Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 01:05 PM

27 posts, read 66,805 times

Advertisements

I'm looking at craigslist and noting that if utilities are included, usually electricity isn't. I imagine that's because of AC costs? If I shop around more, will I find a place that includes everything for higher rent? Based off the prices I'm seeing, I can jump quite a bit (I have a housing voucher). Being as I'm on the east coast, it's a little hard to tell about utilities-paid deals just pouring through online listings, so I'm hoping for a local heads-up. And if electric is a lost cause (aka I'd be paying it), what does it tend to run for a 1BR keeping temperature at a comfy but not-too-cool level? (Hmm subjective question is subjective... let's go with 72 degrees F as a ballpark.)

A lot of my other questions would be on a per-complex basis so they're not really useful here, however I am curious about public transportation in general as I don't have a car. Is there a disability program that lowers or negates bus fares? Do bus routes have generally good coverage for getting places? Are there any noteworthy problems I should know about, regarding public transportation?

Thanks in advance. ^__^
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2011, 08:21 PM

444 posts, read 1,351,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lady_shane View Post
I'm looking at craigslist and noting that if utilities are included, usually electricity isn't.
I wouldn't put a lot of emphasis on "utilities included." I mean, you're talking about basic cable, which is now running about $25/month, and water/sewage, which is almost always included in Tucson apartments anyway. Places that have utilities included tend to be pretty low-end anyway.

Quote:
what does it tend to run for a 1BR keeping temperature at a comfy but not-too-cool level?
Depends on the square footage, the insulation, floor you're on, number of windows, direction the windows face, and a couple of other factors. But around $60 max for a month, most likely in June.

Quote:
A lot of my other questions would be on a per-complex basis so they're not really useful here
You're welcome to try. I will say that, in Tucson, large complexes are generally not the way to go. They're either poorly managed and crime infested, run-down or exorbitantly expensive. There's little benefit to a large complex except, perhaps, a community pool.
Quote:
however I am curious about public transportation in general as I don't have a car.
People complain about the bus system. I rode it for two years while working Downtown and found it to be acceptable. It's better if you work Downtown or at the U of A. Travel takes a long time and it really sucks in the summer. Tucson is a car-centric city.
Quote:
Is there a disability program that lowers or negates bus fares?
Yep. Fares & Passes : Economy Monthly Pass - Sun Tran - Tucson, AZ
Quote:
Do bus routes have generally good coverage for getting places?
Everything in the city is accessible. It's once you get into the suburbs that you encounter accessibility issues.

Old 02-22-2011, 08:37 PM

396 posts, read 925,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coatimundi View Post

You're welcome to try. I will say that, in Tucson, large complexes are generally not the way to go. They're either poorly managed and crime infested, run-down or exorbitantly expensive. There's little benefit to a large complex except, perhaps, a community pool.
whoa... thanks for the advice. I was looking at complexes.

Old 02-22-2011, 09:07 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,134,698 times
Quote:
I wouldn't put a lot of emphasis on "utilities included." I mean, you're talking about basic cable, which is now running about $25/month, and water/sewage, which is almost always included in Tucson apartments anyway. Places that have utilities included tend to be pretty low-end anyway.
Some places do include all utilities; however, there's a catch - the complex decides when to switch between heating and cooling and the residents have no control over that. That's probably done generally just once, unless the weather changes drastically and they may still not do it if it does. I wouldn't live in such a place myself.

Old 02-23-2011, 07:48 AM

444 posts, read 1,351,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Some places do include all utilities; however, there's a catch - the complex decides when to switch between heating and cooling and the residents have no control over that. That's probably done generally just once, unless the weather changes drastically and they may still not do it if it does. I wouldn't live in such a place myself.
Right. There's a place on Tucson Blvd near Grant ("Sierra" something) that does that. They told me that and I thought "that sounds awful" and left. I had a friend in Colorado that lived in a place like that also, used to be a hotel, and they wouldn't flip the a/c on until it got to about 90 degrees.

Old 02-23-2011, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Right. There's a place on Tucson Blvd near Grant ("Sierra" something) that does that. They told me that and I thought "that sounds awful" and left. I had a friend in Colorado that lived in a place like that also, used to be a hotel, and they wouldn't flip the a/c on until it got to about 90 degrees.
Be grateful at least they told you! Probably many people sign such leases without having a clue about this. As they say, when something sounds too good to be true...

Old 02-23-2011, 10:57 AM

9,599 posts, read 31,685,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Be grateful at least they told you! Probably many people sign such leases without having a clue about this. As they say, when something sounds too good to be true...
Good one, Sierra.

Also . . . "There's no such thing as a FREE LUNCH."

Old 02-24-2011, 03:07 PM

Something that has added a whole new layer to the game is that I realized in December I will be getting the last of my backpay, which I knew already, but it dawned on me while poking around real estate that I could actually buy an apartment or condo, depending on where I look. I have to research the heck out of that though, because I'd lose the voucher and would be paying insurance / utilities / property tax / etc all myself on limited income. In the meantime I'm still looking at rentals as that is the safer bet for now... but wow. O.o

@coatimundi Oh awesome, thank you for so many answers! The bills don't sound too bad, I know cost of living is really high where I am right now so it's novel to hear about prices elsewhere. That bus pass price is very nice too, awesome. I'll take your advice into account, and thank you for the heads-up on complexes as here it tends to depend on where the complex is located, not just that it's a huge building.

@sierraAZ Yeah where I am it's like that, and although they do tend to pick a decent time of year (or will switch it back if weather goes really wonky), it is kinda annoying. The weather here is unpredictable enough, so yeah, I'll keep that in mind. Thanks! ^_^

@Bummer Yeah I hear ya, it's just that for me the voucher covers rent, and if rent covers utilities, I don't have to pay the utilities out of pocket. Very handy on below-poverty-level income. ^^;;

Thank you everyone for such considerate answers! ^___^

Old 02-24-2011, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Are there any noteworthy problems I should know about, regarding public transportation?
Well, mass transit here is nothing like back East or other handful of cities. Ideally, it is to be avoided unless you like waiting at bus stops for hours... If that's your only choice, i.e. you can't drive, it's possible to make it work by living and working on bus lines, but that's no life, IMO. Basically, you're trapped and can't do anything.

Old 02-25-2011, 01:53 AM

Hmm yeah I can't drive, and don't know anybody in Tucson. That's the case in most of the places I'm researching to move to, though. I know where I *don't* want to live, but not sure where I do. Family is not really an option for me (heh, trying to move away from that as well), though I do have an aunt in Denver who is leftist like me. I've asked for some suggestions based off my climate preferences on an RPG-tabletop gaming board (cuz I'm a gamer and may as well shoot for at least getting some gaming in), and Tucson was one of the more promising responses. Waiting for a bus that long isn't a promising thought... hmm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
View detailed profiles of: