U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-01-2011, 08:25 PM

17 posts, read 15,214 times
Smile Japanese population around Tucson ??

We will be relocating this year and Tucson is one of my choices. Albuquerque being the other. My wife is Japanese. I researched this city and the demographics state that there is only around 2% asian. We were just curious if there were any Japanese Americans there. I have searched this forum for information about Tucson and there seems to be a lot of negative posts on here. I take that with a grain of salt as it all depends on the communities you choose to live in and the places you frequent, but we would appreciate any helpful information anyone could give. We both love warm weather and prefer a year round warm climate. We understand that the summer there can be a bit much to deal with. I would be working at Davis-Monthan as a contractor.
A few questions: 1. How is the cost of utilities there with having to run the AC pretty hard most of the year? 2. What communites are considered the most desired and safest to live? Again, any other helpful info is appreciated.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2011, 11:22 PM

8 posts, read 11,704 times
There is a Japanese community here in Tucson. There's a tight-nit group of Japanese housewives who are married to active-duty service personnel at DMAFB who live on the base, as well as many other expats who live across the entire city. There's a Japanese association http://www.geocities.jp/jpntus/ (try Googling: The Japanese Association of Tucson, AZ) where most of the Japanese expats from around the city and the University of Arizona all gather together for an afternoon to network with other families in the city.

May through the end of August is simply hot, but if you plan your day appropriately and want to go out and about, you can enjoy your mornings and late afternoons. About utilities, if you keep the AC cranking at full blast all the time that would easily cost you a couple of hundred Dollars a month, maybe a good bit less if you use the ceiling fans, and don't go nuts and trying to keep the house so cold you can convert into a meat locker.

The areas just right outside of DMAFB aren't the best to be at, but not they the absolute worst in the city either. Typically, most of the problem areas always seem to be nearby some of the older less well-kept apartments. You might want to consider renting a house than an apartment, maybe in the Vail area, if you don't want to commute too far away from DMAFB. Kolb road and Country Club roads going to and from the base are awful during the morning and afternoon commutes.

Last edited by taku_1122; 04-01-2011 at 11:29 PM.. Reason: typos

Old 04-02-2011, 06:01 AM

Thanks for the info! Do you know anything of the Catalina Foothills? I saw some nice homes in that area.

Old 04-02-2011, 07:18 AM

945 posts, read 1,308,549 times
For grocery shopping there is also the 17st Market , about 1/2 the store is dedicated to Japanese/Oriental shoppers. Lots of fresh fish too. Not too far from the base area. Out in NW Tucson there is also a new Lee Lee's Oriental Market located at Orange Grove/La Cholla right across from NW Hospital.

The Foothills is a very nice area. Also the priciest area of the Tucson Metro area. Schools are considered very good by most. Not a terrible commute to the base. Just jump on Swan or Craycroft and head south to Golf Links. Of course commute time is relative to what one condsiders bad and good. If you are from a big city with traffic it may not seem bad, if you are from a small town, it may seem terrbible.

Old 04-02-2011, 09:53 AM

42,846 posts, read 53,424,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickTucsonHomes View Post
For grocery shopping there is also the 17st Market , about 1/2 the store is dedicated to Japanese/Oriental shoppers. Lots of fresh fish too. Not too far from the base area. Out in NW Tucson there is also a new Lee Lee's Oriental Market located at Orange Grove/La Cholla right across from NW Hospital.

The Foothills is a very nice area. Also the priciest area of the Tucson Metro area. Schools are considered very good by most. Not a terrible commute to the base. Just jump on Swan or Craycroft and head south to Golf Links. Of course commute time is relative to what one condsiders bad and good. If you are from a big city with traffic it may not seem bad, if you are from a small town, it may seem terrbible.
Yeah, there are some Asian markets. In addition to the already mentioned, I know a couple more: on 22nd St around Swan/Columbus (S side of the street) and at Stone & Grant... or was it Speedway... I think Speedway.

Old 04-03-2011, 06:10 PM

434 posts, read 635,579 times
The market on 22nd is G & L Imports. I went in there once and really didn't like their selection. Lee Lee's is awesome, but is more geared toward Chinese and Vietnamese. 17th Street is great for buying harder to find fresh produce, imported cooking ingredients and, particularly, good rice.

Yoshimatsu also is a fantastic Japanese restaurant. Very authentic, very good quality stuff. I'm not much for their sushi, but there are so many places in town that you don't need to limit yourself. Most of the sushi places are run by Koreans or Chinese, but that seems to be the case in most of the rest of the country.

Regarding utilities, it completely depends on your preferences, the size of your house, how it's built, how many fans you have, whether or not you have an evaporative cooler, etc. We have about a 1400sf totally tile house and pay about $150 max in the summer. But we have ceiling fans in every room (a must in Tucson). If you have an evaporative cooler, it's even better, because you can run that for much cheaper as long as the humidity isn't very high. Many homes in the area (the newer ones don't seem to have it as much) have both, with an internal switch controlling them and often two thermostats.
My ideal place here for utility costs though would be evaporative cooler, fans in every room, and wall unit A/Cs in some rooms. I've never seen this though.

Old 04-03-2011, 10:46 PM

Great Info! Thanks so much!

Old 04-04-2011, 11:15 AM

434 posts, read 635,579 times
I should also add that 17th Street also is possibly the best place in town to buy whole, fresh fish. There aren't many places that sell this (although Lee Lee's does) at all.

Old 04-04-2011, 11:24 AM

42,846 posts, read 53,424,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coatimundi View Post
I should also add that 17th Street also is possibly the best place in town to buy whole, fresh fish. There aren't many places that sell this (although Lee Lee's does) at all.
However, they did manage to pis* me off big time on Sat. I was buying shrimp and was asked for my name. Naturally, I asked what my name had to do with the purchase of the shrimp (because it wasn't a come-on). Turned out the shrimp can't be "entrusted" in my hands to take to the check-out counter! Some new policy... you wait there and they send somebody back to bring your seafood. I was told that somebody (likely one person) didn’t pay for it and other people, unlike me, were "understanding"! Well, I for one am sick and tired of being treated like a criminal even in the grocery stores and while I may put up with it when I buy my scotch (because there's no other choice unless I go to the duty-free shops in Nogales), I may very well choose not to shop in their market! Perhaps “cost of doing business” is no longer taught in business schools! People have been stealing since the beginning of times; they didn't just start doing so in the past 10 years or so!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson