U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 04:43 PM

27 posts, read 22,178 times
Default Rural areas of Tucson,compared in discussion to other ares of the USA, temperament of citizens

Searched site with no direct answer or subject

I come from another state and I would like to know about Tucson AZ outlaying "rural" areas. I have used the satellite I can see somethings vaguely.

1. my question is: are there mostly housing clusters (suburbs) or are there places close to Tucson where for example-you dont see the neighbor's BMW by their mailbox yet you can reach town limits in say 15 minutes or so from a single home/rental in a rural setting?

2.To anyone who moved to Tucson/AZ from another state, can you tell me what the temperament is in general over all toward out of stater's? I am from great lakes area, is there a resentment in general toward out of staters?

3. How does Tucson/AZ compare to Midwest/Greatlakes for over all living IE: entertainment/nightlife/ local city and rural recreation?? excluding employment and wages?
good or bad is ok by me I want reality of it not a glossed over tourism point of view. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2012, 08:36 PM

3,310 posts, read 4,475,798 times
DJ....I know you've been very busy here trying to figure out if Az will work for you!!

1. "suburbs" back here are a bit different from out east....see if you can google/map/whatever places like Picture Rocks, Corona de Tucson, Catalina (town of), Three Points, and the area along Kinney Rd N of Ajo Way and see what you think....remember larger lots will be pricier even a little bit out of town

2. as long as you are a nice person, don't drive like you're from Michigan (!), smile, the whole bit, I think you'll be fine out here....lots of transplants out here.....(but get that Az plate asap!)....

3. recreation may be a little better because of the year-round availability....Tucson metro has 1M people, so there's a lot of stuff to do, but you'll need to figure out where to look for it....

Old 01-19-2012, 05:10 AM

192 posts, read 293,750 times
Pretty much everyone I know who came from Michigan (including relatives) stayed in Arizona. I lived in Michigan for about 2 months (June/July) in my younger days and I got very good memories. Went up somewhere in the northern tip....gorgeous and picturesque! I think you'll do fine here.

#1 - Not sure about this. Surrounding rural areas may take much more 15 minutes...more like an hour.

#2 - People in Tucson are pretty much welcoming and down to earth. I'd guess half the folks here came from out of state.

#3 - Can't compare entertainment to Michigan (just a kid back then) but I think Tucson has more to offer for outdoor rec. You'd have the desert and forest with pine trees with a lake all in one area. Lots of bike and hiking trails. There's also surrounding mountains with lush greenery such as Mt. Lemmon if you want to camp or even fish (there's a lake on top of Mt. Lemmon). They do have bars, clubs, concerts etc... but if it's not enough for you, you can always go to San Diego/Los Angeles/Vegas about a days boring drive (there's Amtrak and the Tucson Int'l Airport, also).

Last edited by acatalanb; 01-19-2012 at 05:53 AM..

Old 01-19-2012, 10:02 AM

60 posts, read 66,374 times
1. There are definitely areas within a 15 minute drive of the parts of the city that will fit your criteria. Marana and Picture Rocks are both about a 15 minute drive to shopping/etc on the northwest side of town. You can find nice 1-10 acre properties with houses that aren't in a development for under $100K if you are patient. If you have more money to spend - you can buy a nice ranch-like property.

2. The only resentment for out-of-staters are those that come with an attitude or bring their obnoxious behaviors with them. (e.g. if you're from New England and drive like you did back there and cut people off and are in a hurry all the time you might stand out. Or if you come with a rude attitude - people will be unfriendly right back). But if you relax and are friendly - you'll fit right in and nobody will care where you're from.

3. I've lived in the Chicago area and the northeast - so I can only compare to those two regions. There aren't really theme parks or some hot night clubs like in those locations - but there are more outdoor type activities (like hiking, biking, etc. year round) If you are used to conveniences of a city like Chicago or Boston this may not be your thing (Phoenix would compare better) - but if you're from the suburbs and want something in between a typical suburb and city and don't like traffic - then Tucson is fantastic. If you like rural recreation - many people in the rural areas have ATV's, dirt bikes, horses, etc. and have a ball since there is so much open state land nearby.

After being here for almost a year now - you couldn't pay me enough money to move back to either IL or New England. I'm spoiled by the great weather, the beautiful sunrises/sunsets, the amazing stars at night, lack of traffic, friendly people, etc.

Last edited by luvmyelement; 01-19-2012 at 10:05 AM.. Reason: updated

Old 01-19-2012, 04:18 PM

Well thank you, it warrants a visit I have asked many people questions and the overall response is similar unless someone seems disgruntled. I am living in a rural area 8-15 minutes from a town in all directions and I like that setting here in my state, so I would love that there in (AZ) as well.

I tend to drive fast on the open road, never normally in town/city limits or populated areas and no road rage from me, I usually gas it and leave them sitting if they cause trouble even in town if need be.

I would love the ranch setting but cant afford anything like that or even close to it, probably cheaper rent will be the case so if that qualifies for rural area I would be doing that. IS that possible?

I would like to work on a ranch in some capacity but not shoveling doo doo as a regular thing. or I can do the professional jobs too or both. staying on topic: I need to direct message someone or have them Dm me about farm tractor use on public roads in AZ. I am not seeing that in the forums.

Old 01-19-2012, 04:47 PM

342 posts, read 365,250 times
You can probably find a cheap rental in the rural areas of Sahuarita. You would be about 15 min from downtown Tucson.

Old 01-19-2012, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jksn75 View Post
You can probably find a cheap rental in the rural areas of Sahuarita. You would be about 15 min from downtown Tucson.
Thanks but will I need my CCW renewed in that area? I read a post somewhere in here illegals like to take cars from Tucson and drive them across the border in whole or in parts, is that true?

Old 01-19-2012, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jksn75 View Post
I have researched that area, I would say no CCW needed by the looks anyway I book marked a rental house in Sahuarita (AZ) it looks suitable but looks like cluster housing that would not like certain vehicle types for off road uses parked outside

Old 01-19-2012, 10:29 PM

3,310 posts, read 4,475,798 times
farm tractors are almost never seen on public roads around Tucson....while allowed, of course, in the conduct of business, there just isn't much farmland here to begin with!....pecan orchards down near Sahuarita....and some irrigated land NW of Tucson around old Marana and further NW near Eloy and Casa Grande....

this is going to be different from MI!!!!

Old 01-20-2012, 06:37 AM

342 posts, read 365,250 times
Yea, if you end up in a cluster housing, you won't be able to park your tractor due to HOA regs. Sahuarita is pretty safe. I don't think a CCW would be necessary, but it doesnt hurt to apply for it. It is legal to carry a weapon in an exposed holster. Car theft does occur, but I wouldn't say it is prevalent in Sahuarita.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson