U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-28-2012, 12:02 PM

812 posts, read 711,350 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
For a special evening, I'm a big fan of North at La Encantada. Great ambiance and food worth the money.
I generally am not a fan of Fox Restaurants, but North is an exception. Very good food and like most of the restaurants in the La Encontada area it has a great view.

Quote:
IA little further east on Ina (at Shannon) is what I consider the best burger and fries. Grumpy's is a simple place that can't seem to decide if it is a family diner or a sports bar, but that's OK with me as long as they keep putting out grilled-to-order burgers and the hottest, most flavorful fries I've had in ages. I have no idea about the rest of the menu since a burger is the only thing I've ever eaten there. Friendly wait staff, too. My brother says they have breakfast, too, but I've never been.
I've only been to Grumpy's once and wasn't impressed, but it was close to closing time so it may not have been the same experience you get earlier in the night. My wife goes there frequently and really likes it.

For my family, the hands-down best burger in Tucson is at Monkey Burger (downtown and Broadway & Craycroft). Great, juicy burgers, fries, sweet potato fries and shakes. The chips aren't too great, but for us that is the only negative.
Enjoy Gourmet Hamburgers at Monkey Burger in Tucson, Arizona - MonkeyBurgerRestaurant.com

Quote:
I take visiting kids to Sauce at Casas Adobes Plaza (Ina and Oracle) and then next door to Frost for to-die-for gelato.
Sauce doesn't do a lot for me; Frost gelato is good, but if you want the hands-down best gelato in Tucson go to Allegro (SE corner of 6th and Campbell, just blocks away from the UofA). Authentic, co-owned and run by Ivan (from Italy), who loves to play with the flavors and will surprise you with his creations.

Welcome to Allegro!

Quote:
I highly recommend Frogs Bakery in the same plaza for lunch on the patio or baked goods to go. But it's authentic French and therefore a bit expensive — all that butter in the croissants is pricey. But worth it. I take out-of-town guests there and they are jealous.
Simply awesome!

As for Mexican food, I am big fan of two places: Zivaz and Cafe Poca Cosa. Neither one are what you might consider "traditional" in the way El Minuto is, but they are both wonderful.

Zivaz (Broadway & Swan) is family run using family recipes. They have a great burger (mid-week it is only $5), unique items like chicken in a creamy chipotle sauce in addition to the normal tacos, burritos and enchiladas. If you are a big eater (or want leftovers), try the Tour de Zivaz. For $14 you get whatever the chef feels like putting together for you, typically two entrees, an enchilada, rice, beans and a small salad. You may or may not get regular menu items; some days they are very creative with this. I am also a fan of the Rib Eye tacos.
Zivaz

Cafe Poca Cosa is in a downtown parking garage (Scott & Pennington) of all places, but don't let that fool you. The food is simply amazing and ever changing. They don't have a menu, the have a chalk-board that changes twice a day and the waiter will bring it around and describe the dishes. Look this one up, it has a national reputation.
Cafe Poca Cosa Mexican Restaurant | Tucson, Arizona

Most of these places are not too close to Marana, but they are worth the trip!

A few final tidbits - check out the newspaper for your side of town, The Explorer. You probably get it for free in your driveway every week and it does a better job covering your part of town than the Star does. It also has restaurant reviews that will be focused on the NW side.
The Explorer: The Voice of Marana, Oro Valley and Northwest Tucson

A relatively new phenomenon for Tucson, the Food Truck Roundup will be at the Tower Theaters in Marana on Monday, March 5. These are not the roach-coaches many people think of when they hear "Food Truck", there is some top-notch grub here.
Welcome to Facebook - Log In, Sign Up or Learn More

Tucson Food Trucks | Tucson Food Truck Roundup | Food Truck Catering | Food Truck Resources

The Tucson Weekly generally has the best restaurant reviews in town, get it for free everywhere or online.
Tucson Weekly: The Best of Tucson, News, and Everything That Matters

Tucson Originals is an organization of LOCAL restaurants who have banded together for the greater good. As a fan of local restaurants instead of chains I am all for this, but those reasons aside they have a couple of great programs us diners can take advantage of - the Rewards Card (spend $150 at participating restaurants and get a $10 credit) and their frequent Gift Certificate Sales (typically 15% off prepaid gift certificates) which make for a wonderful excuse to try a new place.

Last edited by Prodigal Native; 02-28-2012 at 12:50 PM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2012, 01:57 PM

484 posts, read 497,970 times
vegetarian: Govindas

Old 02-28-2012, 02:10 PM

14,205 posts, read 17,777,002 times
The Cherry slush they are serving at Eegee's right now (with actual cherries in it, and not bright red Maraschinos) is just EXCELLENT. I wish I had known, I'd have had one every day I was down there this month. I think it's one of the flavors of the month, so hurry!

Old 02-28-2012, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
The Cherry slush they are serving at Eegee's right now (with actual cherries in it, and not bright red Maraschinos) is just EXCELLENT. I wish I had known, I'd have had one every day I was down there this month. I think it's one of the flavors of the month, so hurry!
There are plans to expand to Phoenix (there is one in Casa Grande already) so you may not need to drive quite so far in the future.

Old 02-28-2012, 02:54 PM

14,205 posts, read 17,777,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigal Native View Post
There are plans to expand to Phoenix (there is one in Casa Grande already) so you may not need to drive quite so far in the future.
Very good news... I seem to remember a few Phoenix locations in the distant past that didn't make it. If it happens again, I hope they stick this time!

Old 02-28-2012, 03:05 PM

3,389 posts, read 3,448,773 times
Quote:
I LOVE Eegee's slushes!!!

Old 02-28-2012, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Very good news... I seem to remember a few Phoenix locations in the distant past that didn't make it. If it happens again, I hope they stick this time!
IIRC, those plans were announced a couple of years ago when the founders sold the chain. I am sure the recession has slowed things down, but I bet they will be up there in another year or two.

Old 02-28-2012, 10:16 PM

25 posts, read 22,917 times
Default Great American Food

My wife,several friends, and I dined at The Metropolitan Grill last month and found the meals to be well prepared and very satisfying.We sampled each others dishes and were surprised to find them all absolutely top notch.

Old 03-01-2012, 01:03 AM

434 posts, read 664,307 times
I have a few favorites in the north, but not too many as I don't go up there very often.
Mosaic Cafe Dos (great breakfast) for Mexican. Harvest, Saffron for Indian, Noble Hops, Thunder Canyon (fantastic happy hour and excellent beer), and Sushi Garden for sushi and Korean (it's owned by Koreans). I also like Blanco Taco at La Encantada, if only for the view and the atmosphere is nice. Vito & Shlomo's, across the street, is also very good.

If you're willing to go into the city more, Union Public House is my new Americana favorite in town. One of the best burgers in the city there.

Mexican (you can start a war with this topic): Crossroads, San Carlos (on Silverbell), Mi Nidito (get it to go), Little Poca Cosa (only open for breakfast and lunch) and BK's. BK's has, I think, the best carne asada in the city. The one on 1st is a regular sit-down place. Unbelievably cheap too. Oh, and El Sur on 22nd. $5 fajitas at lunch and they're just amazing. The other food is great too.

Sesfood: have to go with Kingfisher. Always had good food there. If you're more adventurous, Mariscos Chihuahua is excellent. I think they've got the best ceviche in the city. The location on Grant is the best (and the only one that takes cards).

"Asian": If you want real Japanese food, Yoshimatsu is really the only place to go. You can get better sushi elsewhere though. Old Peking on Speedway has been my go-to Chinese place since they reopened under new ownership. I also like the place on Fort Lowell. I lived in China for a number of years, so I have really high standards. They do it the best in the city, but it's not like what you'll get in other places with higher Chinese populations.
The Sushi Garden on Broadway has, IMHO, the best Korean food. The sushi isn't bad either.

Sushi: I like On a Roll, Downtown. Their specialty rolls are awesome and they have a fantastic happy hour. There are a number of good sushi places in town though.

Old 03-02-2012, 08:03 PM

3,490 posts, read 5,106,449 times
had a successful dinner the other night at The Hub, downtown on Congress....sorta new and bordering on hip (for Tucson), but friendly, low-key service and the food salvaged the scene for me.....down a couple doors is a much newer place called Playground, owned by the same person and mostly a bar - now THAT place is a bit tragically hip for Tucson - trying a bit too hard, in my opinion
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson