Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 02:59 PM

4,922 posts, read 8,572,682 times

Advertisements

I am in need of a new undercounter, tall tub dishwasher. Mine is only 2 1/2 years old, but it is so loud it's deafening, and the dishes, even when practically pre-washed, do not come out clean. I've read the manual, it says no need to pre-rinse (wrong), use a rinse agent (I do), and that the DW is whisper quiet (only if a roaring locomotive is whisper quiet), so I've decided to buy a new one. Do I go to Sears? Or one of the appliance warehouses? I'll need someone to install the new and remove the old. Where would I be likely to get the best deal? This one is a Frigidaire Gallery Series Tall Tub. Thanks in advance--so far the wood floor and the car repair have been perfect referrals, so I'm hoping for a three for three!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2011, 03:27 PM

1,024 posts, read 2,747,759 times
I prefer Christies, Family owned and operated local company. Not too far for you either, Ina/La Cholla

Old 02-28-2011, 04:44 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,698,363 times
I normally prefer Christies as well but this time I found a killer deal on a KitchenAid Stainless Steel (inside and out) Dishwasher at Lowe's just two weeks ago. I've only run it a couple of times and it is damn near silent.

Total "out the door" price was just a little under $800 including hose, power cord (yes, they are all sold separately), tax and installation.

Good Luck

Old 02-28-2011, 05:15 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,317,950 times
Since living in Tucson, I've had occasion to purchase every appliance except a dishwasher. I'm just commenting on price and service, not the quality of the appliances themselves.

Like Rick, I check Christie's first (Ina & LaCholla) to support a local firm close to my house. I purchased my washer and dryer there when I moved in and an over-the-stove microwave when it was the first of my kitchen appliances to give up the ghost. I feel I got a fair price from them and excellent installation. I also used their service people for both my crummy builder-installed stove and refrigerator and those guys responded immediately, fixed the problems, and charged a fair price.

Next I needed a new gas stove. I had some wishes that made it a pricier than bottom-line item, so I watched and waited for a best deal. I ended up getting a close-out from Lowe's. They didn't install, but recommended several local plumbers who could do the gas hook-up. I chose Progressive Plumbing Systems and the company principal came to my house and did a fine enough job that I called him again when I needed a plumber for my bathroom.

Most recently, my Maytag refrigerator's generator gave out. I wanted a model that would match the stove I got at Lowe's. Christie's would have had to order one just for me; I would have had to wait for arrival and pay full price. Fair, but I wanted a bargain. The company that had what I wanted at a price that made me happy was Sears Home Appliance Showroom, 3951 Costco Drive in 85741. This is not a Sears department store, rather it is a Sears FRANCHISE owned by a local man who also owns one in Green Valley. His inventory is somewhat limited, but the prices are good and he happened to have exactly what I wanted. Sears does his delivery and set-up (same people you would get if you purchased at the mall). They were an entire day late arriving, but when they finally showed up the did everything they said they would do, everything worked, and they cleaned up after themselves. I never heard of Sears franchises before, but I was told about it by a man who works there who used to be a sales associate at American Home.

The good news: there seems to be more than one place to get a decent price and acceptable service on appliances in Tucson. I'd rate Christie's highest, but the other companies worked out for me, too.

Old 02-28-2011, 05:39 PM

721 posts, read 996,075 times
Just a thought, but the new formulas for the various dishwasher detergents do NOT clean as well as the old formulas used to. They had to remove some of the pollutants. So it may not be your dishwasher that is the problem.

Old 02-28-2011, 09:17 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,061,889 times
if you're into patronizing locally-owned joints, in addition to Christie's, you may want to check out Tucson Appliance on Speedway.....

Old 02-28-2011, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertaWa View Post
Just a thought, but the new formulas for the various dishwasher detergents do NOT clean as well as the old formulas used to. They had to remove some of the pollutants. So it may not be your dishwasher that is the problem.
I did read somewhere that the EPA or someone made the DW soap companies like Cascade, etc., take the phosphates out, and that has made it nearly impossible to get clean dishes, but I still see detergent ads on TV claiming that even lasagna that sat overnight will come off the dishes.

One of the things that so irritates me is that I put the glasses in clean and they come out with debris stuck on the outside and inside. I wondered if possibly I just needed a plumber to come look at the DW, because it really started getting loud and working poorly suddendly, but, I have never liked the DW (which was brand new two and a half years ago) anyway, so I might as well get one I like. My next job is to do some Consumer's Report research, but I doubt I'll get Fridigaire again. I'm going to be in the Ina La Cholla area Thursday, so I'll go look at Christie's. I'll check Tucson Appliances and Sears, too. I want a bargain, but I don't want something cheap.

Old 03-03-2011, 08:45 PM

135 posts, read 342,078 times
I just bought a full set of kitchen appliances from one of those big box stores ... yeah, the one with the orange aprons. The place is always a zoo but I got a great deal - Maytag/Whirlpool fridge with a bottom freezer, dishwasher, glass-top convection oven and regular microwave - all for just under $2,000. Oh, and all stainless steel. (Still need to get a range hood, though). They were having a great sale and I got an upgraded stove for the same price since they were out of stock. This included delivery but not installation.

Good luck in your search. You might try Pacific Sales on Stone Avenue - they seem to have a nice selection and good prices.

Old 03-03-2011, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swbell6 View Post
I just bought a full set of kitchen appliances from one of those big box stores ... yeah, the one with the orange aprons. The place is always a zoo but I got a great deal - Maytag/Whirlpool fridge with a bottom freezer, dishwasher, glass-top convection oven and regular microwave - all for just under $2,000. Oh, and all stainless steel. (Still need to get a range hood, though). They were having a great sale and I got an upgraded stove for the same price since they were out of stock. This included delivery but not installation.

Good luck in your search. You might try Pacific Sales on Stone Avenue - they seem to have a nice selection and good prices.
I'm very near an Orange Apron store. That's a thought. Who did your installation? There is no way I could do it myself. Plus, I'm on the second floor in a condo complex, so delivery and removal are essential.

Old 03-04-2011, 08:49 AM

9,601 posts, read 31,698,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcy1210 View Post
I'm very near an Orange Apron store. That's a thought. Who did your installation? There is no way I could do it myself. Plus, I'm on the second floor in a condo complex, so delivery and removal are essential.
Dishwasher installation, Marcy . . .

I'd highly recommend Brian at HESTER PLUMBING (520 344-9339) and not the guys recommended by the Orange Aprons.

Good Luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
View detailed profiles of: