U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-12-2011, 11:46 PM

138 posts, read 118,923 times

Advertisements

hi everyone. What a night we had. First I thought I would take the dogs and meet Mike at work (he only works 1/2 mile away), and thinking he would bring us home. Well he had his bike, lol. So I got on with the 2 dogs (yes small ones, lol) and we rode home, the dogs loved it, wonder what the people in other cars thought of this scene, so now I need to go by a trike for the dogs and myself. We dropped them off and just went for a ride, what a beautiful place Arizona is. We went through a tunnel that was cut in the mountain and then we stopped to take photos of the sun in the clouds, it was beautiful. As we stopped I noticed this little baby thing on the side of the road. Now being a animal love I had to go over and talk to it lol. It was going in and out of the holes and actually curious of me and i think playing with me, I believe that it was way to small to be away from his mom and think i should have brought it home lol. Can anyone tell me what it is and should i go back for it tomorrow lol Just kidding, sure it has a mom and I does not need me to rescue him. But darn he was the cutest little thing. check out the photos
Attached Thumbnails
what is this cute baby?-2011-07-12_18-06-05_41.jpg  
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2011, 12:07 AM

21 posts, read 18,468 times
it is cute it looks like a baby Meerkat not sure if they are native to Arizona awww this was a good picture thanks for sharing I would want to take him home lol.

Old 07-13-2011, 12:13 AM

Hey this might be a good thing was reading guess what their favorite food is! The scorpion!! It isn't that scorpion venom doesn't bother meerkats at all, as is commonly believed Instead, Meerkats have developed a technique which keeps them safe while allowing them to enjoy the tasty treat of a scorpion. They first bite off the tail of the scorpion, and then drag the scorpion's body through the sand to remove any traces of venom on the exoskeleton! Thus, they can eat scorpions without being bitten!

Old 07-13-2011, 12:26 AM

his nose is not the same as a prairie dog that is what gives it away

Old 07-13-2011, 12:30 AM

7,929 posts, read 15,942,097 times
Not sure exactly who he is, Helena . . . but he has lots of relatives around here, especially all along the Rillito Trail.

Old 07-13-2011, 12:30 AM

3,539 posts, read 3,143,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneCrazy View Post
Hey this might be a good thing was reading guess what their favorite food is! The scorpion!! It isn't that scorpion venom doesn't bother meerkats at all, as is commonly believed Instead, Meerkats have developed a technique which keeps them safe while allowing them to enjoy the tasty treat of a scorpion. They first bite off the tail of the scorpion, and then drag the scorpion's body through the sand to remove any traces of venom on the exoskeleton! Thus, they can eat scorpions without being bitten!
I want a meerkat. Now. Between the Palo Verde beetles, the dime sized brown beetles that are all over my front porch, and the scorpions that could be lurking out there, I need a meerkat...

Old 07-13-2011, 12:38 AM

683 posts, read 1,778,343 times
That's a round tailed ground squirrel. Cute little guys, I love seeing them when all the babies come out to play.

Someday you'll probably see a little guy that looks like a chipmunk. It's a Harris' antelope squirrel.

A rock squirrel is the one that looks most like the squirrels you've seen before.

Ground Squirrels

Old 07-13-2011, 12:56 AM

3,539 posts, read 3,143,340 times
We have a lot of the Harris's Antelope squirrel around my place. I'm up in the foothills and we have a pretty rocky, scrub landscape. I really did think they were chipmunks because in CO we had chipmunks, Golden Mantled squirrels and Marmots by the gazillions as our landscaping was Mt. Lemon like mountain "au naturel". (Summerhaven looks almost exactly like where I lived in CO) These AZ guys look just like chipmunks, but chipmunks make a noise like a "chip" constantly and carry their tails upright. In CO, they don't last too long each season as the fox enjoy them as appetizers...

Old 07-13-2011, 12:57 AM

190 posts, read 268,813 times
I want a Meerkat, they looked so cute at the Desert Museum.......the scorpions as food is just a benefit......they are so playful

Old 07-13-2011, 12:58 AM

138 posts, read 118,923 times
I see a chipmunk in my front yard everyday, okay a sort of looking chipmonk, lol. Must be the Harris antelope squirrel. So can we own a baby Meerkat? I dont think that this baby had any relatives around Bummer, he wanted to play with me and where was his sibblings and mother? He needed me, lol. He was really so adorable, I cant wait to take walks through the dessert and find more interesting things, what a wonderful world we live in. oh wait a minute, mike just found some photos that look just like what we seen, the Harris antelope squirrel. Do they live in holes in the ground? Funny when I first seen it I said it looked like a baby chipmunk..... but they still need a home when there is no mom around right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson