Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2011, 11:12 AM

461 posts, read 859,730 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subie2 View Post
Well, after 6 pages of this thread, and your other thread, you have info to work with. I'm sure the places you have choices of going to want an answer very soon as well. Nobody says you have to stay here past 3 years. These 3 years will be about work, plain and simple. What is best for your future career? Your choice in residency. The VA and UMC are top hospitals in the country. You need to choose academically, and socially should come 2nd.
Thanks!
The 3 years will be about work, plain and simple. - I think/hope that I will have time to pursue some things like sports, working out, traveling a bit, etc. Yes, I anticipate a lot of work, but life is what you make of it, and you battle through fatigue to experience more. I am an energetic person.

THe VA and UMC are top hospitals in the country - Where did you read this? I am sure they are great hospitals, but to my knowledge, there are more impressive medical centers in the country...think MGH, John Hopkins, Houston Medical complex, University of Washington, Stanford, Boston, U Pitt, U of Alabama, etc. The UMC in Tucson is associated with an NCI cancer center which is impressive. And I think I have heard that the Tucson VA is one of the busiest in the country.

Old 02-03-2011, 12:10 PM

13,168 posts, read 21,764,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDCB View Post
I want to make sure that there is a "scene" in Tucson for young professionals/intellectuals.
Judging from your posts, you have nothing to worry about. LOL! Ok, sorry, bad joke.

Funny, my wife and I moved to Kingman for a temporary career assignment as well after a 3 year stint in NY and our previous home in the SF Bay area before that. We figured it would be like being on the moon, or in jail, or military boot camp. But at the same time we were a little giddy about trying something so new and out-of-the-ordinary that we decided to give it a go. How bad could three years be? So we had a completely open mind and not a whole lot of expectations. We've been here for 4 1/2 years now, and have no plans to leave. We're just totally digging all facets of life in the desert. Granted this isn't Tucson, but there are some similarities to the situation. From Tucson, you have the great Sonoran desert and the entire southwest at your disposal. Take advantage of it and I think you'll be very happy indeed. And you will assuredly find birds of your own feather no matter where you go. Happiness doesn't come from where you lay your hat, it comes from within.

Old 02-03-2011, 02:33 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,033,208 times
Quote:
I don't see too much cultural vibrancy in the southwest either though, no offense. Just being objective.

II move to a more "cultural city" or a city perhaps with mild climate.

It is a HUUUUGE move for me, and it is the first MAJOR transition point in my life. I just lost the love of my life, and am starting a career for the first time in my life, in a new city. I have never lived away from family.
gotta know where to look for culture because it's definitely here...but we all have different definitions of culture, I suppose....

you'll have to live very near an ocean for consistently mild climate....getting used to low humidity will be your challenge here - and the big diff between day- and night-time temps....gotta say I'm very glad and lucky I live here - for the weather and otherwise.....

wasn't San Diego available???!!!!....

Old 02-03-2011, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azdr0710 View Post
gotta know where to look for culture because it's definitely here...but we all have different definitions of culture, I suppose....

you'll have to live very near an ocean for consistently mild climate....getting used to low humidity will be your challenge here - and the big diff between day- and night-time temps....gotta say I'm very glad and lucky I live here - for the weather and otherwise.....

wasn't San Diego available???!!!!....
What is the culture that you enjoy? Not being sarcastic, just asking.

Yeah, I think I have figured it out that I will need to live by the ocean for mild weather. I like greenery and mild weather...seems like SD would be pretty perfect. I am pretty ignorant about SD.
I did not apply to any programs there.

Getting used to the low humidity will be the challenge for sure. I understand that you have to hydrate hydrate hydrate...and use a lot of lotion? I am looking to be outside a lot. I hope I can tolerate the climate. But as I mentioned, I should be able to for at least 3 years and make the best of it.

The big difference between the day and night temps is something I brought up briefly in a previous post, I think. I am assuming I will be going to work/getting up pretty early to go to work/work out/run. I guess I will have to dress in joggings pants and a sweatshirt (and perhaps a hoodie/beanie) to run in the morning/night in the winter. And for work, I guess I need a nice thick fleece/classy jacket that I can wear to work and take off and not be cumbersome to take back home. Clothes worn during the summer should obviously be light and tolerable for both 110 degree climate and 80 degree climate at night. No jacket...light classy clothes...banana republic? LOL
I am really thinking about adding a cowboy hat to keep from the sun...lol...what do you all think?

The countdown is still running....and I am really looking towards Tucson.

Old 02-03-2011, 06:10 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,033,208 times
Quote:
What is the culture that you enjoy? Not being sarcastic, just asking.

I understand that you have to hydrate hydrate hydrate...and use a lot of lotion?

I guess I will have to dress in joggings pants and a sweatshirt (and perhaps a hoodie/beanie) to run in the morning/night in the winter. And for work, I guess I need a nice thick fleece/classy jacket that I can wear to work and take off and not be cumbersome to take back home. Clothes worn during the summer should obviously be light and tolerable for both 110 degree climate and 80 degree climate at night. No jacket...light classy clothes...banana republic? LOL
I am really thinking about adding a cowboy hat to keep from the sun...lol...what do you all think?

dunno, I never looked for culture...I know it was around here somewhere....

that tourism video had a lot of that high-faluttin' culture in it....lots of shows at various UA venues....biggest gem show in the country started here a couple days ago....symphony, theater, opera, and ballet every winter....a ton of Hispanic stuff....gosh, we even have AAA baseball - (sometimes).....(you'll have to look for what you like here...lots of stuff)

I don't think you'll have to "hydrate, hydrate, hydrate", but do drink water throughout the day, including a big glass very first thing in the AM (or whenever you'll be waking up!)....and lotion should be used anywhere, not just Tucson (the Walgreen's house brand is excellent)....

dressing to impress never really caught on in Tucson, except with certain UA undergrads, I suppose (I used to be one of them).....and nobody wears cowboy hats except real cowboys and wannabes....just pick up a wide-brimmed (all the way around) hiker-style hat at REI or Summit Hut and you'll fit right in....

Old 02-03-2011, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
Judging from your posts, you have nothing to worry about. LOL! Ok, sorry, bad joke.
Awwww...ouch...lol

Old 02-03-2011, 08:48 PM

59 posts, read 89,755 times
Having lived in Tucson years ago..back in the early 2000's and having moved to TN where I am now..I will say I get you about the culture etc. I was born and raised in TN and I am just generally unhappy here..but I will say my allergies and asthma has been a big factor in wanting to move back to Arizona..besides I am not a winter person.

I dont know what is best for you..only you can decide that..But it sounds to me like (and forgive me for I am a social worker so my psychology degree is kicking in here) that you are thinking you should be in California but are unsure because of the financial differences from the cost of living or so. You have asked a lot of questions and have not been so satisfied with your answers so I would encourage you to stop and think about where you envision yourself!!! Maybe look on superpages and look up singles clubs in both areas and museums and such..and just write out a pro/con list.

Personally I will let you in on something I have never told anyone but my husband..I would live in San Deigo in a heartbeat if I could afford it. I am a professional with a college degree and make a ncie living but I have researched extensively the economy etc there and I can get way more bang for my buck in Arizona. And just vacation in California for some nice weekend visits!!!

You seem like a nice guy..so just trust in your gut and after educating yourself about the areas like you have here ( and hopefully you are doing that in the other choices board as well) make your decision..and i have full confidence in you that it will be the right one!!!!!

Old 02-04-2011, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duvallwest View Post
Having lived in Tucson years ago..back in the early 2000's and having moved to TN where I am now..I will say I get you about the culture etc. I was born and raised in TN and I am just generally unhappy here..but I will say my allergies and asthma has been a big factor in wanting to move back to Arizona..besides I am not a winter person.

I dont know what is best for you..only you can decide that..But it sounds to me like (and forgive me for I am a social worker so my psychology degree is kicking in here) that you are thinking you should be in California but are unsure because of the financial differences from the cost of living or so. You have asked a lot of questions and have not been so satisfied with your answers so I would encourage you to stop and think about where you envision yourself!!! Maybe look on superpages and look up singles clubs in both areas and museums and such..and just write out a pro/con list.

Personally I will let you in on something I have never told anyone but my husband..I would live in San Deigo in a heartbeat if I could afford it. I am a professional with a college degree and make a ncie living but I have researched extensively the economy etc there and I can get way more bang for my buck in Arizona. And just vacation in California for some nice weekend visits!!!

You seem like a nice guy..so just trust in your gut and after educating yourself about the areas like you have here ( and hopefully you are doing that in the other choices board as well) make your decision..and i have full confidence in you that it will be the right one!!!!!
Thank you! I appreciate the constructive thoughts and encouragement. I have decided that I need to have a balance between living somewhere nice/cool and furthering my career.

At this stage in my life, I think Tucson has both of those to offer. I will enjoy all the weather (minus the relentless scorching summers), enjoy the desert landscape for what it is (and not complain about the lack of water...it is the desert! duh!), get away from the miserable winters of the midwest, enjoy some Sonoran food and golf, learn some Spanish, as I return my concentration back to my career and myself. (just had a life shattering breakup with a SO)

I thank the forum for giving all kinds of experiences and thoughts about moving to the desert SW...Tucson specifically. Sorry if I asked stupid/naive questions repeatedly. But I think these forums serve a great purpose...to allay some fears about a new area, make smart decisions with rent/areas to live, sense of culture and amenities, etc. These forums were actually a good place to discuss fears/anxieties and discuss life situations/changes/geographical moves. It is good to relate to others in real life and also anonymously on the internet.

I have also realized that asking questions like "will I meet good looking educated women in Tucson" is very subjective...if one is a good looking man and hangs out in educated environments and is available for a relationship, then yes, chances are he will meet an educated woman in El Paso, Detroit, SF, or anywhere else for that matter.
But generalizations about the population does give you a direction however. For example, SF probably has a lot more variety of "international women/men" than does Tucson.

I think I will enjoy Tucson a lot and will make the best of it for 3 years. I will be glad to have lived in the desert but ultimately will probably chase water...I have always wanted to live by water....waterfalls, rivers, lakes, the ocean, etc. That is why I am bummed that I didn't concentrate on the west coast more....like SD another poster suggested.
But I think Tucson will prepare me well for my future in medicine. And who knows, maybe I will fall in love with it and provide healthcare for the community!

Old 02-05-2011, 08:49 PM

532 posts, read 1,175,244 times
Quote:
Thanks!
The 3 years will be about work, plain and simple. - I think/hope that I will have time to pursue some things like sports, working out, traveling a bit, etc. Yes, I anticipate a lot of work, but life is what you make of it, and you battle through fatigue to experience more. I am an energetic person.

THe VA and UMC are top hospitals in the country - Where did you read this? I am sure they are great hospitals, but to my knowledge, there are more impressive medical centers in the country...think MGH, John Hopkins, Houston Medical complex, University of Washington, Stanford, Boston, U Pitt, U of Alabama, etc. The UMC in Tucson is associated with an NCI cancer center which is impressive. And I think I have heard that the Tucson VA is one of the busiest in the country.
I should have said one of the top hospitals. UMC wins many awards each year, and I'm not just saying that because I'm there.

Old 02-06-2011, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subie2 View Post
I should have said one of the top hospitals. UMC wins many awards each year, and I'm not just saying that because I'm there.
I am sure it is a great hospital! Hence me moving for a job there, but I just wanted you to know that all hospitals plaster all kinds of awards everywhere...doesn't mean anything.

UMC is known for is its pulmonary program.
UMC Among U.S. News & World Report
It is ranked 48th in the nation for pulmonology...that is fairly impressive.

The cancer center as I mentioned before, is a NCI certified center which is also impressive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson