Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2011, 10:41 PM

190 posts, read 618,271 times

Advertisements

Ok, been here 2-3 months and virtually no bugs....Now...wow! First termites or flying ants, now these beetles......these things are all over the place. We can't go outside and enjoy the good nights without being attacked.

The pic doesn't really show the entire picture but I chose this one becasue it shows the beetles the best. There are atleast 50 of these on our patio door, the termites/flying ants were even worse. What is next? Will this seige ever end?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2011, 11:23 PM

683 posts, read 2,651,450 times
It's the rain. The desert comes alive when it rains. There's a lot of critters and plants that lay dormant until the rain comes. Palo Verde Beetles come out of the ground every year about the same time. Have you become aquainted with the Colorado River Toad?

Old 07-10-2011, 11:38 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,701,421 times
No bugs around here, Mike.

Possibly they prefer you because you're from New Hampshire.

! ! ! ! ! !

Old 07-11-2011, 12:45 AM

4,922 posts, read 8,573,613 times
I'm also in OV, Mike, and I've had three Palo Verde Root Borer beetles outside my door. These are so disgusting--about 4+" long, thick, shiny black...just gross . Fortunately, the monsoon rain yesterday washed them out to the street, I think, hope...also have had cockroaches trying to get in, a couple of tarantulas in the grass (saw on three different nights, so could be just one tarantula, don't know), but no termites, and no toads close by yet. My son saw one and steered clear of it on his way to work.

Old 07-11-2011, 07:15 AM

7 posts, read 14,582 times
welcome to the monsoon

Old 07-11-2011, 07:58 AM

55 posts, read 141,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_ View Post
Ok, been here 2-3 months and virtually no bugs....Now...wow! First termites or flying ants, now these beetles......these things are all over the place. We can't go outside and enjoy the good nights without being attacked.

The pic doesn't really show the entire picture but I chose this one becasue it shows the beetles the best. There are atleast 50 of these on our patio door, the termites/flying ants were even worse. What is next? Will this seige ever end?
I hear you. Same thing on this side (NW). Termites swarming the yard, giant black beetles, and this is WITH an active pest control contract. Thankfully no ants.

Old 07-11-2011, 09:47 AM

138 posts, read 269,750 times
Hi everyone. Mike told me there were no bugs so we decided to move here, lol. I think he said that so I would move.... How do we get the lizards in our yard to eat them????? Is there anything as wild lizard food? I would love the lizards in my yard. The frog.... isn't their bite dangerous? So new to all of this, but nights are beautiful here.

Old 07-11-2011, 09:51 AM

3,391 posts, read 7,162,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helena and mike View Post
Hi everyone. Mike told me there were no bugs so we decided to move here, lol. I think he said that so I would move.... How do we get the lizards in our yard to eat them????? Is there anything as wild lizard food? I would love the lizards in my yard. The frog.... isn't their bite dangerous? So new to all of this, but nights are beautiful here.
Lizards can only gobble up just so much. Glad you appreciate them. When I first moved to AZ, I was captivated by the lizards running along the brick walls, and doing little "push-ups" on the tops of the block walls.

I'm not familiar with desert toads, but I don't think they're a major threat.

Old 07-11-2011, 10:21 AM

8,685 posts, read 16,851,038 times
In the past couple of nights we have had 4 of the Sonoran toads enter the dog part of the yard which were "relocated." If a dog mouths them or get squirted by the toxin in eyes, nose,or mouth, it can be deadly. Last night found a large tarantula. I wondered why we had the tarantula hawks and no tarantualas, I will not wonder again

Sonoran Desert Toad (Bufo alvarius)

Old 07-11-2011, 11:04 AM

3,391 posts, read 7,162,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grannysroost View Post
In the past couple of nights we have had 4 of the Sonoran toads enter the dog part of the yard which were "relocated." If a dog mouths them or get squirted by the toxin in eyes, nose,or mouth, it can be deadly. Last night found a large tarantula. I wondered why we had the tarantula hawks and no tarantualas, I will not wonder again

Sonoran Desert Toad (Bufo alvarius)
I knew they secreted a toxin, but didn't realize they were so plentiful, nor that the toxin was actually lethal. Yikes!

Personally, I like tarantulas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson