Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 09:30 AM

486 posts, read 1,496,918 times

Advertisements

For the people of Tucson:
I am so sorry for this tragedy that has happened in your community. Very horrific for all those impacted but also for the entire community.

Though I live in Colorado, I have always loved Tucson and consider it near and dear to my heart. This tragedy has only strengthened my respect for Tucson - the acts of heroism from the local citizens, the response of law enforcement, and the top-rate care of the medical professionals, are all very admirable.

I read a lot of negative things about Tucson on this forum, and never enough about the positives. So I just wanted to express what I special place I think it is in light of the community's response to this terrible tragedy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2011, 10:49 AM

1 posts, read 1,262 times
Default News reports ...

It has been suggested that another individual might have been involved and yes given Giffords affiliations, as a member of a synagogue, there might be some concern of a hate crime (I am not sure that "race" is the category), but certainly partisan, cultural, and community-driven.

And no, I am not surprised at such an incident in Arizona with the inflammatory (and irresponsible) dribble coming from some corners which (in my view) DO NOT represent the heart of the Republican party -- only extremists who rally others with very ... unfortunate partisan rhetoric.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Do you know something we don't?

All the reports indicate the gunman acted alone.

It's a tragedy on many levels and as the story unfolds more details will certainly be forthcoming.

There are several that came to the aid and subdued the shooter... instead of fleeing. At this point no one has mentioned race being a factor.

Old 01-10-2011, 10:54 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,408,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinnamonswirl View Post
It has been suggested that another individual might have been involved

[mod cut - Please take the political comments and speculation about motivations, hate crimes, etc. to the P and OC forum. Thank you.
The only "other individual" that's been seriously mentioned as a "person of interest" turned out to be his cab driver. Given what they found in the shooter's house, it appears that this is a solo act, by someone who is likely schizophrenic. At this point, we'd be well served by waiting for more investigation of the act itself and the actions leading up to it, and not feeding speculation.

Old 01-10-2011, 12:35 PM

8,003 posts, read 11,722,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmel View Post
I am not surprised to see this information. As a nurse, and dealing with a schizophrenics on a one on one basis, his ramblings and repetition in his writings in his You-Tube videos are absolutely classic of a variety of schizoid-type behaviors. Absolutely CLASSIC! Judging from interviews with his neighbors, it's likely he's not the only one in the household with mental illness.

If you take someone with this "brain defect", feed their paranoid delusions, it is simple to get them to act upon them. He'll qualify for the insanity plea, you can bet on that. He is clearly paranoid and delusional. Unfortunately, he had someone on the side, again, reinforcing his delusions and using the kid as a pawn......helping them to realize THEIR delusions. Sick and horribly sad. Oh those poor victims.
Ahhhhhh so much for the insanity plea. According to a news interview I just saw, Arizona does not have a "not-guilty by reason of insanity" option. It was abolished. I still maintain, that I will not be the least bit surprised to find out that he's not the only one in the family with mental health issues. His speech and writings are simply not those of a 22 year old. He has been "parroting" someone else's speech....another common feature of many schizophrenics. So very sad that our legal system does not allow lawmakers to pick up and detain individuals, in order to evaluate them, unless they've done something extreme enough to land them in jail. So very sad.

Old 01-10-2011, 01:29 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,408,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmel View Post
Ahhhhhh so much for the insanity plea. According to a news interview I just saw, Arizona does not have a "not-guilty by reason of insanity" option. It was abolished. I still maintain, that I will not be the least bit surprised to find out that he's not the only one in the family with mental health issues. His speech and writings are simply not those of a 22 year old. He has been "parroting" someone else's speech....another common feature of many schizophrenics. So very sad that our legal system does not allow lawmakers to pick up and detain individuals, in order to evaluate them, unless they've done something extreme enough to land them in jail. So very sad.
Remember he is presently charged under FEDERAL law, state charges have not yet been filed but will be. Whether there is such a plea under federal law, I don't know, but Arizona law would not apply to the federal charges.

Old 01-10-2011, 02:20 PM

8,003 posts, read 11,722,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
Remember he is presently charged under FEDERAL law, state charges have not yet been filed but will be. Whether there is such a plea under federal law, I don't know, but Arizona law would not apply to the federal charges.
Observer,
Aren't they pushing to charge him state level? I understand that his attack affected federal employess, but isn't the state fighting for the opportunity to try him as well? My heart goes out to everyone in this situation. Imagine all the What is I'd just.....> Why didn't someone just.....? going on out there. Many of us have similar situations we can relate this to, situations where the law couldn't step in until the person actually physically harmed someone or their posessions. Ugh...

Old 01-10-2011, 02:49 PM

26 posts, read 95,650 times
I strongly suspect he will be charged and tried on both a Federal & State level.

Old 01-10-2011, 02:56 PM

26 posts, read 95,650 times
I am sincerely sorry for the loss your community as suffered.

Old 01-10-2011, 02:58 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,712,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlobalTrader View Post
Angry white men and guns.
Correction, more like MENTALLY ILL men and guns.

My heart goes out to all of you there in Arizona.

Old 01-10-2011, 02:59 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,712,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BNDO View Post
I strongly suspect he will be charged and tried on both a Federal & State level.
Somehow I doubt he'll be found competant to stand trial
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson