U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2007, 12:39 AM

106 posts, read 291,140 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
That's true, with some exceptions.
That's true, look at Los Angeles. For as big as it is everyone still sits one person per car in tons of traffic all over that area...San Francisco is a little better with their BART system and buses/cabs. I love the European public transportation systems...you don't even need a car in most large cities there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2007, 11:54 AM

Location: Massachusetts-but someday soon hope to live part of year in Arizona, and part of the year in Mass
71 posts, read 229,353 times
Default re: public transportation in tucson?.:

Thanks (again) to all who've sent in (first or more) replies.:

what is the light rail? and when might it be available?

"that's true, with some exceptions.", what are the exceptions?

Old 09-01-2007, 12:52 PM

9,374 posts, read 26,566,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msGypsySolo View Post

Thanks (again) to all who've sent in (first or more) replies.:

what is the light rail? and when might it be available?

"that's true, with some exceptions.", what are the exceptions?

Sorry, GypsySolo . . . considering no Freeways except one that is only about five miles long and goes nowhere (very unique but basically useless), I would NOT hold my breath for a Light Rail System in Tucson.

As for the "with some exceptions" comment . . . I believe it was directed towards my comment concerning "limited" public transportation systems not being unique to Tucson but more of a routine "Out West".

Old 09-01-2007, 12:54 PM

683 posts, read 2,393,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msGypsySolo View Post

thanks everyone for the replies, with info, LINK, thoughts.
what do people who can't/don't drive
(for lack of car, or lack of driver's licencse or both)
(disabled, low income who can't afford to put/keep car on the road,
senior citizens who no longer drive) do for transportation, (if the bus systems don't work for them)?

Here's a few of the current options.......

Transit systems include:

Sun Tran owned and operated by the City of Tucson. Sun Tran services Tucson and other jurisdictions under an intergovernmental agreement. Sun Tran operates a network of 37 local and express bus routes using a fleet of 189 full-size buses. All vehicles are accessible to persons with disabilities and equipped with bike racks for multi-modal connections. The service runs seven days a week.

TICET Tucson Inner City Express Transit is a free downtown shuttle service run by the City of Tucson. The service operates to and from remote parking facilities. The service operates on three fixed routes Monday through Friday.

Van Tran a paratransit provider owned by the City of Tucson for elderly and disabled persons who qualify under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). Van Tran provides almost 400,000 passenger trips each year with a peak service fleet of 94 lift-equipped vans.

CatTran a free shuttle service that is owned and operated by the University of Arizona in the university area. Annually, CatTran provides about 500,000 passenger trips. The system has five fixed routes and operates a fleet of 17 ADA-accessible shuttles running Monday-Friday.

Coyote Run a transit service for elderly and disabled residents in the Town of Oro Valley which is owned and operated by Oro Valley. Residents, who are transportation dependent, must be 62 years of age and older to use the service and/or be eligible under the ADA.

Pima Rural Transit provides fixed route transit service to residents living in rural Pima County. The transit service connects with the Sun Tran system at major transfer centers. Four routes serve northwest Marana, Tucson Estates, the San Xavier area, and the towns of Sells and Ajo. The program is administered by Pima County Department of Transportation.

Pima Transit a door-to-door paratransit service provided by Pima County to disabled persons who live outside Tucson city limits, but within the metro area. Eligible riders include people six years of age and older who live within special needs transportation service areas or are ADA eligible. HandiCar is a private service that contracts with Pima County to offer this service.

Old Pueblo Trolley a private, nonprofit trolley system that connects the UA and 4th Avenue. Rio Nuevo plans are to connect the historic service to downtown. Service is provided Friday nights, Saturdays and Sundays. Annually, the trolley provides more than 25,000 passenger trips.

Bike/Pedestrian
Bicycling in the region has grown in popularity and use, both as an alternate mode of transportation and for recreation. Bicycles are permitted on all public roadways in the region except Interstates 10 and 19 in the metro area. Many local jurisdictions have policies with respect to developing a bicycle system.

Pedestrian facilities include sidewalks, crosswalks, multi-use paths and retrofitted bridges to enhance safety and accessibility for people walking, exercising or using wheelchairs.

Voters approved a new tax last year to improve the transportation system around Tucson. It's a long range project, but we're starting to see some improvements already. Some projects like the Grant Road corridor are still years away. They're just starting the studies that this city so loves to do. But bus service has already been improved with some new routes and longer hours. Construction of the modern streetcar line is part of the first phase and will provide transportation between the University of Arizona and Downtown Tucson.

So public transportation is getting better now and the RTA will be addressing some of the problems that plague this city. If you want to take a look at what is planned for the future, here's a link that can tell you more.

Home - Regional Transportation Authority

Old 09-01-2007, 08:44 PM

42,837 posts, read 78,880,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
Sorry, GypsySolo . . . considering no Freeways except one that is only about five miles long and goes nowhere (very unique but basically useless), I would NOT hold my breath for a Light Rail System in Tucson.

As for the "with some exceptions" comment . . . I believe it was directed towards my comment concerning "limited" public transportation systems not being unique to Tucson but more of a routine "Out West".
Yep. In addition to SF, Portland and Denver to some extend are also exceptions. Don't quite remember how it was in Seattle... didn't strike me as mass-transit heaven, though.

Old 09-01-2007, 08:46 PM

42,837 posts, read 78,880,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Bimmer View Post
That's true, look at Los Angeles. For as big as it is everyone still sits one person per car in tons of traffic all over that area...San Francisco is a little better with their BART system and buses/cabs. I love the European public transportation systems...you don't even need a car in most large cities there.
I'm from Europe. Tell me about it...

Well, of course everybody sits alone. What can you do?

Old 09-12-2007, 06:09 PM

Location: Massachusetts-but someday soon hope to live part of year in Arizona, and part of the year in Mass

thanks all.
I think next time I visit Arizona, I'll give the public transportation systems
in Tucson, Phoenix, etc some trial runs for myself a few times to get a feel for them ahead of time.

Old 09-12-2007, 09:52 PM

106 posts, read 291,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
I'm from Europe. Tell me about it...

Well, of course everybody sits alone. What can you do?
Welcome my European friend! It's great there!

Old 09-24-2007, 09:26 AM

sierraAZ

oic ok thanks, so what are those some exceptions?

can you clairify or elaborate some?

thanks.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or