Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2011, 03:06 PM

344 posts, read 642,687 times

Advertisements

I moved to Tucson in 1955 and was in the 8th grade. I saw Tucson grow through the 50's then in the Army, then The UA graduating in 66 then the Army again and have since lived in much of AZ settling in S Vista.
Those of us left in my H S class meet weekly and discuss our lives.
The topic comes up often about how life was in Tucson in the 50's.
So I thought I'd list a few things.

The Fox and Paramount had matinees every Saturday.
Johnnies on Speedway was the 'Drive In' to go to.
KTKT was 'the' radio station. Frank Kalil was 'the' DJ.
I could walk at night from the Fox to my home on Drachman and feel safe.
Drive in Theaters included the Prince Road and the Midway.
O'Rielly's was on 4th or in that area.
Speedway ended at Craycoft. We used to wonder why steetsigne had been placed on dirt roads farther out.
We used to go on hikes with our .22 rifles to Pantano wash, Pontotac Road, and past River Road.
The end of Campbell was the local makeout spot.
There were 2-then 3 TV stations with KGUN being the last of the big 3.
When we got cars, cruising Speedway was the thing.
Restaurants were the Club 21, Casa Molina, and one on Speedway and Stone that I can't remember. (Of course there were others but these are the ones my family went to.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2011, 12:23 AM

4,922 posts, read 8,569,659 times
Fun information! I can picture some of those areas, and it's hard to imagine them back then as they are so different now. Thanks for that great "walk down memory lane".

Old 07-06-2011, 12:05 PM

10 posts, read 31,701 times
Did the Hotel Congress figure into your lives at all?

Old 07-14-2011, 03:43 PM

In the bar lots of times.

Old 07-14-2011, 09:43 PM

55 posts, read 141,886 times
Thank you for this.

Old 07-16-2011, 05:00 PM

My H S friends meet on Wednesdays and we came up with a few more.
The Fairgrounds were on South 6th where the Rodeo grounds were also.
The restaurant I was thinking of was the Monte Vista and served food 24 hours a day. It was on Speedway and Oracle.
Afternoon Channel 13 had Marshall someone or another and he had kids as guests every weekday.
From WW2 to 1970 or so married students lived in Quanset Village which was where the UA Hospital is now.
Nick DeGrazia was a classmate of ours and we used to hike out to his Dad's ranch on Pontatoc Rd.
If you think of questions, ask me.

Old 08-12-2011, 04:31 PM

Hi, we had another lunch together and we talked about restaurents that were in Tucson in 1959.
The Lucky Wishbone on Campbell and Copper or Silver.
The Club 21. A group of WW2 pilots who had settled in Tucson used to have a weekly gathering there.
Casa Molina on Speedway, if you go to the round room you will see a advertisement for a bullfighter Diego O'Bolger. He is one of our meeting fellows and did fight for 25 years as a Matador. To us he is Jim Bolger former Salpointe Q B who beat THS for the first time. :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson