U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2007, 06:10 PM
slm slm started this thread

14 posts, read 71,271 times

Advertisements

I am relocating to that area soon, and just got a job transfer, any information about the area would be appreciated. I know its a small town, 20 mi from Tucson off Rt. 10, I was out there in June but didnt stop in Vail. How close to shopping, restaruants, nearby apartments, anything? I also have been looking at the Hilands apts. and Copperhill apts. in Tucson...any info on those?? PLEASE someone respond. Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2007, 08:08 PM

42,837 posts, read 78,854,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slm View Post
I am relocating to that area soon, and just got a job transfer, any information about the area would be appreciated. I know its a small town, 20 mi from Tucson off Rt. 10, I was out there in June but didnt stop in Vail. How close to shopping, restaruants, nearby apartments, anything? I also have been looking at the Hilands apts. and Copperhill apts. in Tucson...any info on those?? PLEASE someone respond. Thanks!!
Don't know much, but since you're desperate... On the other hand, if I say something wrong, there's a good chance to get more responses.

I've been to Vail only twice, last time would be about 2 years ago. It's not a town per se, just another bedroom community of Tucson. I'm kind of curious why you'd choose to live there exactly because obviously the job cannot be there. It's nice and quiet, surrounded by natural desert, pretty affluent. The school district is one of the best if it matters to you. As far I know, there's still no other way into town other than I-10 and Old Spanish Trail, which is a two-lane road, pretty busy lately with Vail growing. A railroad is crossing it, so you can wait quite some time with these long trains. Last time I was there, there was nothing else but a gas station and a convenience store. I believe I read lately that a shopping center is either open or is being built. There are big plans for the area in the future, but only God knows if they will materialize in the current mess of a market: Passages of Tucson. Unless this new shopping center opened (and I don't know if it includes a grocery store), the closest shopping would be at Old Spanish Trail and 22nd St. There are no apartments in Vail that I'm aware of.

Old 08-09-2007, 08:15 PM

Default the other chance for shopping

Not sure if it's actually closer, but you can get on I-10 West and get off at Houghton Rd. There's a good-size strip mall at Houghton Rd. and Rita Rd. anchored by Fry's (grocery). Another shopping center is being built right now at Houghton and Valencia. I hear there will be Kohl's there, but I'm not sure. There are rumors about Trader Joe's coming somewhere by Civano - Houghton, between Valencia and Irvington. All of these options would be still quite out of the way, though. Probably would work better on weekends. Otherwise you could just do your shopping on the way back from town.

Old 08-10-2007, 04:25 PM
slm slm started this thread

14 posts, read 71,271 times
sierraAZ, thanks for the information..actually I plan on living in Tucson and driving to Vail..20 miles??? ( its a government job transfer), and oh, I hate trains!! I was trying to find some apartments between those 2 cities, and have found a couple nice ones in Tucson. thanks again.

Old 08-10-2007, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slm View Post
sierraAZ, thanks for the information..actually I plan on living in Tucson and driving to Vail..20 miles??? ( its a government job transfer), and oh, I hate trains!! I was trying to find some apartments between those 2 cities, and have found a couple nice ones in Tucson. thanks again.
Sure. Well, if the job is in Vail, then your best bet probably would be to find a place to live close to I-10. That way you can avoid the surface streets completely for your daily commute. Vail is very close to the freeway. The other option would be to live somewhere closer to Old Spanish & 22nd. There are 2 fairly decent and fairly new (read paper-thin walls) apartment complexes on Harrison north of this intersection.

Since the rents in Tucson used to be pretty reasonable until recently, nobody cared to build apartment complexes. As a matter of fact, in the middle of the housing bubble in '05 and even in '06, a lot of the somewhat decent complexes in the North and Northeast part of town were converted to condos, which additionally shrunk the rental market. Generally, among the apartments in town the choice is "which one sucks the least"... You can check their ratings here: Apartment Ratings - Apartments for Rent with Ratings and Reviews from Actual Renters. Most buildings are old and run down. The few newer ones have paper-thin walls... The biggest problem is car theft and/or drug activities. Try to stay North of 22nd St, preferably on or North of Broadway. Apartment complexes change hands often and things can go uphill or downhill quickly, but the general trend would be downhill. Check the recent ratings. I would stay way from any HSL property. The bad news is about half of them are... They keep changing names, too, so you can't track their bad reviews. Central town is a bit iffy - can be OK or not... You have to be there to get a feel of your surroundings. Stay away from Grant & Alvernon. Never, ever, go any close to 29th St if it's not at least East of Kolb. Better stay East of Swan. Check these crime maps, too: TPD Crime Stats Oh, yeah, don't get anywhere near Oracle and Miracle Mile, South and Southwest. You'll figure that out after seeing the maps.

Now that we're experiencing a housing bust like the rest of the country, even though hopefully not to the same extend, a lot of private properties are for rent. You can check those on craigslist. Rita Ranch is in a quite desperate foreclosure situation and a lot of houses are for rent, if you'd consider a house. It's very close to Vail, but it's kind of unsettling because the owner may decide to kick you out at any given time or go into foreclosure... There are most likely some houses for rent in Mesquite Ranch and Sierra Morado, I'd imagine. Also in Civano, but it's pricey. If you ask me, I'd stay on the East and Southeast side, but I may be biased. It's the middle ground... not shabby and not fancy. I hate traffic on the Northwest side.

Can't tell you anything about the mileage... It all depends on what area you choose. Tucson is pretty spread-out. Don't know what you're used to.

Good luck!

Old 10-02-2007, 07:59 PM

2 posts, read 10,129 times
Default rancho sahuarita

Why do you think a lot homes are for sale in Rancho! Is it a nice area?

Old 10-03-2007, 10:17 AM

8 posts, read 36,724 times
I've lived in Vail as a homeowner for about the last five years. When I moved out here, by far most people who picked this area chose it because they have horses or wanted at least an acre of land. Vail has grown leaps and bounds, and now there are lots of cookie-cutter homes with no land, but they tend to be high in price. The market has dropped a lot lately, so prices are lower now, but you could still expect to pay a premium for Rancho Del Lago, or any of the other subdivisions. It is still quieter than Tucson, but the roads have not been improved to match the growth, so getting around at busy times can be a real test of patience and sanity. There are no apartments in "Vail," which is not an official town (it doesn't have any city limits, etc). Since it has grown so much, there is a Safeway about to be built, there is a nice restaraunt, a fast food joint and a convenience store located pretty centrally in what most of us would consider to be Vail.

Hope this helps!

Old 10-03-2007, 10:21 AM

8 posts, read 36,724 times
Tappahana,

I think a lot of homes are for sale in Rancho del Lago because the market is so poor right now. A potential homebuyer has the choice of many, many different homes. Rancho del Lago are nice homes, although they are crammed together just like Rita Ranch or any of the other new housing developments. I have never really been able to understand why someone who doesn't want land would move out to Vail and commute every day, unless it's because of the wonderful schools. However, Vail has grown so much now that it's not at all like living out in the country for most residents.

Old 10-12-2007, 08:22 PM

2 posts, read 12,711 times
Default vail

Vail, it is growing very quickly! There are lots of new shops and places to eat. I actully have a place for rent right outside of vail. probably 2 minutes away. Let me know if u are interested.

Nikkie21joe@gmail.com

Old 12-06-2007, 04:46 PM

8 posts, read 33,240 times
I have lived in the Vail (Corona de Tucson) area for the past two years. It is a great, Safe area to bring up kids. The school districts are better than the rest of Tucson and the sky at night is absolutely awesome. It is about 4 degrees cooler than Tucson however, the nearest store is about 10 miles away. So, if you have a reliable car its a great place to live
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or