U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2007, 09:53 PM

799 posts, read 1,384,718 times

Advertisements

I am looking at a job offer in Tucson. This would be very different from living in Indiana. I am originally from Ohio, so I am reluctant to move again, but cannot find work here in my field where I live.
I have always lived near a big city. What would Tucson be like? Are there duplexes or condos to rent? I am in my 50s so I am not a retiree.
What are the good High Schools?
What are the good mid-priced neighborhoods?
What areas should I stay away from?
Any other information is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2007, 10:46 PM

2,575 posts, read 5,225,205 times
You might want to check on the Tucson city forum, I've seen quite a bit of this info posted there (took me a while to notice the city forums, but I'm blonde).

Old 07-16-2007, 11:45 PM

7,971 posts, read 16,166,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twixcookie View Post
I am looking at a job offer in Tucson. This would be very different from living in Indiana. I am originally from Ohio, so I am reluctant to move again, but cannot find work here in my field where I live.
I have always lived near a big city. What would Tucson be like? Are there duplexes or condos to rent? I am in my 50s so I am not a retiree.
What are the good High Schools?
What are the good mid-priced neighborhoods?
What areas should I stay away from?
Any other information is appreciated.
Good question, Twixcookie

Kinda tough to answer without knowing what part of town you plan to be working. Although Tucson is a great place to live with near perfect weather, commuting can be a bear.

As far as "good mid-priced neighborhoods" are concerned . . . as long as you stay north of Speedway (give or take a block or two) I think you'll be ok.

Good Luck and I sure hope this helps.

! ! ! ! ! !

Old 07-17-2007, 04:05 PM

218 posts, read 1,081,161 times
Check out these suburbs (all less than an hour commute)

North of town:
Oro Valley, Marana, Tortolita, Catalina

South of town:
Vail, Sahuarita, Corona

Welcome to Southern Arizona.

Old 07-17-2007, 06:12 PM

1,135 posts, read 2,335,541 times
I used to live up in Oro Valley. Very nice family area. Attached picture (I hope, my first attempt, LOL) of my back yard where I used to live.
Attached Thumbnails
What is Tucson like?-p4050062.jpg  

Old 07-18-2007, 12:35 AM
Flipinino

n/a posts
Please consider a young 23 year olds point of view as I explain to you what Tucson is like. I have attended 3 High Schools here, have had many diversified friends, and moved here about 6 years ago with my parents in 2001 (before 9/11). From my experiences it is a very desirable place to live. Pima County, with Tucson being the county seat has hit the 1 Million mark by population standards. This city is a rapidly growing area with thousands of families from California relocating here in search for less expensive living costs.
You will find that Tucson really feels like a medium sized city because of it's lack of overcrowded freeway systems. Most of the traffic is directed towards the major city streets and can at times be very irritating during rush hour. Also, Tucson is experiencing a major construction dilemma on Interstate 10 between Tucson and Phoenix. In the future, an estimated 10 years from now Tucson and Phoenix will merge as a "Megapolitan" even though they are nearly 100 miles away from each other. One can say that Tucson is a major city considering that the cities population itself is well over 500,000. We are among the 30 most populated cities in America. When it comes to culture, Tucson has a prominent hispanic and Native American culture. With me being a filipino-american I have also noticed a rapid growth in the Southeast Asian and Puerto Rican population as well. I would describe the attitude and culture a lot like California because many families from California are making Arizona the "new" California. When it comes to climate and weather patterns, Summers can be devastating because of the dry hot climate that we encounter because we are located in the desert. It IS hot, but not one person can trade the perfect mild evenings and nights that Arizona offers. The nights are so perfect here. Now, when it comes to crime rate. This year we have experienced 10 murders per 100,000 people which translates to 52 murders as opposed to 57 murders last year. Now, I will close my comment by saying that if you plan to move here this Summer you will experience the annually violent desert hurricane aka. "the monsoon" by the time you arrive so be well prepared for a shower that you've never experienced in Indiana.

Old 07-18-2007, 01:11 AM
Flipinino

n/a posts
I wrote a very informative post and would like to take the chance to answer some of your questions. High Schools, I would suggest that you stay away from Santa Rita because there is a lot of gang affiliation within that school. Tucson High is crowned the largest and most populated high school and I would not suggest that any of your children attend or that you find a job there because they too have many problems considering the size of the school. The best high schools that come to mind are Rincon, Sahuaro, Palo Verde, Cholla, and maybe even Sahuarita (which is a suburb 10 miles away from tucson). Now, if you're looking for well mannered and distinguished "preppy" rich people high schools then you may want to focus on the northside of the city and even the foothills, marana, or oro valley. In my opinion, good mid-priced neighborhoods are located on the eastside or maybe even as far as central off of broadway boulevard. Areas to stay away from. There is a small city connected to Tucson which is considered it's own incorporated city with it's own culture and traditions for the mere fact that it's centralized around Hispanic and Mexican ethnicity by the name of South Tucson. Many who are ignorant to it's heritage seem to think that the entire area is filled with violent gangs and disgusting people but there are only certain streets and neighborhoods that prove this to be true. I don't have enough room to type every single detail of what area to stay away but just be alert when you stray on that side of town and get lost. Other areas you may want to avoid is Miracle Mile and Central Speedway. The area north of downtown Tucson is also experiencing a lot of prostitution and illegal drug activity. On weekends and odd hours of the night there are many homeless and drug induced addicts roaming the areas between Northbound Oracle and Stone so steer away from those areas. There is more but I don't want to flood the forum so just feed off the information I've submitted. Thank you and I hope your decision is a wise one and if you do move welcome to Tucson! :-D

Old 07-18-2007, 08:52 PM

12 posts, read 44,877 times
I think the crime in Phoenix and Tucson is so misunderstood. I live in between Baltimore and Washington DC and in the last 5 yrs I've been here, they have ALWAYS been in the top 5 most violent and/or murderous cities in the annual FBI crime stats. Stealing a car is alot different than shooting someone over a bad drug deal.

Tucson is beautiful. I can't think of more beautiful place... the high Sonoran desert is to die for. You can't find that in the Baltimore-Washington DC area. ;-)

Old 07-18-2007, 09:47 PM

56 posts, read 187,057 times
Exxon....you ain't living here. It's not misunderstood. Until you've lived here you can't imagine what it really is like. It use to be an awesome place to live in the 70's. Schools sucked but everything else was great!

I invite you to move on out and see for yourself! You are right...the sonoran desert is beautiful. Beyond that......gotta see it for yourself. Enjoy the taxes, traffic, low wages, high car ins premiums, crime and politics!!

Golf is great, hiking is awesome and the winter weather is a heck of a lot better than I imagine Baltimore is. But if you base quality of life on winter weather, you might be disappointed.

Best wishes!

Old 07-19-2007, 03:56 PM

799 posts, read 1,384,718 times
The employer I am dealing with has interviewed me on the phone. They don't want to spend the money to fly me out for a face to face interview. When I ask why, I don't get much from the headhunter. I think it would be scary to take a job with a phone interview only, and pick up and move across the country, relocate, and start over with a new job, when I haven't seen the workplace, met any of the employees, or seen the city.
I am scared there could be some misrepresentation and they could hire me on the phone and fire me for not being what they wanted. Why wouldn't they spend the money to make sure I am what they want? Other places do it...I am being told this is a "Tucson thing"!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson