Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2007, 10:43 AM

18 posts, read 169,470 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I've been reading various threads on here, and it seems like there are a variety of opinions, so I'm hoping to get a few different points of view. Most of the threads that might help me seem geared toward families or college kids, of which I am neither.

I am looking to move to Tucson (from MN) in Sept. I'm having some hestitation as I see more and more negative things, but I have visited there so I do know I basically like it. I have been looking at apartments online and wondering if anyone has some feedback to offer on The Arboretum, The Village at Tangue Verde, Villas at Montebella, or Tierra Rica.

Or other suggestions? I'm a 25yr, female looking for a single apartment. Trying to keep it under $700. Not too picky, but I want something safe/nice since I'm on my own. I also have 2 motorcycles, so a garage would be sweet (tho seems uncommon), or at least a safe neighborhood.

Thanks for any tips anyone has to offer!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2007, 04:08 PM

218 posts, read 1,486,877 times
Garages are sort of a rarity in apartment living in Arizona.

There are a few offering single garages on Oracle Road up along the far north end, between Magee Road and Tangerine Road (mostly around Oracle Rd. and 1st Ave. around Pusche Ridge area) - Very nice area - but from the specific places you're stating, sounds like you're needing to live more along the eastside of town.

You will certainly want to secure your motorcycles no matter what part of town you are in. Tucson has a very high vehicular theft rate - four or two wheeled, the thieves don't seem to care. It's the downside of being an hour from the border, I'm afraid. Lock. Lock. Lock. Thieves are lazy & there's plenty of folks that make it easy for them and don't secure their 'wheels'.

Regardless, enjoy your new Tucson life. We are enjoying the experience some eight years now. Beautiful place, and certainly not Heaven, but no place on this earth is, REALLY - is it?!

I have certainly never seen or heard any terrible news stories regarding any of the places you mentioned. Have you actually been on-site and visited each of these complexes? That's the real test. What's the first impression you get, when you meet the management staff? Is the place relatively clean?

Oh - No matter where you live, be sure to get renter's insurance. Your car insurance agent can probably provide you with that policy too - maybe at a discount, for 'multi-policy' coverage?! That way, if your neighbor has a kitchen fire & the smoke damages your stuff - you're not screwed.

Welcome to Tucson! I hope your apt. has a great pool/hot tub & that you enjoy it every chance you get!

Old 07-12-2007, 12:11 AM

1,463 posts, read 6,220,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilBlue View Post
Hi,
I've been reading various threads on here, and it seems like there are a variety of opinions, so I'm hoping to get a few different points of view. Most of the threads that might help me seem geared toward families or college kids, of which I am neither.

I am looking to move to Tucson (from MN) in Sept. I'm having some hestitation as I see more and more negative things, but I have visited there so I do know I basically like it. I have been looking at apartments online and wondering if anyone has some feedback to offer on The Arboretum, The Village at Tangue Verde, Villas at Montebella, or Tierra Rica.

Or other suggestions? I'm a 25yr, female looking for a single apartment. Trying to keep it under $700. Not too picky, but I want something safe/nice since I'm on my own. I also have 2 motorcycles, so a garage would be sweet (tho seems uncommon), or at least a safe neighborhood.

With 2 motorcycles and all that good weather and pavement your definitely gonna have a good time..

Old 07-12-2007, 06:54 AM

216 posts, read 829,175 times
Hi Zippy-

Tucson's great, isn't it? I live in NY but my 25 yo daughter lives in Tucson. She's a grad student at U/A and she lives in the arboretum.

It's very nice there; I felt very comfortable seeing her in that part of town. Crime is much lower there. It is gated - although usually only closed at night.

Her apartment is very nice. I believe you can get a 1 bedroom for under $700 there. I think they had 2 or 3 different 1br models; price varied according to total sq. footage. Each unit comes with an assigned, covered parking spot. I'm not sure about 2 motorcycles; if they aren't huge you could probably fit both of them into one spot.

She is moving in a week or so to an apartment closer to the university. The reason? although she loves the beauty of the area in the foothills, and the safety of the area, the drive to her classes was too much. It can take 30-45 minutes each way.

If you do end up at the arboretum, think about renting on the upper floor. She has a balcony, with a mountain view; and less bugs than the downstairs neighbors. Also, keep in mind that at the arboretum the temperature controls are inside the apartment. In other developments, the landlord decides when and how much A/C to supply.

Old 07-12-2007, 06:58 AM

216 posts, read 829,175 times
Sorry , that previous reply should have been to directed to LilBlue.

mse

Old 07-12-2007, 10:22 AM

1,028 posts, read 2,337,973 times
You can try the west side, Stargate West and/or the apts by Starpass.

Also, you can try a number of apts along Campbell between Grant and River.

Most of them are under $700.

PM me if you're interested in some young professional organizations to meet some people...

Old 07-13-2007, 11:54 PM

30 posts, read 138,901 times
Quote:

I have something to say about this.
I was an apartment renter until early this year, when my husband and I finally bought our new house. We lived at our apartment complex for 11 years before moving out. Just before leaving, they got new management. I can't endorse the complex, but I won't trash it either. Instead, I can give you a link to search through the apartment complexes and read what present and former tenants have to say about their apartment complexes.

Go to apartmentratings dot com and look in the Tucson, Oro Valley or Marana area, or whichever area in Az you decide you want to live.
Best of luck to you, and welcome!

** I just tried that address and now it isn't working. I hope it is just my computer. Let me know if you need me to send a link to you. I would cut and paste it here, put I don;t think I am allowed to (??)

Last edited by janelandbob; 07-13-2007 at 11:59 PM.. Reason: updated info about web address given

Old 07-16-2007, 10:01 PM

2 posts, read 6,681 times
you can find some places online but those that you mentioned are pretty reliable and safe. you want to stay away from the SE side and stay in the NE section of Tucson. I think you will be happy there. prices are a little higher, not by much but you pay for what you get.
good luck!

Old 07-16-2007, 10:21 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,690,674 times
Quote:
Hi, Or other suggestions? I'm a 25yr, female looking for a single apartment. Trying to keep it under $700. Not too picky, but I want something safe/nice since I'm on my own. I also have 2 motorcycles, so a garage would be sweet (tho seems uncommon), or at least a safe neighborhood.

Welcome to Tucson and Good Luck, LilBlue

I missed input on what part of town you plan to be working, assuming you are among the working class.

Tucson is a great place to live with near perfect weather but commuting can be a bear. I live on the Northwest and would rather eat bugs than to commute to the Eastside every day.

As far as a garage for the motorcycles is concerned . . . for security and peace of mind until you find exactly what you are looking for, consider renting a storage unit. I know I would.

Once again, Good Luck!

Old 07-17-2007, 07:28 AM

18 posts, read 169,470 times
Thanks for all the tips! Good to know I'm looking in the right direction as far as decent housing. And yes, I was thinking a storage unit may just be the best way as far as the security of my bikes.

I plan on finding a job once I get down there, so I can't really base my living location on my workplace location yet. For more employment opportunities (editing/publishing/creative/media) and such, I am also still considering Phoenix and Austin (totally different, I know!). Perhaps kind of silly, but I am moving just to get away from Minnesota winters, so there is nothing tying me down and I can be pretty flexible with my choices until the last minute when I need a route to where I'm going! I've got friends I can bunk with in PHX until I find a job and then a nearby place to live, but in TUS and AUS I would just randomly have to find a place to live first and hope my commute won't be overly absurd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson