U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 02:36 PM

2 posts, read 7,202 times

Advertisements

I just was in the u tirn lane at Kolb and Speedway. Some very old person in front of me (also u tuning) started their turn (as did I) while the arrow was green. The front driver then STOPPED in the middle of their turn. by the time we both got through the u-turn the light was red. I'll let you know if I get a tix. I might try and fight it as I have not had any tix in 25 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2011, 02:53 PM

42,844 posts, read 54,175,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarprof View Post
I just was in the u tirn lane at Kolb and Speedway. Some very old person in front of me (also u tuning) started their turn (as did I) while the arrow was green. The front driver then STOPPED in the middle of their turn. by the time we both got through the u-turn the light was red. I'll let you know if I get a tix. I might try and fight it as I have not had any tix in 25 years.
It'll be good to know. I hate this camera since it's unavoidable on my daily commute.

Old 04-25-2011, 07:42 PM

60 posts, read 73,907 times
This exact thing happened to me - and unfortunately I did get a ticket. The photo shows me clearly past the line when the light turned red - but that doesn't matter I guess.

Old 04-26-2011, 11:40 PM

351 posts, read 425,725 times
Did you see a photo flash? Chances are you got the ticket and can't do anything about it. There is always defensive driving if you don't want it going on your record.

Old 06-29-2011, 12:02 PM

20 posts, read 28,996 times
Not a whole lot you can do here- the State is pretty hardcore when it comes to these cameras. You might ask to see when the last time the camera was calibrated. If they are not calibrated on a regular basis, it's grounds for dismissal of the ticket.

Old 06-30-2011, 12:30 AM

3,539 posts, read 3,143,340 times
Wow. I always thought that if you were in the intersection before the light turned red, you'd be okay. What are you supposed to do? Back up? I guess I'll pay more attention before I enter an intersection. Let us know what happens...

Old 07-01-2011, 05:25 PM

3,350 posts, read 3,355,727 times
Folks, here's the topic of this thread: Red light cameras Kolb/Speedway. That's all we're discussing in this thread in the Tucson forum. This is not the place for discussions on the legality, morality, or wisdom of speed cameras in general. Thanks.

Old 08-19-2013, 11:36 PM

1 posts, read 2,012 times
Default Anyone photo ticketed for a "rolling" stop while turning right on red at Kolb/Speedway?

This morning, there was a flash right as I was turning right to head west on Speedway. I don't think I came to a complete stop, and instead was nosing forward until I knew I was clear to make the turn. There was another car in the middle lane crossing this intersection also heading west right about the same time I was turning. I figured the flash was for that car for speeding (since a glance in the rear view mirror clearly showed it had a green light, since I didn't realize until later that some cameras in Tucson were even capable of detecting rolling stops). This is quite possible the case, especially with the pretty-low 40 mph speed limit. But I'm definitely curious if anyone else has been photo-ticketed at this intersection for not stopping at a red light before turning.

I've been turning right at this intersection every workday morning for 3 years now, seldom stopping shy of the crosswalk (unless I see a pedestrian, can't tell if there's a pedestrian behind a car or cars blocking my view, or of course, if there are cars stopped in front of me waiting to turn right). So if the sensors caught my failure to stop at the most appropriate point, it should have flashed me dozens of times by now. Have any of you received photo tickets of this nature, at this intersection?

Old 08-20-2013, 11:41 AM

2,648 posts, read 926,680 times
I don't think they give tickets out on right turns. I think my wife got caught in that intersection but they had her driving through the intersection on a red light which is the intent of the camera. We didn't get a ticket though they wanted me to send back information on the driver so they could give her a ticket because they couldn't identify her. I of course couldn't tell who was driving the car. Looked like an old lady...

Old 08-20-2013, 01:24 PM

81 posts, read 94,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by borregokid View Post
I don't think they give tickets out on right turns. I think my wife got caught in that intersection but they had her driving through the intersection on a red light which is the intent of the camera. We didn't get a ticket though they wanted me to send back information on the driver so they could give her a ticket because they couldn't identify her. I of course couldn't tell who was driving the car. Looked like an old lady...

How long ago was the ticket? I had the same thing happen and handed the ticket to the person driving my car and let her decide. She paid the fine, but I wondered what would happen if I had just ignored it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson