Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2011, 05:33 PM

138 posts, read 269,730 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. I am moving to Arizona. My partner Mike just got a job there and we are very happily relocating. I will have to stay here for awhile to get things done but I am so excited. We will be renting a home for now until we know where we want to live so does anyone have any ideas on the best places? I am looking for neighbors but not real close, a nice back yard for my dogs that could be protected from the wild life as much as possible.
Also wondering what the rate pay would be for a office job such as receptionist, data entry would be around, Mike is making the big bucks, I am just looking for a simple office job. I am sure I will have more questions. Thanks everyone. Helena
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2011, 06:25 PM

190 posts, read 618,182 times
We are thinking NW Tucson, maybe Oro Valley. Will be renting a house there. It is hard to tell from the pictures how close the neighbors are. Google Maps satelite view helps some when we can get an address to view.

Old 04-03-2011, 07:37 PM

444 posts, read 1,351,894 times
Depends on how much you want to spend. There are a lot of suburban neighborhoods (including Oro Valley, Marana and the Northwest) that are watch your neighbor's TV sort of places. And that's where most of the rentals seem to be.

It also depends on where your partner will be working. Tucson is not an enormous city, but it's pretty spread out, so you don't want a really long commute. Either way, if you don't have kids and he's not working in the sticks, there's just no reason to live in the suburbs anyway. You'll enjoy yourselves more living in the city, and there are plenty of nice, although older, homes for rent with fenced yards (all houses in the city have fences) in good neighborhoods in the basin.

Receptionist pay is dependent on where you're working, how much experience you have, and whether or not you have your bachelors (in anything). It's actually a pretty competitive field here, from what I understand. I would expect $20-30k though. I know that was the pay range at UA and that's generally what is elsewhere around town.

Old 04-04-2011, 04:57 AM

138 posts, read 269,730 times
thank you coatimundi, Mike will be working in the Oro Valley area, I have been reading that is a very nice part of Tucson. Thats not a bad pay for Receptionist work, could handle that, lol Mike is the one that will be making the big bucks, lol. I will just be happy to get a job. I am also thinking of working part time and going to college for social service work, that would be the preferred plan for myself.
I am so very excited. Mike should be there in 3 weeks while I take care of selling our home and getting all ready for us both to start a new and exciting life in your part of the world.
A fenced in yard is a must for us, that is the most important thing, okay a bathroom would be close to that, lol. Again thank you.

Old 04-04-2011, 07:14 AM

1,024 posts, read 2,747,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helena and mike View Post
thank you coatimundi, Mike will be working in the Oro Valley area, I have been reading that is a very nice part of Tucson. Thats not a bad pay for Receptionist work, could handle that, lol Mike is the one that will be making the big bucks, lol. I will just be happy to get a job. I am also thinking of working part time and going to college for social service work, that would be the preferred plan for myself.
I am so very excited. Mike should be there in 3 weeks while I take care of selling our home and getting all ready for us both to start a new and exciting life in your part of the world.
A fenced in yard is a must for us, that is the most important thing, okay a bathroom would be close to that, lol. Again thank you.
Is Mike transferring to Roche or Sanofi-Aventis? They are the new growth companies in the area. Plenty of nice areas to move in Oro Valley. As of this morning there are 49 single family homes available for rent through the Tucson MLS. That does not include private party rentals through Craigs list etc. Prices range from 900.00 to 3400 month and everwhere in between. Nice ones seem to go failry fast, so if he see something he likes I would jump on it.

Last edited by RickTucsonHomes; 04-04-2011 at 07:40 AM..

Old 04-04-2011, 09:41 AM

1,024 posts, read 2,747,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_ View Post
We are thinking NW Tucson, maybe Oro Valley. Will be renting a house there. It is hard to tell from the pictures how close the neighbors are. Google Maps satelite view helps some when we can get an address to view.
There is actually quite a variety in Oro Valley when it comes to how close your neighbores are. In the older section of OV in the 85704 zip there are lots of older homes on 1 acre lots. Throughout the rest of OV there are many areas of semi custom homes on 1/2 acre lots and larger. Then of course quite a few custom home areas on 1 acre and larger. As for the everyday type subdivision, a 7 - 8K sf lot is fairly common, some smaller, some larger. General rule of the thumb, the older the neighborhood the larger the lots will be. So it really depends on what your frame of reference is as for what you consider "close". But I think you should be able to find a rental in Oro Valley that suites your needs.

Old 04-04-2011, 10:18 AM

9,601 posts, read 31,698,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_ View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helena and mike View Post
If Mike is working in Oro Valley, Helena . . . problem solved.

Due to Tucson's less than fun commute issues, I would only consider Oro Valley and North, definitely nothing South of Ina Road.

WELCOME and Good Luck.

Old 04-04-2011, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
I would only consider Oro Valley and North, definitely nothing South of Ina Road.
Agreed. It's a reverse commute, but it still sucks. I worked by Foothills Mall for a while, and I hated that drive. But I hate the suburbs anyway.

Old 04-04-2011, 05:12 PM

190 posts, read 618,182 times
Well, it's been a long process but, it is now official. We are coming to Tucson! Now to bring out my notes about what I learned here.......I have a short list of rental companies from the previous post. I will look it up (Rental companies (houses)) anyone want to add to this list or make recommendations? I am thinking of no more than $1,200 per month for the first year to get a good handle on the area and my new expenses. From the sites I have looked at this should not be a problem.

Old 04-04-2011, 07:35 PM

Right... Time to hijack this thread, eh?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson