U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-03-2011, 01:39 AM

37 posts, read 39,419 times

Advertisements

So, we've been here a few weeks...the first couple of weeks we didn't see any scorpions...now we've had about 7 on and around our house in the past week. I'm ok since they are still staying outside but with a toddler I'm starting to get a little nervous. We'd like to have someone come and spray or uhhhh do whatever it takes to at least keep them at bay a bit (we did try some generic Home Depot kind of spray ourselves but clearly it's not working!). Who do you all recommend? I know we are in Arizona, and we are going to have scorpions and I accept that but coming face to face with a few every day is starting to really freak me out. We are kind of living out in the boonies so I'm sure that has a lot to do with the issue (most of the folks I work with have lived here for 10-20 years and have never even seen one). We have at least 11 more months here before we can look for something in a more populated less scorpion infected area. I'm just wondering if anybody knows a good company that can help! P.S. Thank you all for all of your input over the past few months, it's been very helpful!
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2011, 09:03 AM

101 posts, read 125,580 times
Scorpions are hit or miss around here. I've had family that has lived here for over 25 years and have never seen a single one near or in thier home.

When we moved here 6 years ago the home we rented for a few years would get them very regularly, approx. 1 a month. However, neighbors just 3 houses away on the same side of the street never had any.

We now live completely on the otherside of town and we haven't seen any here (knock on wood) but friends across the street have found a couple.

I have a young daughter so I know how you feel in regards to your toddlers safety. So what we did was ordered the strongest pest control spray online (sorry the hubby is still sleeping and I don't recall the name but it's the strongest stuff they will sell to a non-professional) and we would spray every 3 months. We also put mesh in every vent to keep them from dropping in.

I wish you luck with your pest problem.

Old 07-03-2011, 10:09 AM

46 posts, read 93,165 times
Get some "diatomaceous earth", place it outside all around the house. It will get into their bodies and dehydrate them. Use regular pest control to kill their food source, check leaking water, keep food in storage, etc. Have some spray in a pump ready, put a small wet rug, burlap sack, something wet out at night by your home. Early in the morning lift it up and you will see a bunch. Spray them or torch them, smack them, just something to kill the ones you find. Do this every night until you don't find anymore. I find this works better than black lighting them. Every week place it in a different spot outside by the home.
Get a indoor cat they will find it before you and either kill it or at least let you know where it is so you can. Cats can be more than just pets. Useful little bug catchers.
Try not to worry that much, the stings aren't really that bad unless your allergic or something. A lot of kids get them and are fine. Their rep is worse than their sting.

Old 07-03-2011, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenmar1024 View Post
Scorpions are hit or miss around here. I've had family that has lived here for over 25 years and have never seen a single one near or in thier home.

When we moved here 6 years ago the home we rented for a few years would get them very regularly, approx. 1 a month. However, neighbors just 3 houses away on the same side of the street never had any.

We now live completely on the otherside of town and we haven't seen any here (knock on wood) but friends across the street have found a couple.

I have a young daughter so I know how you feel in regards to your toddlers safety. So what we did was ordered the strongest pest control spray online (sorry the hubby is still sleeping and I don't recall the name but it's the strongest stuff they will sell to a non-professional) and we would spray every 3 months. We also put mesh in every vent to keep them from dropping in.

I wish you luck with your pest problem.
Thank you I think we are looking for them too much. I'm going to check to make sure the vents are all covered!!

Old 07-03-2011, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hank c. View Post
Get some "diatomaceous earth", place it outside all around the house. It will get into their bodies and dehydrate them. Use regular pest control to kill their food source, check leaking water, keep food in storage, etc. Have some spray in a pump ready, put a small wet rug, burlap sack, something wet out at night by your home. Early in the morning lift it up and you will see a bunch. Spray them or torch them, smack them, just something to kill the ones you find. Do this every night until you don't find anymore. I find this works better than black lighting them. Every week place it in a different spot outside by the home.
Get a indoor cat they will find it before you and either kill it or at least let you know where it is so you can. Cats can be more than just pets. Useful little bug catchers.
Try not to worry that much, the stings aren't really that bad unless your allergic or something. A lot of kids get them and are fine. Their rep is worse than their sting.
Thanks for the info, I'm going to look into the diatomaceous earth. Sounds kind of like a mean way to go but when it comes down to my baby vs. a scorpion I'll do what it takes! I like the idea of the wet sack too, kinda creepy but I'll see if my husband will dare to do that because I would probably not be able to lift the sack up Hmmm....maybe I could put it right behind the car and just run it over a lot in the morning LOL Oh, and yep, we have two cats and two dogs so I hope with the 4 of them around they will catch whatever does makes it way in!!

Old 07-03-2011, 01:08 PM

3,394 posts, read 3,467,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdi77 View Post
Thanks for the info, I'm going to look into the diatomaceous earth. Sounds kind of like a mean way to go but when it comes down to my baby vs. a scorpion I'll do what it takes!
I've had success using diatomaceous earth mixed with boric acid. I also like that it's not toxic to pets.

Old 03-18-2012, 12:54 PM

1 posts, read 2,360 times
A very fast way to kill these little things is carburetor cleaner. May not smell so good but trust me, within 60 second this scorpion will cook up and freeze. Then pick up with dust pan and dispose carefully. you don't want to step on scorpions because they carry baby eggs on there back,which can still live on even after you step on them. scorpions travel in pairs...if you find one, there probably is another not far away. You an pick up a can of carburetor cleaner at any auto parts store or Walmart. This is the best and fastest, most effective way I found to kill scorpions that are in your house or around the house. Carburetor cleaner comes in a spray can and comes with a straw. very flammable, so keep away from any open flames or electricity. hope this info is helpful

A JAY.

Old 03-18-2012, 02:32 PM

4,584 posts, read 1,681,062 times
When I lived on the west side (Rancho del Cerro) I averaged one a day in the house when I first moved into new construction. After a while they sort of dwindled away. As mentioned, we are in the scorpions' habitat, and in fact create a place they like to come into. A few additional items:

- Since scorpions can squeeze through really small places, look at door jambs and threshholds. Easy access. Same for weep holes on your windows, if you have them.

- The use of DE is a great non-toxic but often slow-acting remedy. I had great success with Sevin dust. However, that may not be a good idea with a toddler due to its toxicity. The use of liquids which dry up is an exercise in futility. Scorpions usually travel above the residue.

- Don't smash a scorpion on the wall with a shoe or rolled up anything. It will stain. It will splat. Really messy. I used (and still use) packing tape or duct tape. Lay it down over the offending beast until it adheres and carefully move it to a smooth surface where you can do with it what you like. Anymore I just fold the tape over, encasing the bug inside, and squash away. (We have them here in SW OK, also.) Or use a good pair of kitchen tongs and carry it to the toilet. They sink rapidly.

I wouldn't use carb cleaner in enclosed places... it's highly flammable. Maybe mass flow sensor cleaner or electrical contact cleaner, but still flammable.

Last edited by SluggoF16; 03-18-2012 at 02:47 PM..

Old 03-19-2012, 01:28 AM
Status: "Time it was and what a time it was, it was." (set 14 days ago)

3,601 posts, read 3,274,342 times
I live in a 2nd floor condo in Oro Valley, up against the Catalinas. I've been here 4 years, the last tow permanently. We had no scorpions when we snowbirded, but last year, our first full summer, the main floor units had tons of them. They were all over the outsides of the entry doors to the units, under the doormats, and on the walls. A few climbed up to my balcony and on the walls, but I was able to spray them before they got in the house.

What I seem to have a lot of are sewer cockroaches. they'll come up my toilets, bathtubs and bathroom sinks. Not so much the kitchen sinks as we use them all the time.

We also had vinegaroons like crazy last year as well. They're fairly harmless, but they're very scorpion looking.

The crane flies are out already (those things that look like giant mosquitoes) when we didn't have any last year (maybe the Feb freeze killed them off last year). They're harmless, won't bite, don't do anything worthwhile that I can see, but they tend to scarepeople who think they're killer mosquitoes.

We have had tarantulas around in the grassy areas, and had a huge black widow in the garage. I think I used a half a gallon of Raid on her, and she withered up and died. Fortunately.

The things I store in the garage, I keep in big Rubbermaid tubs with tight fitting lids. I did get scorpions and cockroaches in my cardboard boxes of things, but not since I switched to the plastic bins.

As it heats up, the bigger, uglier bugs start coming out.....

Old 03-19-2012, 06:13 AM

5,040 posts, read 3,824,946 times
Crane flies! Thanks for mentioning them, Marcy. I had no idea what they were called until I looked it up after reading your post. I've been seeing a whole bunch of them lately. I suppose I should be grateful that's all I've been seeing much of lately.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson