Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2012, 09:31 PM

484 posts, read 970,029 times

Advertisements

I am looking at possibly coming back to Tucson this coming summer after having been gone since last summer.

Q: Anything new in Tucson? When I was there over x-mas, I saw the parking garage by the Fourth Ave. underpass finished. Anything else?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2012, 04:57 AM

191 posts, read 789,163 times
A: The parking garage by 4th ave. underpass is still finished

Old 01-18-2012, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acatalanb View Post
A: The parking garage by 4th ave. underpass is still finished
ok, here's something new ... a new 11 story student housing across El Centro (4th ave. underpass garage/complex) or in front of the Rialto is about to start construction. And I think there's going to be , yes, another student housing the next block across this building. More! the old Armory Park elderly housing will be replaced with a new , you guess it, student housing. Bids for the construction of new rails for the light rail project are undergoing.

There's supposed to be some retail activity on the first (and second?) floors of the new TEP building. Retail on the first floors of El Centro and another 3 floors for students(?) on top of that El Centro garage will be built.

A large student housing not far from El Centro (very close to 4th Ave.) is under construction.

A brand new elderly housing is currently under construction on the west side by the Mercado.

There's proposals to build 2-3 more 10+ story student housing right by the UA around west university area.

The city is looking to expand or improve traffic right by broadway rd close to downtown....

I'm sure I'm missing something...

Exciting times downtown.

fyi, there's a place called 'La Buena' on the SW corner of 4th Ave/22nd St that sells $3 pint menudo and $4 pint chili con carne (packed with meat). I have to put it in for some reason. Of course, don't forget about the best donut in town, Le Cave, at SW corner of 6th Ave/22nd st.

Last edited by acatalanb; 01-18-2012 at 07:37 AM..

Old 01-19-2012, 10:59 AM

@acatalanb: wow is UofA looking to push 60K students in there? What about this light rail? I do not understand where it is going. Lastly, I mostly eat vegetarian, but thanks on the tips.

Come on humor me people. I am missing Tucson right now.

Any winter storms: pics of the Catalinas? Javalina eating your prickle pear out front?

Old 01-19-2012, 03:32 PM

@robabeatle : the light rail runs between west downtown (mercado), 4th ave, UofA and UMC hospital. The rail path is 3.9 miles long. The Cushing St bridge is also currently being built over I-10. The light rail (plus sidewalks, bikes) will pass through this bridge (east-west). There was a sudden shortage of student housing close to the UA last few years.

....there will also be new construction probably at the end of this year for a 8.3 acre hotel/apt/retail complex between I-10 and the federal courthouse downtown. A bike/pedestrian bridge will also run through this complex going north-south.

btw, Le Cave bakery sells donuts for vegetarians.

Old 01-19-2012, 03:36 PM

1,024 posts, read 2,747,458 times
There is a new Gastro Pub out in Oro Valley, Noble Hops hundreds of beers to choose from. They opened last summer. My only complaint is it gets too busy! Sometimes can't get a seat without waiting.

Old 01-19-2012, 06:08 PM

GastroPub looks great!

Also, I am glad to hear about more bikeways being built as I am an avid biker.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
View detailed profiles of: