Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2011, 10:41 PM

2 posts, read 3,935 times

Advertisements

It is difficult to hold back the tears as I watch the news reports about the recent shooting. I see by the statistics that Tucson is a safe place to live by comparison to other U.S. cities. There were 35 murders in 2009.

Detroit has twice the population as Tucson but 10 times more murders, 365 in 2009. Six people get murdered there every week, sometimes including children. With a weekly opportunity, there is no minute of silence from congress concerning the victims in Detroit.

In the first 3 years of the 2nd Iraq war 2003-2006 we lost about 2,500 soldiers killed. There was much congressional bickering and political finger pointing at that time. Yet back here in the USA during that same 3 year period Americans murdered nearly 50,000 of their fellow Americans.

There was no congressional bickering and political finger pointing concerning the 50,000 murdered in their own city streets and homes. There was no minute of silence in congress either. Americans have murdered about 165,000 Americans right here in the USA in the last 10 years.

How many died on 911? About 2,600. I am sure we have killed over 2,600 terrorists since then to get even. How many more do we want to kill? Do we want to kill them all? How many would that be, 1,000,000 as in Vietnam?

We lost over 58,000 Americans in Vietnam. How many Americans were murdered by Americans in the USA in that same 10 year period? About 165,000.

What was our purpose in Vietnam? What is our purpose in Iraq and Afghanistan? Do we want to set these people free to live like Americans so they can murder each other at the same rate we do? Where is the real war? Is it in Detroit and in many other American cities?

We can spend countless billions on foreign wars that do not solve anything. Yet we do not have the money to make even one city like Detroit safe. The recent shooting in Tucson is nothing new, it is par for the course. Americans love to murder.

In 1968 while I was in Vietnam, Martin Luther King, Jr. was murdered. Two months later Robert Kennedy was murdered. At age 19, it did not take a lot of smarts to realize I was in the wrong war, the real war was back home.

Last edited by jkimble1966; 01-10-2011 at 10:49 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2011, 06:17 PM

522 posts, read 1,566,298 times
I completely agree! But you forget one very important point. It isn't politically correct to care about every day Americans.

Americans died from cancer approx. 565,000 last year

Americans died from heart disease approx. 631,000 last year

Americans died from traffic related incidents 30,000 last year

Americans injured in traffic accidents 2.4 million last year

These don't matter either really. They don't make headlines and they don't advance political careers.

And don't forget where one of the most dangerous places to live is... Washington DC...rated the 12th most dangerous city in the US.

Old 01-11-2011, 10:50 PM

2 posts, read 3,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofIL View Post
I completely agree! But you forget one very important point. It isn't politically correct to care about every day Americans.

Americans died from cancer approx. 565,000 last year

Americans died from heart disease approx. 631,000 last year

Americans died from traffic related incidents 30,000 last year

Americans injured in traffic accidents 2.4 million last year

These don't matter either really. They don't make headlines and they don't advance political careers.

And don't forget where one of the most dangerous places to live is... Washington DC...rated the 12th most dangerous city in the US.
What you say is true!

And as a wheelchair bound disabled veteran with a cancer that has no treatment and as one who is well past his "expiration date," there is much I could say about my nearly completed dream, a 3 year effort to relocate my entire extended family away from the very city you mention to a city where there is very little violent crime.
[mod cut-- please do not discuss moderation on the forums. Thank you]. I have read a thousand posts here at City Data to help me with my decisions to get my family away from the violence, but this was the first time I submitted a post.

Last edited by observer53; 01-12-2011 at 01:44 PM..

Old 01-12-2011, 01:41 PM

126 posts, read 231,143 times
I think you will see and increase in the shooting deaths in 2010 because every time I turned on the news last year someone was shot. It will be interesting to see the difference between 2009 and 10.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
View detailed profiles of: