Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2011, 09:29 PM

220 posts, read 410,934 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnK78 View Post
The Sheriff needs to retire and keep his opinions to himself when on national tv or when he is representing our community. Freedom of speech I understand but have some respect for all the people of Tucson. It is annoying to see this in the light of what happened here but not something that I wouldn't expect from him.
Sheriff Dupnik is stating his opinion. He is a close friend of Gabby Giffords.

Rep Giffords was under attack by the local Tea Party. Was her office vandalized after the Health Care Bill? Who do you think did that?

Sheriff Dupnik is pointing out the hard to accept truth that the political climate in Arizona is toxic right now.

Some one has to say it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2011, 09:54 PM

4,922 posts, read 8,551,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike b 1 View Post
I think Dumbnick is loosing his mind. If not, then he's just a shameless liberal..Taking advantage of a tragedy..
Have you never been angry and said things in the heat of the moment? He lost one of his closest friends, Judge Roll, and almost lost another close friend, Rep. Giffords. He's was angry, fed-up and frustrated.

So what if he's a shameless liberal? So was Rep. Giffords. You sound like a shameless conservative. You're equal.

I am not definding much of what the Sheriff says in particular, what I am defending is Arizona. If you don't know people in other states, and don't talk to them, then you have no idea how afraid many people are of our state. And if "Dumbnick" can say things that ease the fear some people have with regard to visitng here, then I say good. But our reputation is being trashed, and in the eyes of the U.S., it's the conservatives that give this state a bad name. Our gun laws are hated by most Americans. Our immigration policies are hated by most Americans. To many people outside of Arizona, our governor is a joke, and our border security is a joke. That's not how I feel, that's how America feels towards us.

That attitude of disgust for Arizona is going to translate to less industry wanting to be in S. Arizona, less tourism, less income for the area. Between the loss of Spring Training and the failure of Rio Nuevo, our useless mayor and city council, Tucson is becoming a wasteland. This shooting most certainly doesn't help promote Tucson as a safe, friendly city to invest in. So, if the Sheriff puts some fears to rest, good. Anything that helps Tucson in the long run is a good thing. Right now, in the eyes of people who don't live here, Tucson has nothing going for it. If this city is to ever thrive again, there have to be huge changes that take place.

Old 01-11-2011, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimballette View Post
I see. So a schizophrenic used the word "assassination," so that makes his actions political. Mmmm hmmm...
Who said he was definitely a schizophrenic? No one. Nut job? Yes. Whacko? Yes. But no one has given him any sort of medical diagnosis yet.

That's for the shrinks in Phoenix to do as part of his trial. The papers in his handwriting found in parent's safe make a convincing argument for his actions being politically motivated.

Old 01-11-2011, 10:08 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,280,653 times
Marcy1210, I'm in complete agreement with you and Sheriff Dupnik. I tried to rate you, but apparently I did before.

PS: Why do conservatives so often spell "losing" (as in losing one's mind) as "loosing"? The mind is not loose, it is lost (as in lose, which is what we are all doing as Tucson's reputation goes down the drain nationwide).

Old 01-11-2011, 11:22 PM

Reposting [mod cut-- do not discuss moderation in the forums] [mod interpose: with the link only:]

Who is Jared Loughner? Friends Reveal Alienation - CBS News

Last edited by observer53; 01-13-2011 at 04:54 PM..

Old 01-11-2011, 11:50 PM

17,915 posts, read 43,311,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcy1210 View Post
The papers in his parents' safe said, "Assassination. Giffords." Assassination used in conjunction with a member of Congress (which is political) usually ends up being a political action. Assassination is a deliberate act, aimed at a particular person, in this case a member of a political party, therefore it's politically motivated. It has also been deemed by many investigators involved as being pre-meditated.
"Usually" is your key word here. Let's wait for some FACTS.

The premeditated murder (or attempted murder) of a "member of a political party" is NOT by definition an assassination, or "politically motivated". We'd have plenty more of them if that were the standard. For a member of Congress, assassination may be an appropriate term to use. But, as the poster below indicates, John Hinckley was not "politically motivated" to shoot President Reagan. When you are dealing with a seriously unbalanced person, you can't jump to the usual conclusion.

This man was, and is, clearly mentally ill. What his thought process was, or is, is pretty seriously in question, still. His motivation may simply be his conclusion in 2007, voiced to others, that she was "stupid" (when she tried to answer what was described by others as a nonsensical question.) We don't KNOW his motivation now, we may never completely understand it. For anyone to say that they "know" it was politically motivated is, at best, very premature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybones View Post
President Reagan was a member of a political party, that means Hinkley shooting him was politically motivated as well? Just because it was pre-meditated does not mean it is politically motivated. Loughner and Hickley are both poster children of mental illness.

It would be wise to wait to get the rest of the story before jumping to conclusions.
Well put.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grannysroost View Post
He was anti-government, currency...he chose her and came out with killing a federal judge, some of her staff, wounding her, and a bunch of other people, then the families, then the bystanders who witnessed, and our whole state....what is there not to understand...
If you are agreeing with Marcy that it's politically motivated, I'll just say my response to you is the same as to her. And add, Judge Roll was not killed because he was a federal judge (Loughner may well escape the death penalty on the federal charge as a result). I don't know if he knew who Mr. Zimmerman or Mr. Barber or Ms. Simon were, either. He fired off as many bullets as he could get to. The man is crazy. His motivations for this specific act, despite his disjointed ramblings (now reported to include a fourth note, "Die b---h") are quite simply unknown.

Old 01-12-2011, 12:04 AM

593 posts, read 887,713 times
I was moved by how well Mr Dupnik articulated his statements being cautious not to delve too deeply into his own opinions. He was asked for his opinion and simply made observations drawn from years of experience. It's difficult in a situation like this to tickle the ears of the broad spectum
of people. I really respect this man especially for warning politicians not to inflame people with
radically perceived intepretations and responses of what was said even distorting their meaning or
not allowing a politicians free speech. I wish we had more true public servants like Dupnik.

Das

Old 01-12-2011, 01:04 AM

38 posts, read 149,119 times
Sometimes bad people do bad things...

There are bad people in Arizona, there are bad people in Virginia, Texas, there are bad people everywhere. Just because something bad happens, people freak out, start making emotion based knee jerk reactions to it and want to change everything that was wrong, cause SOMETHING has to be wrong right? People dont just go out and kill for no reason do they?? ... Whos fault is it? The gun store's? The parents? The Psych?

The politicians use it to get face time to work their agenda, and not let a tragedy go to waste, and the media reports......apparently anything to get ratings up.

The nice blanket of society works pretty well 99% of the time, keeping us thinking that people are good natured, and we are all generally safe. This kinda thing happens every so often, and no matter what policies are in place, how many inanimate objects you ban, those bad people are still there, and will get crazy every now and again and shake some stuff up.

Emotion < Logic

Old 01-12-2011, 07:00 AM

22,974 posts, read 26,941,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcy1210 View Post
Have you never been angry and said things in the heat of the moment? He lost one of his closest friends, Judge Roll, and almost lost another close friend, Rep. Giffords. He's was angry, fed-up and frustrated.

So what if he's a shameless liberal? So was Rep. Giffords. You sound like a shameless conservative. You're equal.

I am not definding much of what the Sheriff says in particular, what I am defending is Arizona. If you don't know people in other states, and don't talk to them, then you have no idea how afraid many people are of our state. And if "Dumbnick" can say things that ease the fear some people have with regard to visitng here, then I say good. But our reputation is being trashed, and in the eyes of the U.S., it's the conservatives that give this state a bad name. Our gun laws are hated by most Americans. Our immigration policies are hated by most Americans. To many people outside of Arizona, our governor is a joke, and our border security is a joke. That's not how I feel, that's how America feels towards us.

That attitude of disgust for Arizona is going to translate to less industry wanting to be in S. Arizona, less tourism, less income for the area. Between the loss of Spring Training and the failure of Rio Nuevo, our useless mayor and city council, Tucson is becoming a wasteland. This shooting most certainly doesn't help promote Tucson as a safe, friendly city to invest in. So, if the Sheriff puts some fears to rest, good. Anything that helps Tucson in the long run is a good thing. Right now, in the eyes of people who don't live here, Tucson has nothing going for it. If this city is to ever thrive again, there have to be huge changes that take place.
I've absolutely said things in the heat of the moment that I regret. The difference is this supposed "law man" has kept it up every day since. So when does it stop being "in the heat of the moment" from a friend and step into commentary from a political pundit? I think we hit the pundit thing about 3 days ago.

The next question you've got to ask yourselves is why does this Sheriff feel the need to blame and point fingers at large group of others instead of the small group that is most likely responsible? This small group would be the actual shooter, his parents and certain friends who KNEW he was a loon and had to have some idea he was dangerous. It's not like a person wakes up one day and switches from a "normal" person to a shooting loon.

Old 01-12-2011, 07:06 AM

22,974 posts, read 26,941,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodneighbor1234 View Post
Sheriff Dupnik is stating his opinion. He is a close friend of Gabby Giffords.

Rep Giffords was under attack by the local Tea Party. Was her office vandalized after the Health Care Bill? Who do you think did that?

Sheriff Dupnik is pointing out the hard to accept truth that the political climate in Arizona is toxic right now.

Some one has to say it.
Is there any proof who in fact vandalized the office or is this just handy conjecture based on political affiliation?

How do we know the vandals weren't actually some of her followers whipping up emotions?
Answer: we don't, same as we don't know the motivation of this lunatic shooter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson