Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 10:06 AM

138 posts, read 269,696 times

Advertisements

That is why Mike and I are renting a home before buying. We know nothing of the area and when we buy we want to make sure that it will be a place where we and our animals will be happy. Hey the chickens will let you know when there is a hawk around, they make tons of noise to let everyone know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2011, 10:32 AM

119 posts, read 293,086 times
"read the CCRs very carefully before committing" I would say reading them 2-3 times as well as getting your lawyer to read them as well is a SMART IDEA!. Who knows the kind of CRAZY things they might toss in those rules! I read one on line yesterday that included NO OVER WEIGHT PETS!, this looks a little extreme but it couldn't hurt to study those documents with a magnifying glass! (my wife's chiwawa is 15 pounds over weight)

Old 07-12-2011, 10:33 AM

3,391 posts, read 7,160,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesecurd View Post
I read one on line yesterday that included NO OVER WEIGHT PETS!, this looks a little extreme but it couldn't hurt to study those documents with a magnifying glass!
In that case, my yellow Lab would be a deal breaker.

Old 07-12-2011, 10:38 AM

9,601 posts, read 31,695,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helena and mike View Post
That is why Mike and I are renting a home before buying. We know nothing of the area and when we buy we want to make sure that it will be a place where we and our animals will be happy. Hey the chickens will let you know when there is a hawk around, they make tons of noise to let everyone know.
I have absolutely nothing against chickens, Helene . . .

However, I would never want to live next door to them.

Old 07-12-2011, 11:49 PM

4,922 posts, read 8,571,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenmar1024 View Post
Our HOA is also not very responsive to complaints either. We have a neighbor who has a horse trailer out in his driveway for over 3 months. Good friends of ours that live across the street has complained no less than 3 times and the trailer is still there.
I don't know how your HOA works, but with ours, if they receive a complaint, they write the owner (and tenant if applicable) via certified mail, and the owner/tenant has 45 days to comply. If, after 45 days, the owner/tenant is still not in compliance, they receive a second notice via certified mail with another 45 days to comply. THEN, if there's still no compliance, they are fined up to $500.00 (depending on the infraction). They have 30 days to pay the fine AND comply. If they don't, then it's turned over to legal, and that can take another 90-120 days. So, all told, it could take 240 days, or 8 months, for a resolution to the problem. It's also in our CCR's that the violator will pay legal fees for any action brought against them.

We've been lucky that the 3 or 4 non-compliance reports we've had were brought into compliance almost immediately upon first notice. Also, we're a condo complex, and our monthly dues include our water bill, and generally runs about $150.00 a month, but we have a pool, hot tub, outdoor grills and picnic area, three excercise rooms, a conference center, business center, landscaping and maintenance, pest control, and free trash and recycling. So, I think we get a lot for our money.

Old 07-13-2011, 01:55 AM

8,869 posts, read 16,316,053 times
I appreciate my HOA. When I leave my development and see what many Tucsonans without benefit of one think is appropriate to do with their property, I'm glad I live where I can be pretty sure of what will be going on -- or not going on -- next door to me. I totally understand why many libertarian Arizonans get apoplectic at the mere mention of HOAs, but once in awhile they might want to ask themselves, "If HOAs are so terrible, why are so many people voluntarily living with one?"

Old 07-13-2011, 03:07 AM

3,438 posts, read 4,452,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
I appreciate my HOA. When I leave my development and see what many Tucsonans without benefit of one think is appropriate to do with their property, I'm glad I live where I can be pretty sure of what will be going on -- or not going on -- next door to me. I totally understand why many libertarian Arizonans get apoplectic at the mere mention of HOAs, but once in awhile they might want to ask themselves, "If HOAs are so terrible, why are so many people voluntarily living with one?"
1. HOAs do not offer a benefit to the involuntary members. That's why the membership is involuntary.
2. HOAs are a perpetual liability not an asset
3. The logic that people "voluntarily choose" to have housing burdened by "involuntary membership" is flawed at best.
4. Local government out there and everywhere else has also been mandating all new development to be HOA-burdened for quite some time. For a significant percentage of the population, choice is a myth. The other myths ("preserve property values", "democracy", etc.) are discovered shortly after purchasing property burdened by one.

Do not confuse numerosity with popularity. Numerosity does not equate to popularity regardless of whether you are talking about cockroaches, epidemics, or HOAs.

Old 07-13-2011, 10:23 AM

9,601 posts, read 31,695,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenmar1024 View Post
My Hubby and I recently purchased a home that is still considered a rural property but is located in a very small community.

We have an HOA and we dislike it. We pay $40 per month for what I feel is for nothing more than appearance police. They don't offer anything, they don't clean the streets, there is no community area (not even a small playground for kids) they don't even offer discounts for garbage pick up.

Our HOA is also not very responsive to complaints either. We have a neighbor who has a horse trailer out in his driveway for over 3 months. Good friends of ours that live across the street has complained no less than 3 times and the trailer is still there.

We are also displeased that they wont let us have a couple of Chickens, not Roosters but Hens...I thought we were in a rural area.../sigh
Just a few questions, Jenmar . . .

Have you attended an HOA Board Meeting to determine where and/or how your dues are being spent? If, as you state, they are doing nothing, the $480 per home annually must be creating quite a sizable reserve fund. Possibly your "do nothing" dues need to be adjusted once the fund reaches a certain level.

As for the Horse Trailer . . . are you certain it a violation of the CC&R's? Also, is it a violation of Town, City (if you are within Tucson City Limits) or County Zoning? Try contacting your County Supervisor and if it is in violation, it will be ticketed and impounded within 48 to 72 hours.

With all due respect, if I were in your position, rather than the "Po Me" approach, I would get involved. I became a Board Member because I wanted answers . . . definitely not to scam or punish my neighbors.

Good Luck

Old 07-13-2011, 03:20 PM

3,609 posts, read 7,919,691 times
> Anyone have any HOA horror stories?

Wrong question. You want to know whether most people are happy with their HOA. Unfortunately you can't get a reliable answer to that as the unhappy are far more likely to be vocal. And you can't tell either from the prevalence of HOAs, as some unhappy people might just choose to deal with it.

You should for the particular association you are interested in (1) read the CC&Rs, understand them, and accept that you will have to live with them and (2) find out as much as you can about that particular association.

Old 07-13-2011, 03:21 PM

3,609 posts, read 7,919,691 times
> 3. The logic that people "voluntarily choose" to have housing burdened by "involuntary membership" is flawed at best.

Could you point out exactly how this logic is flawed? Seems to me that everyone in an HOA has signed a contract, and not under compulsion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
View detailed profiles of: