Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2011, 09:59 AM

461 posts, read 1,313,629 times

Advertisements

What is your final destination? That may help others with giving you the best route. I had to drive roundtrip (alone) to SE Georgia and I took I-10 all the way to I-95. As a single female, I thought it would be bad but it was not scary at all. As far as "border issues", not sure what you mean by that? You are in the U.S. and will be safe. You will only be close to the border in the El Paso area. It was completely safe with only one Border Patrol checkpoint that took all of 2 min. to clear. Not a big deal. I-10 is mostly flat and very well traveled. I never had problems finding a gas station, fast food, etc. If it helps, I stayed the night in Ft. Stockton, TX (not near the border) and continued on early the next a.m. The worst (boring) part of the trip was TX because it took forever to get through and wasn't much to see. Once you clear TX, the scenery is pretty neat...swamps in LA, etc. and the trip went really fast after that. But, it really depends on where you are headed.

Ok, I failed to see you put NC in the title. I really think you will be fine on I-10. You really won't be in the desert that long. Things change once you are east of El Paso.

Last edited by jksn75; 06-25-2011 at 10:05 AM.. Reason: Added last sentence
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2011, 01:04 PM

19 posts, read 26,072 times
Thanks for all the input. Okay -- a little clarity. I will be driving alone with a pet (kitty) in two. I'm a protective mom and have been apologizing to him for the travels. I have a small car with quite a bit of weight on the top. I want to get to NC as quickly as I can, flat roads, and relative traffic so I don't feel 'stranded' if something happens. I do not like how so many areas have no cell reception and driving to AZ was strenous from NM to Tucson. Miles of nothing, no stops, and then going through the mountains hitting AZ was tough on the car. put put put trying to get up and then no cell reception and no one on the road.
Definitely want to avoid mountains.
For some reason mountains in cooler or northern climates don't bother me so much as the whole desert thing. Primarily bc of the heat. Taking 10, 26, 25 to 40 is an hour longer or so than going 10 all the way. I don't know which is more populated road -- 10 or 40 as a whole.

Old 06-25-2011, 01:08 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,691,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickTucsonHomes View Post
Another option out of Alamagordo is to take US 54, a nice quiet peacefull drive and will dump you out on I-40 at Santa Rosa in Eastern NM. Once you hit I-40 just head east. Either way will work and both drives are a bit more interesting than I-25.
I didn't like 54, hill after hill with a Police Car every few miles

Old 06-25-2011, 01:22 PM

I definitely would like to avoid hills. And take a frequently driven road that is less isolated, not more. I don't particularly care abt scenery based on nerves, so easy on the car, quick and with decent traffic, flat straight roads, more gas stations and rest areas -- preferred. 10 seems less populated, prefer no border stops (never been in one except 20 yrs ago), but if I want to stop it's a rest/gas area. I'm worried that 26 will be desolate and winding. If I know in advance, I can prepare mentally. I realize I may be a wuss to some but I did drive solo with pet to get here. Go through to OH was great, then it became a bit more desolate. MI was not fun. Indiana had more dead animals on the road from development and construction. sigh. Has anyone been on 26 who can describe the drive and one person mentioned 25 was relatively flat. Thanks for the all the feedback.

Old 06-25-2011, 03:12 PM

444 posts, read 1,351,676 times
NM 26 is two-lane and almost completely flat, save for some rolling hills. I don't understand where you're getting the idea that it's mountainous. I-25 is much hillier, but it's nothing like the Rockies or anything.

If you're worried about being out of cell phone range, then you should stick to the interstates, because they have the most developed rural coverage.

If I were going to North Carolina and wanted to stick to interstates, I would take I-10 to I-20, then follow I-20 all the way out to either I-85 or 95. It depends on where in NC, I guess, but I-40 does add mileage. The only problem is Atlanta. Atlanta sucks in many ways, and traffic is one of those ways. You can get around that though.

Old 06-25-2011, 10:54 PM

I didn't see the 20 route/85. Familiar with 95 though. Idea that it's mountainous -- didn't know, how hilly is hilly. My earlier post mentioned I drove through the mountains to get to Tucson -- 60 or 70 or both -- I forget. There were some very steep inclines and quite a bit of winding with no cell phone service. My little car with weight was struggling and it was taxing, esp. when heat is worse now. Thanks on 26 info.

Old 06-26-2011, 08:22 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,691,987 times
I took I-10 from Tucson to Florida and back twice last year and it was a good drive. The only problems being Huston and San Antonio.

Old 06-26-2011, 09:01 AM

461 posts, read 1,313,629 times
Cassie, I don't think you are going to find the perfect route. This country is big and there will be miles of "nothing" at times, no matter what route you take. Your best bet is to stick with major interstates (I-10) where DPS is constantly patrolling and there are many other vehicles. I-10 is definitely NOT less populated. It is a major route across the U.S. Coatimundi is right...better cell coverage along interstates. As soon as you are out of AZ, you will be out of the big hills/mountains/desert. Keep in mind it is only 5 hours to El Paso. There are plenty of gas stations, etc. along the way. I'm a worry-wart and I had NO problems finding one. At the time, I was driving a very small and old car and felt I-10 was the safest in case I broke down. Perhaps it would make you feel better to research and print out a list of where to stop along the way. Also, maybe join AAA so in case you have a problem, they will help? Maybe try to talk a friend into riding out with you and flying back? Good luck!

Old 06-26-2011, 02:10 PM

351 posts, read 975,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coatimundi View Post
If I were going to North Carolina and wanted to stick to interstates, I would take I-10 to I-20, then follow I-20 all the way out to either I-85 or 95. It depends on where in NC, I guess, but I-40 does add mileage. The only problem is Atlanta. Atlanta sucks in many ways, and traffic is one of those ways. You can get around that though.
Yup... I10->I20->I85 is the fastest route with the fewest natural obstacles. You can drive 85 mph most of the way through the endless expanses of Texas which will speed up your trip significantly. Expect pure driving boredom on some of that route. The only thing to avoid is rush hour traffic in cities like El Paso, Dallas/Ft Worth and Atlanta. Aside from that, it is smooth sailing. Even Google recommends that route.

Old 06-26-2011, 02:28 PM

Is I20 more populated with more traffic than I40 outside of the cities? Are there more rest areas and gas stations? The weather has been hot, and staying south is hotter. It's hot all over. I wish it was the fall. Miss the trees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson