U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2007, 09:15 PM

1,357 posts, read 3,691,136 times

Advertisements

I'm helping a friend move, and need a place to stay. I saw two possible hotels: (1) a Best Western near the University/I-10, (2) a Ramada up in the foothills. I would think (2) is safer, but would (1) be in "South Tuscon" ? At least it's east of I-10.

More specfically, it is a safe bet to find a hotel east of I-10 and north of the University ? I don't know where the bad areas are. And don't want have to drive forever to get back to the airport.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2007, 09:30 PM

16,036 posts, read 13,978,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRMan View Post
I'm helping a friend move, and need a place to stay. I saw two possible hotels: (1) a Best Western near the University/I-10, (2) a Ramada up in the foothills. I would think (2) is safer, but would (1) be in "South Tuscon" ? At least it's east of I-10.

More specfically, it is a safe bet to find a hotel east of I-10 and north of the University ? I don't know where the bad areas are. And don't want have to drive forever to get back to the airport.
I think we stayed in the Best Western (Best Western Royal Sun - just off Speedway) you mention back in January while on our property search in theTucson area. It was "OK". The area was not the greatest, but we never felt unsafe - even walking up the road in the evening to the nearby convenience store. I would think the Ramada up in the foothills would be a better (nicer) place.

Ken

FYI: The wireless internet at the Best Western was very unreliable and sloooooooooooooow (one of the reasons I'd stay elsewhere). Returning to Tucson again in 2 weeks but staying in a condo we rented through VRBO.COM - and it will be MUCH cheaper (as well as nicer - I hope).

Old 07-13-2007, 09:18 AM

70 posts, read 376,673 times
Quote:

Who told you South Tucson was an unsafe area? There is nothing wrong with South Tucson. Hope this helps.

Old 07-13-2007, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbiceps View Post
Who told you South Tucson was an unsafe area? There is nothing wrong with South Tucson. Hope this helps.
Just comments I've seen. And since you asked, I have a question for you: what are the areas of Tucson to avoid ?

Old 07-13-2007, 09:19 PM

70 posts, read 376,673 times
Quote:
Just comments I've seen. And since you asked, I have a question for you: what are the areas of Tucson to avoid ?
I guess it comes down to what do you want to avoid? It's actually amazing how places that can become rundown with petty drug dealers and prostitutes are located in places where one is almost forced to drive through. The Miracle Mile Strip, Drachman and North Oracle even Stone from speedway to drachman are areas with alot of traffic but seem to still have some problems.

I wouldn't avoid those areas though since it is mostly commercial and there are many great businesses there and if you happen to run across a petty drug dealer/pimp or prostitute they are there to provide those services not to chase you around and murder you. If you are not looking for those services then there will be no problems, obviously.

There aren't any areas that can guarantee your safety of getting shot. On the news people get shot all over tucson it doesn't matter where. If people hang around with the wrong crowd and create enemies then people shoot each other (between themselves).

Old 07-13-2007, 10:26 PM

31 posts, read 82,143 times
Default by the airport

Quote:

I suggest you go to tripadvisor.com and type in 'tucson hotels, near airport'. That will give you lots of options. We stayed at the Baymont Inn and Suites in Green Valley (not fancy, but clean and quiet) and that's less than 25 minutes to the airport - mostly highway driving. There are a lot of new hotels really close to the airport, and it looks like a very safe area to me. I like looking at the forums on tripadvisor, priceline, expedia, etc. to see what other travelers say - it's how I always pick a hotel.

Hope this helps!

Old 07-14-2007, 02:41 AM

683 posts, read 1,780,826 times
I'm not sure how much you want to spend, but in the summer you can get great deals at some of the finest resorts in the world that are located here in Tucson. They have trouble filling their rooms this time of year.

Are you able to stay a couple days and enjoy a short stay? How much do you want to spend?

I wouldn't recomend the Best Western, that can be kind of a bad area of town. If you're looking for a nice place convenient to the airport, here's a couple places for you to look at. I like the Doubletree, it's a nice place.

Holiday Inn Tucson Hotels - Holiday Inn Hotel Reservations Tucson, AZ

Doubletree Hotel Tucson Arizona at Reid Park - Tucson AZ Hotels

Old 07-14-2007, 02:46 AM

683 posts, read 1,780,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ws_sisu View Post
I like looking at the forums on tripadvisor, priceline, expedia, etc. to see what other travelers say - it's how I always pick a hotel.
I like those sites too and I've had good results booking rooms in cities I've never visited. Travelocity is good too.
Has anyone used Priceline to book a room? I've always wondered if they really can get you the great deals like their ads say they can.

Old 07-14-2007, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyBaroo View Post
I'm not sure how much you want to spend, but in the summer you can get great deals at some of the finest resorts in the world that are located here in Tucson. They have trouble filling their rooms this time of year.

Are you able to stay a couple days and enjoy a short stay? How much do you want to spend?

I wouldn't recomend the Best Western, that can be kind of a bad area of town. If you're looking for a nice place convenient to the airport, here's a couple places for you to look at. I like the Doubletree, it's a nice place.

Holiday Inn Tucson Hotels - Holiday Inn Hotel Reservations Tucson, AZ

Doubletree Hotel Tucson Arizona at Reid Park - Tucson AZ Hotels
A few days. Fairly flexible on spending as long as it isn't an 1,000/night place.

Old 07-14-2007, 08:21 AM

83 posts, read 340,476 times
Try La Posada on Oracle. We stayed there numerous times when we were looking for a home in Tucson. Convenient, reasonably priced and a great free breakfast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson