sahuarita, but all in all, they're not bad. Just keep the Boy Scout motto in mind: Be Prepared....and you'll be fine.
What a well-written reply. Thank you. I'm a native from Tulsa, OK and the summers of 95+ with thick humidity makes it quite uncomfortable 4 months out of the year. Not to mention the flies and mosquitos swarming you when outdoors.

I do like the fact that there are a lot transplants. Here in Tulsa, most are native and very few newcomers to the area. Sometimes, making it difficult to meet new people.

I appreciate your input Marcy.

Old 11-28-2010, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
Unfortunately, Jukesgrrl . . . nowadays people are quick to "bi?ch" but rarely, if ever, find time to compliment.
Yes, exactly...

Old 11-28-2010, 09:41 AM

9,601 posts, read 31,695,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLambert View Post
Yes, exactly...
Kinda sad, isn't it?

Old 11-28-2010, 12:08 PM

1,024 posts, read 2,747,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLambert View Post
What a well-written reply. Thank you. I'm a native from Tulsa, OK and the summers of 95+ with thick humidity makes it quite uncomfortable 4 months out of the year. Not to mention the flies and mosquitos swarming you when outdoors.

I do like the fact that there are a lot transplants. Here in Tulsa, most are native and very few newcomers to the area. Sometimes, making it difficult to meet new people.

I appreciate your input Marcy.
I have lived in Tulsa and Tucson, as for enduring the weather, will GLADLY take Tucson summers over Tulsa winters, will take Tucson summers over Tulsa summers also. (can't remeber the last time I even had a mosquito bite, probably when I was in Tulsa!) If you enjoy outdoor activities there is absolutly no comparson, Tucson wins. Any outdoor acitivty you enjoy you can pretty much do year round here, you just adjust what time of day you go out. I actually tend to play more golf durring the summer months, easier to get tee times, cost less, and play is faster. So will it be mosquitoes or will it be margarita's this next summer, your choice!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson