Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2011, 04:13 PM

3 posts, read 14,052 times

Advertisements

Hello,

New to forum. Soon to be moving to Tucson from Midwest(yes, another one! lol). I have visited there a few times and love it. I hope I'm not too annoying with my (inane) questions.

I have a chihuahua and a blue heeler mix. In the midwest, other than an occasional coyote I don't have much to worry about when they are outside exploring say from a poisonous creatures ect. I do however have the Chihuahua on a leash due to said coyote that's been roaming around.

I was wondering if dog/cat owners can inform me on what my dogs/cats may encounter in a Tucson yard and how to best protect them. I guess I'm most curious/worried about poisonous animals/snakes/ect.

Thank you very much for any information. I'll have more questions to come.

Thanks!

Last edited by helenback; 10-05-2011 at 04:18 PM.. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2011, 11:25 PM

190 posts, read 617,768 times
We are not overly worried about the poisonous animals in regard to our chihuahuas more the hawks, owls, and bobcats. We bought a "play pen" with a roof. This is a 10' x 10' x 6' chain link kennel for our chihuahuas (also cat and tortoises).

This is not to say we are completely unconcerned about the poisonous critters (Helena got stung by a scorpion, and was scared to death by a rattler she was sneaking up on to take it's picture...lol (ok, she went wrong sneaking up on it....lol)).

When the dogs are out we are with them, when walking they are on a leash. We have taken them out in the desert, trying to teach them not to stick their noses in every hole in the ground (I did find a rattler curled up in one). Oh, just thought also look out for the javelinas....saw a couple when I was out walking the dogs once but, not since. I have been told they are dangerous and don't like dogs. Overall we were very worried about our dogs but, after being here for a while we are more comfortable that they are not always in danger....

Old 10-06-2011, 08:25 AM

605 posts, read 704,478 times
Will be moving there as well, but my husband was born and raised in Tucson and we've visited many times.

Yes, definitely you CANNOT leave your small pets unattended out in the open. The hawks and other birds of prey will see them as an easy grab.

Snakes (rattlesnakes), scorpions, bobcats are also a big danger. Tucson is teeming with wildlife (which is a GOOD thing imo). You just gotta go out with your animals if they are outside in a confined area, or like the above poster mentioned, build some sort of enclosure - though snakes and scorpions can still be a problem.

Old 10-06-2011, 12:52 PM

44 posts, read 89,959 times
My poor Golden Retriever got into a bunch of cholla (they call them "jumping cholla" because they cling to your feet as you walk along). We had been walking along a dirt road in the desert and there were cholla along the edge. She got one on her paw. She of course reached down with her mouth to get it off. They can be a lime-sized ball of spines. Needless to say, they were then everywhere, down her mouth, all over her face, both feet and as she struggled, picked up more. We ended up with an emergency vet visit and $300 later she was fine.

They can pick up cactus spines just about anywhere so check their feet often. We keep our two cats inside. Between the coyotes, birds of prey and (believe it or not) mountain lions in our area, we don't take any chances. (Our son was jogging along a wash at dawn one morning and saw a mountain lion scale an 8 foot wall into someone's back yard. He finished his run at a good clip that day!)

Be safe and welcome to the wild west! LOL

Old 10-06-2011, 11:41 PM

Thanks for the advice. I kinda figured I'd have to keep an eye on them. I'm a paranoid pet mom anyway. I thought maybe the stone walled yards might keep some creatures out. Of course it didn't occur to me that of course they can jump/crawl....duh. It's going to be interesting. I'm actually looking forward to seeing such diverse wildlife (from a distance...lol)

Old 10-06-2011, 11:55 PM

4,922 posts, read 8,568,915 times
It also depends on where in Tucson you live. If you're on the outskirts of Tucson, Marana, Oro Valley, Vail, etc., you're going to see more "wildlife" than you will in mid-town. Coyotes are opportunistic and generally lazy, so they prefer trash cans and small rodents to family pets, but that doesn't mean if a pet is easy prey, they won't take it. Mountain lions will hunt anything that moves, including small children, joggers, bicyclists, etc. They should never be taken lightly. Rattlesnakes, scorpions and other biting critters are sometimes unavoidable as they are not stopped by fences. Raptors (hawks, eagles, etc.) will not hesitate to take a small dog. They routinely eat birds and rodents, so cats and small dogs aren't a challenge for them. There are classes all around Tucson that will teach your dog to avoid rattlesnakes, and it's highly recommended that if you keep dogs in a yard, you make sure they've been trained well in these classes.

It's never smart to let cats outside here. There are hawks, snakes (cats are curious), scorpions, lizards, and other critters that can cause a cat's demise, not to mention outdoor cats prey on our native birds.

To be safe, have your dog snake trained, keep your cats inside and be vigilant about native critters in your yard.

This guy was in the tree outside my BR window. He hangs out by the bird feeders and takes birds, as well as eyeing my Yorkie (who is an inside dog) and the neighbor's cat.

Last edited by Marcy1210; 10-07-2011 at 12:53 AM.. Reason: Added picture

Old 10-06-2011, 11:58 PM

351 posts, read 974,649 times
I don't have any pictures, but here is about all I've seen:

In the spring and fall I'll sometimes put my birds out on the back patio (inside a cage). I've had a couple of roadrunners come by and harrass them on occasion, but it doesn't get worse than that since the roadrunners cant get in the cage.

Also, a neighbors cat likes to sit in my back yard next to the fountain to stalk the mourning doves, hummingbirds, and the occasional gambel's quails. It's not exactly domestic vs. nature, but it's entertaining to watch. The cat is pretty fat and lazy, so he's not exactly nimble enough to catch anything.

Aside from the birds, lizards, very rare snakes, and lots of bugs, there really isn't much else to talk about if you are within the city limits. If you are on the outskirts near the mountains or near a large chunk of unoccupied land you will probably see a lot more action.

Old 10-07-2011, 12:19 AM

Thanks again. Great advice from all. I just wanted to mention that I don't and wouldn't allow my cats outdoors unless in an enclosure. Again, totally paranoid about that for their safety and other wildlife's safety. I stayed at a bed & breakfast there and the owner had a cool cat enclosure outside for the cats to hang out in during the day.

Old 10-07-2011, 12:51 AM

4,922 posts, read 8,568,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vjsoto View Post
Also, a neighbors cat likes to sit in my back yard next to the fountain to stalk the mourning doves, hummingbirds, and the occasional gambel's quails. It's not exactly domestic vs. nature, but it's entertaining to watch. The cat is pretty fat and lazy, so he's not exactly nimble enough to catch anything.
This would make me want to get my bb gun out of mothballs. A painful ping on the butt might make them think twice about my yard again....

I personally can't stand the doves. They poop and pee all over everything and are disgusting.

Old 10-07-2011, 05:57 AM

3,391 posts, read 7,158,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcy1210 View Post
This would make me want to get my bb gun out of mothballs. A painful ping on the butt might make them think twice about my yard again....

I personally can't stand the doves. They poop and pee all over everything and are disgusting.
I don't recommend shooting stray cats. BBs can and do become embedded in the flesh and can become infected. Even if you detest stray cats, etc., please don't harm them. I've cared for dogs and cats via rescue organizations that have been shot, set on fire, poisoned, and had firecrackers placed into their rectums. No creature deserves that.

Now, back to the topic.

I think the occasional snake or poisonous toad would be a more likely risk to your little ones. And the ever-vigilant hawks and other raptors. I like the idea of the "playpen" with roof for protection if your dogs will be out in your yard for any length of time. But it sounds as if you're already taking wise precautions now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson